Free X-wah combinator from John, Giles, and Noel

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
jfrichards

15 Jan 2015

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rqujm8qtnndl ... h.cmb?dl=0

This is a fun little dude.  Four parallel wahs with fuzz.

Attachments
X-wah_blu.png
X-wah_blu.png (55.55 KiB) Viewed 3648 times

selig
RE Developer

15 Jan 2015

Great work dude, had fun working on it with you!
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

tt_lab

15 Jan 2015

Thank you guys! keep th good work

Eagleizer

15 Jan 2015

Thanks a lot! 

Cheers :)

Rice

15 Jan 2015

Haven't downloaded this one yet, but will be testing it out soon. I do have the one Giles did and like it a-bunch, so I'm sure this one will NOT disappoint!

Reasonistas
RE Developer

16 Jan 2015

This is excellent!  Thank you John and Giles.
ImageImageImage

jfrichards

16 Jan 2015

This is a user manual sort of:

Here are the setting possibilities with the X-wah of the 4 wahs:
+ooo
o+oo
oo+o
ooo+
++oo
o++o
oo++
+o+o
o+o+
+oo+
+++o
o+++
++o+
+o++
++++
That's 15 button combinations.  If you turn off all the buttons, the combinator blocks the audio signal, like hitting off, not bypass.  I'm hoping to fix that one day.
Each setting makes a unique waveform with one, two or three peaks (like a camel) that sweeps up and down the spectrum.  Plus you can adjust the intensity (more wah or less wah), which adjusts the resonance of the filters, so that gives roughly three variations on the 15 settings, taking the device up to around 45 possible wah pedals.  This is cool for adjusting to what you want or need for a specific guitar, bass, or synth.
On top of these 45 wah pedals, you can add fuzz, either before or after the wah and at a 1-10 intensity level.  More or less 45x2x4 = 360 unique sounds using only 9 knobs.  For those with a death wish, you can adjust the fuzz by going into the Scream4.  Here is the EQ curve for adding the Bass and Hi wah (+oo+) together:
Attachments
x-wah_bass_+_hi.jpeg
x-wah_bass_+_hi.jpeg (81.75 KiB) Viewed 3532 times

challism

17 Jan 2015

Thanks for sharing!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jfrichards

01 Apr 2015

Here's a piece using the X-Wah with a Creme amp and a Les Paul.  The wah is in the "wrong" position in the chain, coming directly after the Creme, which means it is filtering the whole tone coming out of the amp, not just what comes out of the guitar.  The effect is dramatic, producing very cool midrange, tube-like sounds as you sweep through the pedal.

http://phead.mu/s/3Nwrbf9w

I never dreamt I could get these tones inside Reason.  Thor wobbler is going through Cerberus.  Rex drums through MP5.

Nice, the Kuassas came on sale right after I finished the piece:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/browse/? ... per=Kuassa

Ayello

01 Apr 2015

thank you !

EddieG

02 Apr 2015

FAT
Thanks for sharing that John and Giles !
stratcatfl in the house !

jfrichards

23 May 2016

Bump, for the crude manual.

Catblack

04 Aug 2016

Just tried this with the 'epic dulcimer' combi in teh r9 bank. Holy shiiiiii!
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

Aardwolf

08 Aug 2016

Thanks very much for this John, Giles and Noel, I was trying to find ways to create a good wah effect since the demise of the Line 6 guitar amp from Reason, I was using a Thor filter, but now I realise I had totally overlooked the envelope follower, been having great fun putting a clavinet through this!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Jun 2018

I know this is an old thread but I just downloaded the combinator and was wondering if anyone can help me. I figured I could probably use my damper pedal as a control for the wah knob...and I can...but I need to lower the sensitivity so that the knob doesn't swing the whole way round with only small touches on the pedal. Anybody able to tell me how? Thanks in advance :)
C
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

A little bump in this just in case. Promise I won’t do it again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Italophile

21 Jun 2018

MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2018
I figured I could probably use my damper pedal as a control for the wah knob...and I can...but I need to lower the sensitivity so that the knob doesn't swing the whole way round with only small touches on the pedal.
AFAIK a damper pedal is only either on or off and has no intermediate values. What you need is a pedal that transmits the full range of values, e.g. a MIDI expression pedal.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jun 2018

Italophile wrote:
21 Jun 2018
MrFigg wrote:
18 Jun 2018
I figured I could probably use my damper pedal as a control for the wah knob...and I can...but I need to lower the sensitivity so that the knob doesn't swing the whole way round with only small touches on the pedal.
AFAIK a damper pedal is only either on or off and has no intermediate values. What you need is a pedal that transmits the full range of values, e.g. a MIDI expression pedal.
I thought that too...but it seems like that if I only press the damper pedal very gently the knob turns slower. That said I should probably be less stingy and just go buy an expression pedal :). Thanks for answering though. Appreciated :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information