Omg Way Beyond Fairlight...

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Jmax

22 Aug 2015

ivar wrote:hi
the provided download link did not work for me. but this is history. the refill is fine and i am happy to own it
regards
Dude, it's really easy to download the Bitley WBF on dropbox. I paid for it, then downloaded it minutes later. Just use your brain and stop batch. Is your dropbox account full? then set up another with another email, really a child can do it.
Bitley can do whatever he wants as a sound developer. Like he said, he's not Microsoft or Apple, or some giant corporation. He's a guy that's worked day and night to put a fantastic soundbank together. Your lucky to have these great sounds from this guy and well worth the price compared to the hours he's spent making them.
Be patient and I'm sure you'll figure out the dropbox thing (you might need it for other things one day). It really is one of the most standard delivery and sharing methods these days.
Last edited by Jmax on 22 Aug 2015, edited 2 times in total.

bitley

22 Aug 2015

Weekend betatesting of functions now removed.

Thank you for participating.

Good input, work continues.
Last edited by bitley on 23 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Gardinski

22 Aug 2015

For the record, I haven't bought WBF yet (although the offer Bitley has just posted may well sway me!), but I'd like to say I've never had ANY problems with Dropbox. They provide a superb service which operates very smoothly in my experience, and I've never heard of any malware issues.

Gardinski

22 Aug 2015

OK, well I've just ordered WBF and clicked the 'Download' button, and what do you know? The download started first time without a hitch.

It's a pretty big file (1.7Gb) and I'm not on the fastest of connections, so it's estimating 56 mins. I shall let you all know if there are any problems, but I'm pretty confident there won't be.

JNeffLind

22 Aug 2015

Jmax wrote:
the provided download link did not work for me. but this is history. the refill is fine and i am happy to own it
regards
Dude, it's really easy to download the Bitley WBF on dropbox. I paid for it, then downloaded it minutes later. Just use your brain and stop batch. Is your dropbox account full? then set up another with another email, really a child can do it.
Bitley can do whatever he wants as a sound developer. Like he said, he's not Microsoft or Apple, or some giant corporation. He's a guy that's worked day and night to put a fantastic soundbank together. Your lucky to have these great sounds from this guy and well worth the price compared to the hours he's spent making them.
Be patient and I'm sure you'll figure out the dropbox thing (you might need it for other things one day). It really is one of the most standard delivery and sharing methods these days.
Woah buddy. "Just use your brain and stop batch." Really? After he said that "This is history" and he's happy to own the refill. Maybe he was "batch" before but if he dials it back, why jump in with the insults. If the link didn't work then it's a problem Bitley would want to know about, since he's been spurred to improve some things as described in the new beta ordering offer. By the way, I'm super tempted by that offer. May buy. More sounds are great, and more great sounds are greater still.

Gardinski

22 Aug 2015

Just a quick note to confirm that the link worked perfectly for me, and the WBF download completed successfully with no problems whatsoever. I've just started playing around with the presets, and it truly is a thing of beauty!

Also, Patrick (Bitley) emailed me straight away with the link for the bonus Poly X3M (which has just this moment finished downloading). The current offer is a superb one, and if anyone is considering it I would strongly recommend that you seize the opportunity whilst you can.

ivar

22 Aug 2015

Jmax wrote:
regards
i am so glad that i found a person with a brain, because i dont have one, who can help me to discover the internet. you are my hero

JNeffLind

22 Aug 2015

Just ordered this with orderbeta code and got the download link without any trouble. I did have to click the link from paypal to redirect back to Bitley's site before the download page popped up. Not sure if that was supposed to be like that. For the sake of customer ease, it might be easier to cut out that step if possible. I.e. the customer clicks order and the window automatically pops up instead of requiring clicking the "return to Bitley Sounds and refills" link. Maybe it would have popped up if I'd waited but I waited about 30 seconds and nothing happened after I ordered. Just trying to make the process as smooth as possible for future customers so that Bitley can expand his customer base and keep making sounds I can use.

Edit: Maybe it would be best if the "Return to Bitley Sounds and Refills" hyperlink instead said "Download your refill here." Not sure if clicking on a hyperlink is necessary but if it is it should probably be more clear that it leads to the downloads, as opposed to just back to the page to browse more refills or whatever else. Hope this helps.

bitley

23 Aug 2015

Ok Jeff! That's important to hear, I will have to work harder so that it becomes smooth and crystal clear. Many thanks. Email coming!

bitley

03 Sep 2015

I've sometimes been asked why I've dedicated so much time around the Fairlight and Synclavier systems; this is one of my answers: Propaganda. Propaganda was a pop group involving Trevor Horn, Howard Jones and the record company ZTT. I've just asked Howard if he could possibly have any more info about it to share, but for the time being, I found an excellent interview with Propaganda, from 1990 when they released "1234", one of the most well made records in the history of electronic / pop music really. My fascination was not really the gear; it was the musicality and audio quality of what people did with it. :-) Those things are amazing, still to this day. Propaganda interview.

davidhyno

04 Sep 2015

ahhhhhh nostalgia for 80s.......

bitley

04 Sep 2015

Yes, I mean... take a group like Scritti Politti in 1985. Nobody has released anything touching that even now, 30 years later.

takim

24 Sep 2015

@bitley .hey wussup my name is abdul mustafa i just bought the wbf refill. an you tell me how long it takes to get the download link?? i recived an email from patrick askin for my name and address for verification and i sent it,but that was two hours ago......... pls help.
thanks

selig
RE Developer

24 Sep 2015

bitley™ wrote:I've sometimes been asked why I've dedicated so much time around the Fairlight and Synclavier systems; this is one of my answers: Propaganda. Propaganda was a pop group involving Trevor Horn, Howard Jones and the record company ZTT. I've just asked Howard if he could possibly have any more info about it to share, but for the time being, I found an excellent interview with Propaganda, from 1990 when they released "1234", one of the most well made records in the history of electronic / pop music really. My fascination was not really the gear; it was the musicality and audio quality of what people did with it. :-) Those things are amazing, still to this day. Propaganda interview.
Propaganda was a German band, right? I remember Steve Lipson being fairly heavily involved, at least in their first album. BTW, how was Howard Jones involved?

As a Fairlight guy at the time I remember being quite taken (and influenced) by this record (A Secret Wish) when it came out, though I have oddly totally forgotten about them over the years (unlike many other similar acts of the time like Art of Noise, Scritti Politti, Howard Jones, Thomas Dolby, Grace Jones, and even Human League).

Their stuff still holds up fairly well for me (though quite dated in many ways IMO), but I guess I just didn't find their music nearly as memorable as the other similar acts I mentioned. Shame, really - great stuff!
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

24 Sep 2015

bitley™ wrote:Yes, I mean... take a group like Scritti Politti in 1985. Nobody has released anything touching that even now, 30 years later.
Indeed - Perfect Way was on my "mix reference" CD for YEARS.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

bitley

25 Sep 2015

Hi Selig! I think Howard Jones co-wrote a song or two. "Heaven Give Me Words" should be one of them anyway if I remember correctly. Lovely tune.

selig
RE Developer

25 Sep 2015

bitley™ wrote:Hi Selig! I think Howard Jones co-wrote a song or two. "Heaven Give Me Words" should be one of them anyway if I remember correctly. Lovely tune.
I see - just checked and see that was on their later (1990) work, which I never followed. But thanks for the trip down memory lane, I had all but forgotten about that first amazing release - it got a lot of play around my house at that time!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

bitley

26 Sep 2015

cool. you must check out 1234, at least some things there are pretty timeless :)

eusti

26 Sep 2015

bitley™ wrote:cool. you must check out 1234, at least some things there are pretty timeless :)
It's a great sounding album. At times a bit on the cheesy side for my taste, but fabulous in any case!

Here's some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1234_%28P ... a_album%29

Here's the album in running order:
1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6) & 7)

8)

9)

D.

bitley

26 Sep 2015

An absolutely fantastic posting there Eusti, thank you very much for the effort! I will recommend listening very analytically to the intro of Your Wildlife (Track 3). After the piano chords, a more mellow part comes in, with two 4-note "sub melody lines". Placed underneath is THE best synthesizer patch I have ever heard. It is an Oberheim Matrix 12 pad with a very advanced LFO affecting the filter. It runs quantized to the tempo but in a very specific fashion. Two LFOs must have been used... And probably like 32 hours of finicky editing & real sound design... I have been amazed by that sound ever since I first discovered it. Been meaning to re-create it but I tend to give up before even trying hard ;-)

eusti

26 Sep 2015

Thank you! :)

Are you talking about the white noisy sound modulating and seemingly going down or away?
That is a fabulous sound! Always liked those modulated sounds... Had a patch in my Akai VX 600 that was different, but was happily modulating by itself as well... The middle part of Your Wildlife sounds very Art of Noise to me... Really like this album... Especially that is so different from their older stuff! Thank you for mentioning it and making me look it up again... I mean I have to CD, but haven't listened to it in a while! :)

D.

bitley

26 Sep 2015

Yeah there are many interesting sounds in that track, lots of Fairlight towards the end too. Stereo effects... many experiments to discover. :)

By the way, here is my remix of Scritti Politti and Small Talk

Lots of Fairlight refill spices ;)

lowpryo

27 Sep 2015

I finally just took the dive to upgrade my WBF to version R2, and man I'm falling in love all over again! I love the way the patches are now organized. that alone was probably worth the upgrade.

it's going to take me a looong time to get through all the new sounds, but that's exactly why WBF is easily the best deal as far as Refills go IMO. it's basically like buying a second Factory Soundbank - synths, samplers, drums, FX, only it colors everything with an entirely new flavor that's retro but modern feeling at the same time! I feel overwhelmed with new song ideas just taking a dive through the combinators folder. I can't recommend it enough!

also since it sounds like a hot topic, I've had NO issues with the Dropbox system, with both my original purchase and this upgrade. just saying!

selig
RE Developer

27 Sep 2015

bitley™ wrote:An absolutely fantastic posting there Eusti, thank you very much for the effort! I will recommend listening very analytically to the intro of Your Wildlife (Track 3). After the piano chords, a more mellow part comes in, with two 4-note "sub melody lines". Placed underneath is THE best synthesizer patch I have ever heard. It is an Oberheim Matrix 12 pad with a very advanced LFO affecting the filter. It runs quantized to the tempo but in a very specific fashion. Two LFOs must have been used... And probably like 32 hours of finicky editing & real sound design... I have been amazed by that sound ever since I first discovered it. Been meaning to re-create it but I tend to give up before even trying hard ;-)
Or, that sound is simply a filter sweep of noise, gated by a traditional audio gate keyed by a drum machine? I used to do stuff like that all the time way back then, mainly because that's all we had to work with! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

27 Sep 2015

I remember the first time I heard Propaganda. It was "Dr. Mabuse" from A Secret Wish, and I was blown away. Fairlight production was immediately evident, and as an old fan of early Art of Noise from the early 80's, I immediately took a liking to it. And Claudia Brücken Claudia Brücken Claudia Brücken Claudia Brücken Claudia Brücken Claudia Brücken OMFG Claudia Brücken...

The video was done by Anton Corbijn (who did most of Depeche Mode's much better years):

I never followed them after A Secret Wish, though. I hated their later 1980's/early 1990's stuff. It seemed downright archaic and past the times - at the time. I was already following acid house, house, techno, and more underground use of electronics by then.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information