Selig's B3 refill???

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
bpmorton

26 Jun 2015

one bar flashes a little on the Selig B3. I've never had a CPU problem with it either live or in a huge mix on an i5.

Theo.M

26 Jun 2015

JNeffLind wrote:I actually think it's the opposite since Selig used all stock devices. Can't be sure though. Theo?
pedrocaetanos wrote:
Sorry for not being clear: I meant JP's Refill edition, not the more recent Rack Extension. The refill edition uses only stock devices, and expect few than Selig B3.
the jiggery pokery organ pack? I haven't got it just yet but it's been included in a new props bundle so i will be buying that very soon.

I only have one of jp's organ RE's , the very first one.

Selig's B3 uses nothing here, i can use as many as i want.

I imagine the jiggery refills would be the same, they are using stock devices and his own samples (nnxt).

If i am misunderstanding do let me know

pedrocaetanos

26 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:the jiggery pokery organ pack? I haven't got it just yet but it's been included in a new props bundle so i will be buying that very soon.

I imagine the jiggery refills would be the same, they are using stock devices and his own samples (nnxt).

You are understanding correctly. :)

I own JP organs refill(s), and I'm interested in Selig B3.
I know Selig B3 is native devices only, and as such I don't expect it to be as CPU heavy as some REs can be. But as AFAIK it's an emulation made with Thors. That's at least 9 Thors. How many more? Is it just one Thor per drawbar? how many other devices? because, even being native, after a lot of them things start to get heavy ;)

These doubts are what were in mind when I asked. But for what you say, maybe it's not the case.
Anyway, regardless, sooner or later I will probably get Selig B3 (with the prome it would be sooner :) ) - it really has a good reputation - I find remarkable to see comments recommending it's Leslie implementation over Propellerheads Rotor.
Or, from what I read in this thread even JP has sometime recommended Selig's Leslie (and Matt has some nice rotating speaker emulations).

Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

bpmorton

26 Jun 2015

15 Thors
5 audio spiders
1 14x2 mixer
1 line mixer
1 scream
2 stereo imagers
9 mclass eq's
1 maximizer

Theo.M

26 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:the jiggery pokery organ pack? I haven't got it just yet but it's been included in a new props bundle so i will be buying that very soon.

pedrocaetanos wrote:
You are understanding correctly. :)

I own JP organs refill(s), and I'm interested in Selig B3.
I know Selig B3 is native devices only, and as such I don't expect it to be as CPU heavy as some REs can be. But as AFAIK it's an emulation made with Thors. That's at least 9 Thors. How many more? Is it just one Thor per drawbar? how many other devices? because, even being native, after a lot of them things start to get heavy ;)

These doubts are what were in mind when I asked. But for what you say, maybe it's not the case.
Anyway, regardless, sooner or later I will probably get Selig B3 (with the prome it would be sooner :) ) - it really has a good reputation - I find remarkable to see comments recommending it's Leslie implementation over Propellerheads Rotor.
Or, from what I read in this thread even JP has sometime recommended Selig's Leslie (and Matt has some nice rotating speaker emulations).

I never counted how many Thors, i only ever really used the presets and the "drawbars" (the line mixer).. edit i see someone just answered that, cool.

I have never noticed even with a few organ sounds going any significant rise in dsp usage. May I ask your computer specs? I mean if it works great on mine which is old, you'd have to have something really old to even worry about having an issue.

pedrocaetanos

26 Jun 2015

Thanks BP :)

Overall not that much, specially if not many modules are active in each Thor
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

pedrocaetanos

26 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:I have never noticed even with a few organ sounds going any significant rise in dsp usage. May I ask your computer specs? I mean if it works great on mine which is old, you'd have to have something really old to even worry about having an issue.
LOL, my desktop is having some serious problem (no boot at all) and I'm on "backup", an old laptop a Dual Pentium T2330 @ 1.6 GHz with 2GB RAM - this is a nightmare of slowness.

The desktop is an Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz with 8 GB RAM - it's old, but decent enough - it was super spec'd when it was new. But a few heavy REs can bring it down. I have to find some time to troubleshoot what's going on... if savable.

The main thing is that I like the freedom to use a lot of tracks, often just to add a different sound just for while (You know that 80's Tangerine Dream or Mike Oldfield style where there's always some new instrument coming in), but even when not playing they burn a bit of CPU, and everything added in the end...

And then, if you remember I'm the guy who came up with the RhEstone RE benchmark (a project that has been stalled due to lack of volunteers) - I ended up getting obsessed with the performance of things :)

An attitude with some advantages, I can fallback to computers like this one. In this laptop I can launch something like between 50 to 150 Thors, depending on which (how many) modules are being used. If Selig B3 Thors use a lot of modules, just one combi can burn a 3rd of my computing power.

Regardless, generally I don't think there's going to be a problem with Selig B3, just that there could have been a lot more devices inside, and I wanted to have an idea if I could launch several at the same time... and I can't see me using that many different B3 sounds in a music, anyway  :)

• Information