Toyshop Gnomes wanted.

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
pushedbutton

02 Feb 2015

Hello.
Do you want to do something life changing?
I'd like to introduce Reason to our Art and Sensory department as a way to enhance the existing midi interface, which can be set up to control a couple of rotaries and four buttons, perfect for a combinator.
What I'd like to do is produce a Toybox Refill full of devices that can be left to run while the participants interact with the various sensors and switches at their disposal.
These can be used for relaxation or energizing sessions and should promote movement and interaction.
If this gains momentum I was thinking that contributors could get a free copy or when it's sufficiently amazing we could sell it to aid the charity I work for so they can buy more sensors and buttons.
When you're designing the patches consider how the sensors could be used to create an x-y pattern in a room and how this can be used to represent left-right and near-far, just one idea, but do what you like, we can move the sensors to make them do other stuff.
It's also worth noting that input isn't likely to be all that accurate or especially predictable, so any strategies to avoid a bum note and flatter the participant would be great.
This isn't limited to patches, If you want to make a full Reason document that contains a scene that can be played on a loop for 20 mins and has interactive elements then that would be really useful too.
So that's the deal, credits where they're due if this becomes a commercial product any funds raised go to Brothers of Charity Services in the UK.
Anyone?
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

pushedbutton

04 Feb 2015

So I'm guessing all this silence means you're working so hard on the idea that you don't even have time to reply.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.

Julibee

04 Feb 2015

I really like the idea --and I was part of an art show once, where I guy had programmed an interface so that people could create their "own" music through his programmed patches-- but I wouldn't know how to do what you need. :/
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

pushedbutton

04 Feb 2015

It's cool, I've had a few really interesting ideas sent to me so i may adapt them to provide some sort of set of templates to give people some ideas.
The problem is I'm working on Reason 8.1 so I might struggle to provide full example files to legacy users.

Julibee

04 Feb 2015

If you had a sample or idea starter or template... I would love to try something. I'm on 7x, tho....
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

pushedbutton

16 Feb 2015

Well to put it in a nutshell, imagine you don't have a keyboard and the only midi messages you can send are the rotaries and buttons on a combinator. That's the part your participant has control of,you can either come up with a strategy to generate the gates and cv's with the device or simply create a loop in the sequencer to interact with.

Lunesis

16 Feb 2015

You know you can have both Reason 7 and 8 right? Would be good to keep the project in Reason 7 until it is ready to be published. If you give people a template to work from they may be able to create variations easier than having to come up with something from scratch.

pushedbutton

16 Feb 2015

Yeah. I suppose I could install 7 again and do something but my todo list is growing at the moment... 
Here's another idea I'm working on..
http://www.reasontalk.com/post/reason-t ... me-7288283 :)

hydlide

16 Feb 2015

Does override mapping count? Eg, trigger A2 to do something different then G2?

pushedbutton

16 Feb 2015

Well ideally it's toys. The refill will probably be used by people who don't give a damn how it works. If you can get them working out-of-the-box it's a bonus but you can use every trick in the book. If you can't save in one combinator save the project but making it really simple for the user is the priority.
A likely scenario might be someone holding a wiimote to control rotary 3 and 4 and using distance sensors for rotary 1 and 2. The buttons might be assigned to the wiimote or some buttons on the floor.
As long as the person holding the wiimote is having and interesting time and the person who turned it all on for them doesn't have to have a degree in computer science to make the pretty noises happen then I think it's mission accomplished.

hydlide

16 Feb 2015

so in a nutshell, you mash buttons / throw in gestures and this gets translated to the reason rack, do I get this correct?

pushedbutton

16 Feb 2015

Pretty much, yup.

• Information