KB6 Drum Machine archive legitimacy?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Whoopdee

19 Feb 2015

Hi guys,

If you didn't know, I run the site ReasonFreak where I archive almost anything that has to do with Reason or sound design that can be used in reason (non compressed sound packs, ie ReFills.)

I recently came across this website called [url=http://Hi,I'm very concerned about your site and where all the sounds came from. Some of us really care about how the sound was recorded, even up the the very little details like what cables were used.I'm concerned because I don't even see information on where the samples came from. You can't just generalize all the samples and group it into one excuse saying]KB6[/url] which has one of the largest drum machine collections to date. Apparently over 15 years in the works. My concern about this site is where he sourced all his samples. So I sent him an email, concerned, asking him if there was information available on who sampled what drum machine and how it was sampled.

Here is the message I sent, and I'll follow up with the reply

Me:

Hi,

I'm very concerned about your site and where all the sounds came from. Some of us really care about how the sound was recorded, even up the the very little details like what cables were used.

I'm concerned because I don't even see information on where the samples came from. You can't just generalize all the samples and group it into one excuse saying "I got them from private people and from websites over 13 years." We need more information.

For every single drum machine you release, you need to source where it came from, at the VERY LEAST. Otherwise it is disingenuous to the people who actually went through the work of sampling those drum machines.

best,

Giuseppe T.

KB6:

Most of the last years Updates are User Contributed, they sent them to me directly by mail.
Because of the privacy of the People, there will be no info on where they came from, only a Name for Reference. Some of the newer ones have additional Info where they came from, but this is rare because people wont lose privacy.
Btw, this is more than 18 Years now, and i didnt care the various ftp servers from the last century in the past where some of the stuff came from. they are all dead.
And because this is all work of private people and not professional producers, they are mostly not interested in what cables was used at sampling.
This work is as is. Take it or leave it.

Best Regards
Kai

_______

After getting this letter, I immediately wanted to black list his site on ReasonFreak (bottom of the list). But I'd like to get opinions on other ReFill producers first. I'm concerned about this site because he could be lying and taking the sounds from commercial sound designers. He says these people want to remain private but that just doesn't click because I don't know any Sound Designer who doesn't want to be credited for their work.

Thanks for your concern,

-008'

19 Feb 2015

He's definitely not stealing any commercial stuff! (AFAIK)

He (and the many users' contributions) have been just sampling and uploading whatever machine they/we/he/you could get hands on. For many years now...

Check out the small pack from the Zoom RT-123... Contributed by yours truly. ;) should have a text file with my name in there.

A better (or scarier) question might be: "Which, if any, commercial 'sound designers' are just repurposing the KB6 stuff, and simply offering it up as their own?"
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Whoopdee

19 Feb 2015

Thanks for the info 008, and yes, good counter question!

Just added KB6 to the "Notable Sound Archive" list.

joeyluck

19 Feb 2015

Well, when it comes to sample libraries, I just look for the 'True Velocity Technology' branding as that is the only info I need to know to be ensured that it is composed of original and/or non-pirated samples.

:sneaky:

Grinder One

19 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:Well, when it comes to sample libraries, I just look for the 'True Velocity Technology' branding as that is the only info I need to know to be ensured that it is composed of original and/or non-pirated samples.

:sneaky:
ROFLMAO :)

MDTerps2015

19 Feb 2015

Hey 008 how are the sounds as far as clarity and bit. Are they quality samples????????

150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

-008'

19 Feb 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:Hey 008 how are the sounds as far as clarity and bit. Are they quality samples????????
I dont think there is any set numbers that all kits follow. IIRC, I think the KB6 samples pretty much run the entire range of possible rates...since there have been so many different contributors.

That said....In the back of my mind I *might* remember the guy who runs it asking for 24bit donations at the time, but i can't really remember for sure right now.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

• Information