The IR thread

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
User avatar
bmarsh
Posts: 24
Joined: 13 May 2015

Post 11 Jan 2017

I still find myself using the Rosen IR cabs almost exclusively in Reason. I have no phase issues. For clean guitar i use the AC30 cab, Decay full-on, HF Damp all the way down (tweak to taste if needed), and HI EQ @ around 2 o' clock. I also enable EQ on the RV7000 MKII, HP to taste and maybe look for some sweet spots to boost slightly if i'm playing a different guitar than usual. For heavier rock stuff i usually use the Rosen 1960 Marshall impulses @ about the same settings, maybe backing off the HI EQ to halfway and adjusting RV EQ for added "girth".
"The end is built into the beginning" - Charlie Kaufman

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 954
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 20 Jan 2017

Got a reverb related question, if anyone has native instruments massive would it be possible to somehow record the response from massive's dimension expander? I mean from what little I know about it, the dimension expander is apparently a short reverb that is used to make stuff have a stereo effect. Would that be possible and has anyone done so?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

dr bonkers
Posts: 2
Joined: 26 Mar 2017

Post 26 Mar 2017

Hi,

If you are looking for guitar cab and bass cab impulse response (IR) files, you might want to check out my site. I am always adding new guitar cabinet or bass cabinet ir's usually on a weekly or monthly basis in both Fractal Audio & Wav file formats.

Currently I have the following for sale:
  • Ampeg B-15
    Aguillar DB810
    SVT 8X10
    SWR Super Redhead
    Norlin Gibson Moog Lab Series L5
    1959 Valco Supro 1606 branded as Oahu Publishing Co of Cleveland Ohio 1X6
Sound samples may be found in the Samples tab of my site, which is Google translate compatable.

If you have any quesions tht the site does not answer, please feel free to contact me.

https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/shop/

Best,
Dr. B

Bunja

Post 14 May 2017

Are there good real world ones in the reason libary or better ones in the lists?

User avatar
NaviRetlav
Posts: 350
Joined: 26 Jan 2015

Post 03 Jul 2017

We just released the Impulse Exploration 4 and the Impulse Boost Bundle 2.
And for those that want just the free stuff we updated the Impulse Demo Bundle with the new IRs

More at: www.naviretlav.com

Ostermilk
Posts: 1447
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 03 Jul 2017

I sometimes wonder about cab IR's that if I was small enough to live in a 4x12 dimensioned plywood box whether I'd actually prefer the internal acoustic properties of one vs another.

I mean it's not like they are made of tone-woods or anything special and they are almost small enough spaces for the resultant IR's to be pretty much just filters with really short-tails, therefore easy enough to emulate by fairly simple means.

Perhaps I'd need to be a proper guitar player to appreciate the subtle differences in tone over a straightforward bit of EQ'ing with a splash of tight small-space verb though.

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2187
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 04 Jul 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
03 Jul 2017
I sometimes wonder about cab IR's that if I was small enough to live in a 4x12 dimensioned plywood box whether I'd actually prefer the internal acoustic properties of one vs another.

I mean it's not like they are made of tone-woods or anything special and they are almost small enough spaces for the resultant IR's to be pretty much just filters with really short-tails, therefore easy enough to emulate by fairly simple means.

Perhaps I'd need to be a proper guitar player to appreciate the subtle differences in tone over a straightforward bit of EQ'ing with a splash of tight small-space verb though.
Because they are short, would this make them easy to emulate? I don't understand if short or longer IR can be compared for complexity.

A cabinet with speaker does all sorts of things to dynamics, EQ and resonance. Resonance is a huge thing in guitar cabs. And the super fast transients are complex. With just an EQ and compressor that would not be possible to emulate.

Good example is the Palmer Speaker simulator which is a filter, nothing else. It can sound great, mostly on cleaner sounds. But it won't give you the low end resonance of a speaker cab or IR.
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

Ostermilk
Posts: 1447
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Jul 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Jul 2017
Ostermilk wrote:
03 Jul 2017
I sometimes wonder about cab IR's that if I was small enough to live in a 4x12 dimensioned plywood box whether I'd actually prefer the internal acoustic properties of one vs another.

I mean it's not like they are made of tone-woods or anything special and they are almost small enough spaces for the resultant IR's to be pretty much just filters with really short-tails, therefore easy enough to emulate by fairly simple means.

Perhaps I'd need to be a proper guitar player to appreciate the subtle differences in tone over a straightforward bit of EQ'ing with a splash of tight small-space verb though.
Because they are short, would this make them easy to emulate? I don't understand if short or longer IR can be compared for complexity.

A cabinet with speaker does all sorts of things to dynamics, EQ and resonance. Resonance is a huge thing in guitar cabs. And the super fast transients are complex. With just an EQ and compressor that would not be possible to emulate.

Good example is the Palmer Speaker simulator which is a filter, nothing else. It can sound great, mostly on cleaner sounds. But it won't give you the low end resonance of a speaker cab or IR.
Yes, I'm aware that many enclosures are not merely plywood boxes (even though many are) some are ported, baffled and have reflex openings to cater for the high sound pressure levels and somewhat altering the dynamics that are happening in a short space of time.

What I'm questioning though is a static IR can be the best thing to accurately reproduce everything that's going on. Bear in mind that a static IR will not reproduce ANY of the time invariant qualities of a particular cabinet, which you rightly suggest involves EQ and resonance, but only EQ and resonance, which is why I mentioned EQ and a small space reverb (I didn't mention using a compressor btw) to emulate an IR (not an actual cab).

I'm not familiar with the Palmer Speaker simulator, is intended to simulate the speaker, cab or both?

Heater
Posts: 274
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 05 Jul 2017

miscend wrote:
15 Sep 2016
Does anyone have a Strymon reverb and is willing to capture some impulses for the community?
I found some here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfg48iuk98b1bvy/STRYMON BIG SKY IMPULSE RESPONSES.zip?dl=0

from this thread

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1220 ... dal-around

[EDIT] I had to remove some silence from the beginning of the files.

User avatar
Marco Raaphorst
Posts: 2187
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 05 Jul 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
04 Jul 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
04 Jul 2017


Because they are short, would this make them easy to emulate? I don't understand if short or longer IR can be compared for complexity.

A cabinet with speaker does all sorts of things to dynamics, EQ and resonance. Resonance is a huge thing in guitar cabs. And the super fast transients are complex. With just an EQ and compressor that would not be possible to emulate.

Good example is the Palmer Speaker simulator which is a filter, nothing else. It can sound great, mostly on cleaner sounds. But it won't give you the low end resonance of a speaker cab or IR.
Yes, I'm aware that many enclosures are not merely plywood boxes (even though many are) some are ported, baffled and have reflex openings to cater for the high sound pressure levels and somewhat altering the dynamics that are happening in a short space of time.

What I'm questioning though is a static IR can be the best thing to accurately reproduce everything that's going on. Bear in mind that a static IR will not reproduce ANY of the time invariant qualities of a particular cabinet, which you rightly suggest involves EQ and resonance, but only EQ and resonance, which is why I mentioned EQ and a small space reverb (I didn't mention using a compressor btw) to emulate an IR (not an actual cab).

I'm not familiar with the Palmer Speaker simulator, is intended to simulate the speaker, cab or both?
The Palmers Speaker simulator changes the speaker output of a guitar amp into a line level signal, both filtered and unfiltered. It's a passive device, at least the one I own, the PDI03.

IRs for speakercabinets are 100% accurate. See https://www.celestionplus.com for some tests. When I am using my tube amps with IR I get the best guitar sound I ever got. It sounds better than any of the old records. Play some old Van Halen and hear how thin the guitar is sounding. Even the remastered version. Today we can get a much better guitar tone I must say.
Marco Raaphorst

Music & soundware https://melodiefabriek.com.
Check out my new ReFill Rockmen: https://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen ... available/

Ostermilk
Posts: 1447
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 05 Jul 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
05 Jul 2017


The Palmers Speaker simulator changes the speaker output of a guitar amp into a line level signal, both filtered and unfiltered. It's a passive device, at least the one I own, the PDI03.

IRs for speakercabinets are 100% accurate. See https://www.celestionplus.com for some tests. When I am using my tube amps with IR I get the best guitar sound I ever got. It sounds better than any of the old records. Play some old Van Halen and hear how thin the guitar is sounding. Even the remastered version. Today we can get a much better guitar tone I must say.
That makes sense, IR's from the whole post-amplifier stage, including the cab, speakers AND the influence of the mic's (position and setup). I can certainly get that as being an accurate and worthwhile proposition to arrive at via an IR. That's a refreshing point about the improvements in guitar tone today too, as I so often hear people going on about how fantastic the 'old' sounds were.

dr bonkers
Posts: 2
Joined: 26 Mar 2017

Post 21 Jul 2017

dr bonkers wrote:
26 Mar 2017
Hi,

If you are looking for guitar cab and bass cab impulse response (IR) files, you might want to check out my site. I am always adding new guitar cabinet or bass cabinet ir's usually on a weekly or monthly basis in both Fractal Audio & Wav file formats.

Currently I have the following for sale:
  • Ampeg B-15
    Aguillar DB810
    SVT 8X10
    SWR Super Redhead
    Norlin Gibson Moog Lab Series L5
    1959 Valco Supro 1606 branded as Oahu Publishing Co of Cleveland Ohio 1X6
Sound samples may be found in the Samples tab of my site, which is Google translate compatable.

If you have any quesions tht the site does not answer, please feel free to contact me.

https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/shop/

Best,
Dr. B
Positive reviews of my new offerings may be found in this thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... /24457989/

BertieRichards
Posts: 1
Joined: 14 Nov 2017

Post 14 Nov 2017

I am not familiar with this convolution world, thanks so much for the contribution! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with others!
http://resume-writer.net/ is an excellent source to be considered

33db
Posts: 71
Joined: 26 Nov 2017

Post 02 Dec 2017

Just for fun I started throwing any wav file into the RV7000, people talking, various sound effects, just cut them down to size in an editor and have fun.

quikaj
Posts: 3
Joined: 10 Nov 2018

Post 15 Nov 2018

IRs are a topic I love, but others might be sick of it. I'm still a Helix newbie at about 2 months owning one and I didn't know what an IR was until buying the Helix. I'll check out the first two you you listed since I already have the others. I'm in the group that definitely thinks using IRs gives a better sound than the stock Helix cabs(IRs), although I have a couple presets I made with Helix cabs to get a specific sound (a bit darker).

PlexKodiLucky Patcher

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests