A question about Propellerhead preset credits

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
joeyluck

05 Feb 2015

Not sure what can be answered...and if there's an NDA or not.

I understand that many of the talented programmers in our community create patches for Propellerhead devices. But why no credits in the patch names (in the form of initials)? Why nothing outlined in the manual?

Just curious really. Take Parsec for example. Lots of outstanding patches, but no way for me to know who programmed what. Is there payment whether monetary or in the form of a free device (in lieu of credit)? As a programmer/ReFill creator, I would think that the patch credit would hold great value with the exposure it gives.

For me, as a purchaser of ReFills, I would like to know who programmed what as it might peak my interest in their ReFills.

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:Not sure what can be answered...and if there's an NDA or not.

I understand that many of the talented programmers in our community create patches for Propellerhead devices. But why no credits in the patch names (in the form of initials)? Why nothing outlined in the manual?

Just curious really. Take Parsec for example. Lots of outstanding patches, but no way for me to know who programmed what. Is there payment whether monetary or in the form of a free device (in lieu of credit)? As a programmer/ReFill creator, I would think that the patch credit would hold great value with the exposure it gives.

For me, as a purchaser of ReFills, I would like to know who programmed what as it might peak my interest in their ReFills.

We get our names in the "opening credits" of Reason, but that's it. Best you can do is post here asking about a specific patch and see if anyone responds!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

05 Feb 2015

selig wrote:
We get our names in the "opening credits" of Reason
Lol What does that mean?

There's too many too often that I am curious about to go asking. If not in the patch name, why can't it be attributed in the manuals?

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

selig wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Lol What does that mean?

There's too many too often that I am curious about to go asking. If not in the patch name, why can't it be attributed in the manuals?
Check out the "About Reason" menu choice - the splash screen has rolling credits which include the patch creators (name only). Takes about a minute to get to the "good stuff"! I'm there, right between Tom Pritchard and Hank Shockley (Woot!). ;)

You'll have to ask the Props why there's no further documentation on that front.

Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

05 Feb 2015

selig wrote:

joeyluck wrote:
Lol What does that mean?

selig wrote:
Check out the "About Reason" menu choice - the splash screen has rolling credits which include the patch creators (name only). Takes about a minute to get to the "good stuff"! I'm there, right between Tom Pritchard and Hank Shockley (Woot!). ;)

You'll have to ask the Props why there's no further documentation on that front.

Thanks. I'll check it out! But does this include individual REs such as Parsec?

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

selig wrote:

joeyluck wrote:
Lol What does that mean?

selig wrote:

joeyluck wrote:
Not that I'm aware of. But I did contribute some Parsec patches, and if you have a question about any of those I'm happy to answer!
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

05 Feb 2015

selig wrote:

joeyluck wrote:
Lol What does that mean?

selig wrote:

joeyluck wrote:
selig wrote:
Not that I'm aware of. But I did contribute some Parsec patches, and if you have a question about any of those I'm happy to answer!
Thanks! Like I said, I'm curious about most. So maybe I'll bug Propellerhead :)

selig
RE Developer

05 Feb 2015

Here's the handful that I submitted that were accepted (must have been in a "pad" mood that week):
;)

Patches:
Bubbly_Pad
Cosmic Monkies_Pad
Dynamic Analog_Pad
Northern Lights_Pad
Pluck Me_Poly
Sweepy Hollow_Pad
Whurly Synth_Pad

Combinators:
Cupcake with Sprinkles_Pad
Percussive Bass_Arp
Positive Feedback_Lead
Selig Audio, LLC

-008'

06 Feb 2015

Hi Joey! Here are the ones I made. :)
  • Circuit Circus
  • Delayzer
  • Perseus
  • Moon Birds
  • Cannot Land Here
  • Nagas Lrac
  • Landing Pad
  • Atmo Sphere
  • Bass Space
  • Dilithium
  • Flash Metal
  • Guitars on Mars
  • Hovering Pads
  • Impending
  • Nebulous
  • Overtones
  • Space Dust
  • Cesrap
  • Lead Ship
  • Droid BAss
  • Organism
  • Star Wind
  • Universal Pad
  • Water Chord
  • Brobot
Some drum sounds too i think were renamed or not used,  because i only had: Kick, Rim, Snare, Crash, Clap
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

JNeffLind

08 Feb 2015

Interesting. I always just assumed that props or individual devs made their own patches, meaning it was done by fulltime employees who were their "go to" patch creators.

I agree with Joeyluck that if I knew that a handful of my favorite patches all came from a specific person I'd be more inclined to spend money on that person's products. 

bitley

09 Feb 2015

I've made a number of presets too including "Amazing Lead" for Malström but my name was removed from the credits as early on as Reason 4 I think. I asked why and they said all ppl are removed after a certain time. Not the presets themselves though...

joeyluck

09 Feb 2015

selig wrote:Here's the handful that I submitted that were accepted (must have been in a "pad" mood that week):
;)

Patches:
Bubbly_Pad
Cosmic Monkies_Pad
Dynamic Analog_Pad
Northern Lights_Pad
Pluck Me_Poly
Sweepy Hollow_Pad
Whurly Synth_Pad

Combinators:
Cupcake with Sprinkles_Pad
Percussive Bass_Arp
Positive Feedback_Lead
-008' wrote:Hi Joey! Here are the ones I made.  :)  
  • Circuit Circus
  • Delayzer
  • Perseus
  • Moon Birds
  • Cannot Land Here
  • Nagas Lrac
  • Landing Pad
  • Atmo Sphere
  • Bass Space
  • Dilithium
  • Flash Metal
  • Guitars on Mars
  • Hovering Pads
  • Impending
  • Nebulous
  • Overtones
  • Space Dust
  • Cesrap
  • Lead Ship
  • Droid BAss
  • Organism
  • Star Wind
  • Universal Pad
  • Water Chord
  • Brobot
Some drum sounds too i think were renamed or not used,  because i only had: Kick, Rim, Snare, Crash, Clap
Thanks, fellas!  It's really nice to know who made what :)

joeyluck

09 Feb 2015

bitley™ wrote:I've made a number of presets too including "Amazing Lead" for Malström but my name was removed from the credits as early on as Reason 4 I think. I asked why and they said all ppl are removed after a certain time. Not the presets themselves though...
So what was the arrangement at the time you submitted patches?

bitley

10 Feb 2015

I was an employee running the support so no agreements were necessary. :) When we introduced Malström though, people were encouraged to submit patches (made from within the public beta version of Reason 2.0) and Fredrik 'Blank' administrated that, afai... can remember... :) I did all the preset "sounds" for Recycle too btw, like "My mad neighbour" (it was my mad neighbour) ;)

eXode

11 Feb 2015

For Parsec, I contributed with the following presets:

Combinator Patches
Add or Odd (Bass)
Amazing Pad (Pads)
Arping Duality (Rhythmic)
Grimey Wobbler (Bass)
Lazer Bass (Bass)
Motor Baller (Bass)
X-Pander (Rhythmic)

Device Patches
Club Square (Lead Synths)
Double Trancer (Lead Synths)
Ghost Saw (Lead Synths)
Col Stabd (Bass)
Illusion Bassd (Bass)
Maulerd (Bass)
Glistening (Pads)
Nebulae (Pads)
Space Dust (Pads)
Sparkling Rain (Pads)
Super Flanger (Pads)
Vast Distance (Pads)
Dark Drum (Percussion)
Musical Bucket (Percussion)
Tall Drum (Percussion)
Toy Piano (Percussion)
Strawberry Flute (Wind)
Glassy Keys (Keys)
Hammered Dulci (Keys)
Reich Xylo (Keys)
Shaper Shifter (Keys)
Snow Fall (Keys)

Don't know if every patch got used in the end. :)

• Information