Combinator patches inside a ReFill - was does it mean to you?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Soundcells

18 Jan 2015

Hi to all,

That´s the question:
Do you purchase ReFills because of the included combinator patches? Or do you prefer ReFills more based on device patches (plus only a few combinators as an add on), so that you can start with a more or less ‘raw‘ patch to do you own processing with.

The reason to ask is quite simple:
There is a new ReFill coming, and the device patches are nearly done. This means that the product could be released within the next two weeks or so. On the other side, doing all the stuff that´s needed for designing e.g. 100 combinator patches, of course would mean that it takes longer to release the product.

Or do you think of two differently priced versions - one with and one without combinator patches …

Since this new forum, it really feels like a fresh start without old ballast … and yeah - why not asking the communtity :)

Best regards,
Harald | Soundcells 

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

If it's a good enough ReFill without the combinators, release it. Then by the time you develop the combi's, initial interest will have dropped, at which time you release the v.2 to generate more interest, and also offer the original buyers the upgrade for free.
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

18 Jan 2015

Harald I see you have a Polysix refill. Any pans to do a MonoPoly?
My Words are my ART

Soundcells

18 Jan 2015

"Then by the time you develop the combi's … and also offer the original buyers the upgrade for free" - this is what i´m thinking about (although it´s unusual for Soundcells …, and a release of a product with only device patches in version 1 could be interpreted as "unfinished, but released" …).

Regarding MonoPoly:

No plans on a ReFill for this synth, but of course possible. If there are enough requests … why not :0)

Emian

18 Jan 2015

good question ! :)

i personally like device patches most as i more & more try to create own combinators myself (& boy can i get lost in doin' that) , but i do check them out if they are in a ReFill tough :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Arsenic

18 Jan 2015

To be honest, I like both Combinators and device patches.

The device patches are great as it allows you to set your own effects etc - and allows you to warp it any way you see fit.

On the other hand, I like to see what the designer can come up with. I have all of the Soundcells refills and Harald has crafted some brilliant combinaors in them. To me, it would be a shame to leave them out. Let's face it - not everybody is a genius with routing etc, so by not including, or limiting the combinator count, it may put some people off buying.......

joeyluck

18 Jan 2015

When I'm shopping for ReFills, I'm typically looking for device patches. Making combinators is something I like to do myself out of personal taste and cohesiveness. To me, combinators are nice as a bonus.

tt_lab

18 Jan 2015

For me all are device patches and drumloops or oneshots...
Combis I don't use as much but somtimes I do.

pushedbutton

18 Jan 2015

I guess it depends what you're making.
Some might consider combinators to be a way of demoing the real meat of the refill whereas sometimes the devices you build just don't convey the message without the right automation. Quick answer, it depends.
If I was looking for a rex refill I don't think I'd be put off because it wasn't in combinators but on the other hand I do like de-constructing them if they do something clever to enhance the sound source.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

darkmode

18 Jan 2015

I do like combi patches. I learn a lot from the experts such as yourself re routing etc.

Love your refills mate!

eusti

18 Jan 2015

Sorry for the off topic remark: Some nice tunes there, Darkmode!

Regarding the topic: I usually tend to care more about the device sounds than the combinators...
But that is very dependent what the combinators do... Are they just a tacked on multi-FX box or do they offer some exciting new way to either interact or modify the device?

D.

MirrorEyEs

18 Jan 2015

Both BTW your Combis are really good quality  :thumbup:
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

normen

18 Jan 2015

I do like combis in ReFills because it shows me what the creators themselves would do with their stuffs, might be things I didn't even think about. And when I set up some instruments to play for some musician they simply allow me do be quicker, I can always go back and change the FX setup later when I mix and already have the performance recorded. Time saving is a big plus in the real world (this job would be so much nicer if one actually had TIME for anything ;) )

Soundcells

18 Jan 2015

So - it seems that it should be what it was until now: The combinator patches for me always were / are the heart of a ReFill, BUT in each ReFill you will find the folder ‘Modules‘ wherein all device patches are stored (of course in different folders for different devices :) ).

Thanks to all for stating their thoughts - helps a lot to keep the right direction.

FrankJaeger

18 Jan 2015

The combi serves to main purposes for me which are tidiness, and learning. When I use devices, I almost always chuck it straight into a combinator so that if it ends up with a ton of effects they're all neatly tucked in one place. We all know how messy and crowded the rack can become. The learning part comes from liking a particular sound in a refill and wanting to see exactly how it was made. By bypassing all of the effects and reactivating them one at a time, I can see how each device and its settings shape the sound. It really helps when I start trying to do my thing.

If your sounds are great without a combinator there's no need to add one just because. If it's just an NNXT then leave it as that. If I get my hands on it, It'll probably be combitized anyway.  :D
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

darkmode

18 Jan 2015

eusti wrote:Sorry for the off topic remark: Some nice tunes there, Darkmode!

Regarding the topic: I usually tend to care more about the device sounds than the combinators...
But that is very dependent what the combinators do... Are they just a tacked on multi-FX box or do they offer some exciting new way to either interact or modify the device?

D.
Thanks mate!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2015

For me the combo is the most important device in Reason, and that's where we see most sound designers qualiy and versatility.

I like the format of nucleus sound lab, where they always put the combinator in an instruent folder and the device patches that contributeted in a raw folder.

Arrant
Competition Winner

19 Jan 2015

Combis are important to me. Sure building them can be fun but it also takes a lot of time which I can't really justify if I'm in the middle of working on a track.

hydlide

19 Jan 2015

Soundcells wrote:Hi to all,

That´s the question:
Do you purchase ReFills because of the included combinator patches? Or do you prefer ReFills more based on device patches (plus only a few combinators as an add on), so that you can start with a more or less ‘raw‘ patch to do you own processing with.
I will follow with Arsenic saying
"The device patches are great as it allows you to set your own effects etc - and allows you to warp it any way you see fit."

I will add this: combinators can be create for set ups as you have meant the sounds to be like. Or they can be handy just to show case "what else can be done" with your patches.

This is why I often browser combis that come with rack extensions for instance.

JNeffLind

20 Jan 2015

Arrant wrote:Combis are important to me. Sure building them can be fun but it also takes a lot of time which I can't really justify if I'm in the middle of working on a track.
This is how I feel. I love presets since I usually don't have much luck making my own sounds. I'd rather the refill creator set the sounds up just right and just let me make music with them. I know that's anathema to a lot of reason users, but for me great presets means more time making music, as opposed to time spent making sounds. 

PGR

21 Jan 2015

I prefer that you include combinator patches. This is what makes your Refills among the best and unique. In my opinion, your combinators makes Soundcells Refills comparable to Spectrasonics Omnisphere.

Perhaps not possible, but I would love to see other Sonic Flavours Refills updated to Soundcells standard

Soundcells

21 Jan 2015

First - it will stay like it was in the past  :)

"… Perhaps not possible, but I would love to see other Sonic Flavours Refills updated to Soundcells standard …" - I think this will not happen …

Thanks again for all the answers!

craven

21 Jan 2015

Soundcells wrote:First - it will stay like it was in the past  :)
I love those combis, always great to see how things can be done and one can always edit combis as well.
:ugeek:

alex

21 Jan 2015

PGR wrote:I prefer that you include combinator patches. This is what makes your Refills among the best and unique. In my opinion, your combinators makes Soundcells Refills comparable to Spectrasonics Omnisphere.
This! I couldn't explain it any better.

Cheers,
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

sharpblue

28 Jan 2015

cant beat a well made combinator patch, please continue  to include in future refills ;)

• Information