New Parsec refill: Massive Re-Up Parsec by DNA Labs

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
EnochLight

24 Feb 2015

Has anyone checked this out?  600 patches is massive, but I saw that their only other refill (Re-Up Quad) has kind of a crappy review.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... up-parsec/

The demos in this one sound pretty interesting, though.

Attachments
REUP_PARSEC_REFILL_ART_ICON_354x374.jpg.360x360_q95.jpg
REUP_PARSEC_REFILL_ART_ICON_354x374.jpg.360x360_q95.jpg (65.52 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Theo.M

24 Feb 2015

Hi, well parsec certainly is getting a lot of attention, deservedly so. It's so cool how many refills are coming out for RE's, and unique sounds one simply doesn't have in other hosts.

I am going to buy their quad fill as it's inexpensive and take the risk, and give you guys a thorough review sometime soon.

I just remember reading some thought the demo was average, can you tell me where you actually saw the negative review for it?

Cheers and thanks for the heads up on yet another 'sec refill!

EnochLight

24 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:Hi, well parsec certainly is getting a lot of attention, deservedly so. It's so cool how many refills are coming out for RE's, and unique sounds one simply doesn't have in other hosts.

I am going to buy their quad fill as it's inexpensive and take the risk, and give you guys a thorough review sometime soon.

I just remember reading some thought the demo was average, can you tell me where you actually saw the negative review for it?

For their Quad refill, it's just the shop rating I was going by. Let me know what you think if you end up getting it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Theo.M

25 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:Hi, well parsec certainly is getting a lot of attention, deservedly so. It's so cool how many refills are coming out for RE's, and unique sounds one simply doesn't have in other hosts.

EnochLight wrote: For their Quad refill, it's just the shop rating I was going by. Let me know what you think if you end up getting it.
I did, and i accidentally pressed, totally accidentally with my finger, 5 stars. Not even within 60 seconds can you adjust your rating with props, sigh. Will test it when i wake up, exhausted now. Will go through every patch in the am and write an honest opinion.

TheFilterMob

25 Feb 2015

Hey, I have the new "Massive Parsec Re-Up" refill:

My honest opinion is that its added a ton of real power to my Parsec arsenal, don't get me wrong, Parsec came with some great patches but this refill showcases its full potential (gated, filtered, strings, pads, thick club leads, modern dub step bass & by the way modulated heavily)….I have not tried the other Parsec refills because the DEMOS were really weak & unappealing ….oh well 

In Conclusion:
The Massive Parsec Re-Up is 5 stars in my opinion!

Oh and the basses that come with it (P-808 Drum set) are INSANE...…PURE INCREDIBLY MASSIVE POWER!!!
I'm a Propellerhead for life!

EnochLight

25 Feb 2015

TheFilterMob wrote:Hey, I have the new "Massive Parsec Re-Up" refill:

My honest opinion is that its added a ton of real power to my Parsec arsenal, don't get me wrong, Parsec came with some great patches but this refill showcases its full potential (gated, filtered, strings, pads, thick club leads, modern dub step bass & by the way modulated heavily)….I have not tried the other Parsec refills because the DEMOS were really weak & unappealing ….oh well 

In Conclusion:
The Massive Parsec Re-Up is 5 stars in my opinion!

Oh and the basses that come with it (P-808 Drum set) are INSANE...…PURE INCREDIBLY MASSIVE POWER!!!
Thanks for that.  It really is tempting - the price is great and the sheer amount of patches is huge.  I was hesitant with no Combi at first, but might take the plunge anyway.

Cheers

FiatLux

25 Feb 2015

I just picked it up.
I have to say I was leary at first,
but  ended up really pleasantly surprised at the quality.
I just also picked up the Soundcells -  Pasrsec refill this week as well,
and I actually prefer the patches on this one.
I would actually not heistate to recommend this refill.
I would also suggest that DNA Labs redo their website, because I think it
makes users think twice before buying their refills.

EnochLight

25 Feb 2015

FiatLux wrote:I just picked it up.
I have to say I was leary at first,
but  ended up really pleasantly surprised at the quality.
I just also picked up the Soundcells -  Pasrsec refill this week as well,
and I actually prefer the patches on this one.
I would actually not heistate to recommend this refill.
I would also suggest that DNA Labs redo their website, because I think it
makes users think twice before buying their refills.
Thanks for your comments.  So, you prefer Massive Re-Up Parsec by DNA Labs or Soundcells Parsec refill?  It's hard to interpret the way you phrased it.

FiatLux

25 Feb 2015

Yes.  Personally I like the patches in the Massive refill better than the Soundcells.
Soundcells is still a good refill, just my preference.
Plus a lot  more patches.

Theo.M

28 Feb 2015

Ok guys have had their Quad refill for 3 days now and haven't been able to find a single usable sound. :frown:

I am posting this here as i have noticed in this topic that 2 new members have come to ONLY post how amazing dna labs parsec refills is and compare it to the soundcells one, one post even in a nasty but clever way. Sorry guys but that seems suspect and if you don't mind i'd appreciate you clearing that up, even if I am in the wrong.

I am going to say one thing right now.. Soundcells is one of the most gifted sound designers I have ever heard in my entire life across any synth or combination of. That guy is a genius. What he can get out of the FSB even is quite frankly amazing. I'll be buying his much cheaper parsec refill ASAP.. as i trust him. I'd rather have a 13 Euro parsec refill with 180 sounds where ever single sound is good than a 40 dollar refill with 500 sounds where I have to hunt to find good ones.

I have 2 dna labs refills now, hollywood strings and the quad..I took the risk on quad as  it was the first commercial fill for it and i thought for $19 i would take a chance and see what their synth design skills were like.. but there is just no way i will spend 40 bucks as an experiment to try their parsec refill. They should provide 20 demo patches for free like almost every other refill designer does, so one can judge the quality. Hollywood strings is OK, there are some good string pads there. But there are also some very poor sounds. And it's still 30 bucks for a small string library that has a very niche use as it's really only pads mainly. So i won't be buying from this company again.

Anyway back to their quad refill,I realize why it had one star now.. the thing is i accidentally hit 5 with my fat thumb (touch) and tried to correct it within a few seconds but the system is permanent and never allows a change. Hopefully some update will come to it that will let me alter my rating as now it's 3 stars and defo doesn't deserve that.

The basses all bar a couple are all sliders done in an unmusical way so they can't really fit into any genre and be "played" with a KB musically, and really thin anyway. There is maybe one nice edm bass there that is sort of punchy. One.
The bells are like tin cans, and the pads are well....weird.. I don't know how to describe them - there's no particular genre they fit into, they certainly can't be used as layering for other sounds, perhaps for some etherial music they might have some use here and there with one note sounds. 

Everything else is below average and I am very disappointed. Back to RP's Quad sounds for me!

EnochLight

28 Feb 2015

Theo.M wrote:Ok guys have had their Quad refill for 3 days now and haven't been able to find a single usable sound. :frown:

I am posting this here as i have noticed in this topic that 2 new members have come to ONLY post how amazing dna labs parsec refills is and compare it to the soundcells one, one post even in a nasty but clever way. Sorry guys but that seems suspect and if you don't mind i'd appreciate you clearing that up, even if I am in the wrong.

I am going to say one thing right now.. Soundcells is one of the most gifted sound designers I have ever heard in my entire life across any synth or combination of. That guy is a genius. What he can get out of the FSB even is quite frankly amazing. I'll be buying his much cheaper parsec refill ASAP.. as i trust him. I'd rather have a 13 Euro parsec refill with 180 sounds where ever single sound is good than a 40 dollar refill with 500 sounds where I have to hunt to find good ones.

I have 2 dna labs refills now, hollywood strings and the quad..I took the risk on quad as  it was the first commercial fill for it and i thought for $19 i would take a chance and see what their synth design skills were like.. but there is just no way i will spend 40 bucks as an experiment to try their parsec refill. They should provide 20 demo patches for free like almost every other refill designer does, so one can judge the quality. Hollywood strings is OK, there are some good string pads there. But there are also some very poor sounds. And it's still 30 bucks for a small string library that has a very niche use as it's really only pads mainly. So i won't be buying from this company again.

Anyway back to their quad refill,I realize why it had one star now.. the thing is i accidentally hit 5 with my fat thumb (touch) and tried to correct it within a few seconds but the system is permanent and never allows a change. Hopefully some update will come to it that will let me alter my rating as now it's 3 stars and defo doesn't deserve that.

The basses all bar a couple are all sliders done in an unmusical way so they can't really fit into any genre and be "played" with a KB musically, and really thin anyway. There is maybe one nice edm bass there that is sort of punchy. One.
The bells are like tin cans, and the pads are well....weird.. I don't know how to describe them - there's no particular genre they fit into, they certainly can't be used as layering for other sounds, perhaps for some etherial music they might have some use here and there with one note sounds. 

Everything else is below average and I am very disappointed. Back to RP's Quad sounds for me!
Thanks for your comments, Theo.  I ended up picking up the SoundCells Parsec refill on a lark, and it's... ok.  There's no arps or sequenced/patterned content, which I do miss, but some of the atmosphere Combi are cool.  I found the bass, lead, pad, and key Combi... eh.. ok.  Nothing mind blowing.
I do agree that SoundCells are usually top notch, so perhaps my expectations were a bit higher.  I dunno.. maybe I'm just not as in-love with Parsec as I thought I was.  I want to, I've just yet to find a soundbank that blows my skirt up.   In comparison, I can load a few patches from kHs One and go apeshit on it - I just love the sound of subtractive synths, I suppose.

Was considering picking up the SoundCells refill for Polysix and Anitdote.  

Theo.M

01 Mar 2015

Thanks Enoch, that's disappointing too then. I have the Nucleus parsec so will go through that and see what i think, as i haven't yet,  and will pick up the exode one and may give soundcells a miss this time. I do like a lot of the factory parsec sounds so i don't think there's an issue with the synth. I am fairly certain the exode one will simply be top notch. 

FiatLux

01 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote:Ok guys have had their Quad refill for 3 days now and haven't been able to find a single usable sound. :frown:

Hey Theo,
Just want to address your comment, since you think it is so "suspect", and "nasty in a clever way".   So much for being entitled to your own tastes.
Actually, I have a lot of respect for Harald at Soundcells. I own nearly every refill and have in been in regular communication with him for about 7 years (since he started Soundcells).
Read my post, I never said anything derogatory about his refill, just said I preferred the patches in the DNA refill.  The other poster that made the comment about the Parsec Signature refill being very bread and butter is in my opinion an accurate assessment of the refill.  That doesn't mean its bad.
It is funny how your opinions can also flip-flop.
I remember your review of the "Hollywood Stings" refill on the PH forums as being very favorable when you initially bought it. I remember you saying that one patch alone was worth the money.
Anyways, back to the relavent point. I still stand by my opinion that I really like the patches in the Parsec-Massive refill.  So maybe we can put your conspiracy to rest.
Thanks,
ronjacob

FiatLux

01 Mar 2015

Of all the Parsec refills out there (I think I own them all).
The Nucleus SoundLab one is to me the strongest.
The combinators really take it to a level above all the other Parsec refills in my opinion.

Theo.M

01 Mar 2015

FiatLux wrote:

FiatLux wrote:
Hey Theo,
Just want to address your comment, since you think it is so "suspect", and "nasty in a clever way".   So much for being entitled to your own tastes.
Actually, I have a lot of respect for Harald at Soundcells. I own nearly every refill and have in been in regular communication with him for about 7 years (since he started Soundcells).
Read my post, I never said anything derogatory about his refill, just said I preferred the patches in the DNA refill.  The other poster that made the comment about the Parsec Signature refill being very bread and butter is in my opinion an accurate assessment of the refill.  That doesn't mean its bad.
It is funny how your opinions can also flip-flop.
I remember your review of the "Hollywood Stings" refill on the PH forums as being very favorable when you initially bought it. I remember you saying that one patch alone was worth the money.
Anyways, back to the relavent point. I still stand by my opinion that I really like the patches in the Parsec-Massive refill.  So maybe we can put your conspiracy to rest.
Thanks,
ronjacob
actually i am sorry as it wasn't you and i meant to edit my post and forgot! It was just one poster who has only come here talking about dna refills , 4 posts only about them and talking down about soundcells. You joined a while ago and talk about other stuff too. My bad.

Anyway re hollywood strings, yeah some great patches and sure it was worth it but after buying euphonic for $49, there is no need for it and unlike euphonic it does have a lot of unusable patches. The quad refill is just not good at all, and i am definitely not the only one to think that going by the one star it had at props shop.
I didn't flip flop as such, i liked it 60 minutes after i bought it as i finally had some decent string pads in reason, but in retrospect after much use over time, opinions can change. This is why i waited almost 4 days of full testing before i commented on the quad refill, as not to give an initial impression review.

FiatLux

01 Mar 2015

No worries Theo.
Thanks for clarifying.
That being said, I actually bought the DNa refill on EBay, where there is a Make An Offer option on the auction. So I picked it up at a fraction of the asking price.
Anyways, still might not be your cup of tea.

Theo.M

02 Mar 2015

FiatLux wrote:No worries Theo. Thanks for clarifying. That being said, I actually bought the DNa refill on EBay, where there is a Make An Offer option on the auction. So I picked it up at a fraction of the asking price. Anyways, still might not be your cup of tea.

ok i found their shop and was considering it for cheap, a fraction of the cost is OK to try it for 600 patches but they want almost 30 bucks ship to oz.

And i found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REASON-REFILLS- ... 1293470459

Looks like nexus sampled patches, i used to own nexus complete and they are all the exact names of nexus expansions, they say "modeled after", but if i listened to some of the sounds I would know instantly if the samples themselves are from nexus. Some nexus sounds are very distinct and would be impossible to recreate in reason without sampling nexus itself (for example the singing diva in the dance orchestra 2 expansion). I will drop refx a link so they can find out for themselves perhaps buy one themselves. Something just doesn't seem right about these guys, well it doesn't sit right with me anyway. They are also selling angular momentum's vst's which are windows synthmaker vst's and mostly freeware besides a couple so I might drop angular momentum a note to to make sure they have permission to sell them. Cheers.

FiatLux

02 Mar 2015

FiatLux wrote:No worries Theo. Thanks for clarifying. That being said, I actually bought the DNa refill on EBay, where there is a Make An Offer option on the auction. So I picked it up at a fraction of the asking price. Anyways, still might not be your cup of tea.
Theo.M wrote:

ok i found their shop and was considering it for cheap, a fraction of the cost is OK to try it for 600 patches but they want almost 30 bucks ship to oz.

And i found this:
Theo.M wrote:
Looks like nexus sampled patches, i used to own nexus complete and they are all the
Theo.M wrote:exact
Theo.M wrote: names of nexus expansions, they say "modeled after", but if i listened to some of the sounds I would know instantly if the samples themselves are from nexus. Some nexus sounds are very distinct and would be impossible to recreate in reason without sampling nexus itself (for example the singing diva in the dance orchestra 2 expansion). I will drop refx a link so they can find out for themselves perhaps buy one themselves. Something just doesn't seem right about these guys, well it doesn't sit right with me anyway. They are also selling angular momentum's vst's which are windows synthmaker vst's and mostly freeware besides a couple so I might drop angular momentum a note to to make sure they have permission to sell them. Cheers.

Wow.  Doesn't seem possible to be that it is legit!
That being said, I guess it is karma.  Manuel Schleiss the guy behind Nexus  and Vengeance
samples has been accused for years of illegally sampling other people's material.

http://waveformless.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... mples.html

Lots of other links if you google it.
Sad state of affairs...I might just have to retract my recommendation.

Theo.M

02 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote:

And i found this:
Theo.M wrote:
Looks like nexus sampled patches, i used to own nexus complete and they are all the
Theo.M wrote:exact
Theo.M wrote: names of nexus expansions, they say "modeled after", but if i listened to some of the sounds I would know instantly if the samples themselves are from nexus. Some nexus sounds are very distinct and would be impossible to recreate in reason without sampling nexus itself (for example the singing diva in the dance orchestra 2 expansion). I will drop refx a link so they can find out for themselves perhaps buy one themselves. Something just doesn't seem right about these guys, well it doesn't sit right with me anyway. They are also selling angular momentum's vst's which are windows synthmaker vst's and mostly freeware besides a couple so I might drop angular momentum a note to to make sure they have permission to sell them. Cheers.

FiatLux wrote: Wow.  Doesn't seem possible to be that it is legit!
That being said, I guess it is karma.  Manuel Schleiss the guy behind Nexus  and Vengeance
samples has been accused for years of illegally sampling other people's material.
http://waveformless.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... mples.html
FiatLux wrote:
Lots of other links if you google it.
Sad state of affairs...I might just have to retract my recommendation.

But he's answered all those comments and cleared it all up. Not to go too OT but it's not illegal to sample hardware that doesn't itself use samples. You definitely can't sample software though and sell it for profit without permission AFAIK. All of the nexus stuff is all his own samples, all legit. I have known those guys and done business with them for over a decade and even with a flat out question asking something direct like that, they always respond professionally and explain. So i hope DNA Labs can do the same and tell me I am wrong, and forgive my being a skeptic at this point. I personally believe Manuel and his replies that he is legit, and I also believe others who envy Nexus' unparalleled sales success (it's made millions of dollars in sales) might have a stick up their butt so to speak and want to sour his rep. Let's not forget Manuel is only one party involved, there are plenty 3rd party sound designers like Bigtone and 7Skies that get affected by nexus' success, as well as all the other refx partners like Mike who owns reFX and his wife, and their support staff.

I apologise in advance if my thoughts on this matter with DNA is incorrect and I invite them here to clear this all up, but to please understand how it looks from a potential customer's perspective. Cheers

TheFilterMob

05 Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo.M
Ok guys have had their Quad refill for 3 days now and haven't been able to find a single usable sound.  :frown:

RESPONSE:
Hi Theo,
I suppose your comment was about me since I seem to be the other guy that enjoys DNA labs refills…..Well I hope you understand that this is simply matter of opinion, I hope you can receive my opinions with a respectful reaction instead of concluding that it's a conspiracy (wow).  We probably don't make the same type of music so why would we agree on sounds?  This is totally fine with me…and I respect your opinion, and um what is so suspect about all of this?   What was nasty and clever, stating an opinion?  Anyway I wish nothing but the best to you and I hope we can agree to disagree on future topics of opinion buddy.  

lol don't take life so seriously bro! Take it easy…..

Attachments
fruit_face_by_hiaamir-d34wlj7.jpg
fruit_face_by_hiaamir-d34wlj7.jpg (128.23 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
I'm a Propellerhead for life!

• Information