Boutique FX Vol.1 by Chaos FX

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
chaosroyale

29 Dec 2020

EDIT: check out the great customer feedback later in this thread! I am so happy that people like these effects and find them useful.

I finished my set of 10 boutique FX combinators. I attached the effect list from the "manual" as jpegs below. Juicy-sounding effects with tons of character, that you can really use! Anyone doing abstract hip-hop, indie rock, avant-pop, vaporwave, lo-fi, progressive dance music, ambient, industrial, math rock, anything that has a bit of "mojo" - you gotta try these.

You can get on my FX page for 15 USD (use the paypal link)
https://chaosmusick.com/chaosfx/

After purchasing, you will receive a ZIP file with a PDF of the manual, and 2 folders of .cmb files. (Insert FX combinators, and Send FX combinators).
(Due to time-zone differences there may be a few hours delay, but you will receive a reply within 1 day.)

If you liked my previous Auto-triple-track, there is an updated version in the pack, but that's just the beginning: there is so much more fun to be had.

"Why isn't it free?" - I truly believe these effects will save you a ton of time, inspire you, and become go-to effects for your productions. I have used the prototypes on commercial releases for clients. They are "only" combinators, it's true, but the fine-tuning and experience I bring means they will do a lot for a little. It's just a buck and a half per effect - and these are not novelties, you will actually use them again and again.
bfx vol1 manual2.jpg
bfx vol1 manual2.jpg (284.57 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
bfx vol1 manual3.jpg
bfx vol1 manual3.jpg (275.72 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
Last edited by chaosroyale on 15 Jan 2021, edited 2 times in total.

Ottostrom

02 Jan 2021

This is probably one of my favorite refills I've bought in recent years!
These combis feel more like a bunch of REs and I think they're a great deal at this price :)

I was the most sceptical about the reverbs and delays since there are so many great devices out there already with individual control over every parameter. But the great thing about these ones are how characterful they are and how much flexibility you get with so few controls. Definitely reminds me more of guitar pedals which I think is super nice. The Unicorn Shimmer and Unicorn Delay send fx versions are now part of my default Reason template.

Other favorites are the Opressor and the Big Boss amp. Big Boss is super useful to round out a sound if you use it on lower settings, while cranked up it can add some really nice overdrive. At first I wasn't sure on what kind of sources the Opressor should be used but while trying out the pack I found myself throwing it on more and more stuff cause I really liked how much presence and power it could bring.

Heres a very quick comparison I made the first night I got the pack. You can definitely get even better results but I like this sound a lot. I'm using a Big Boss, then a Juno-Watt on single chorus, Unicorn delay and a Deep Space with Unicorn Shimmer as a Send Fx :)

Can't wait to put them to use in my more serious productions once I get back to my main setup!

teddymcw

02 Jan 2021

Wow hey, I haven’t even DL’d first triple but I will instabuy bc of dedication, knowledge articulation and passing on of your craft. Though I’m sure they’re amazing and more than useful useful to boot! :)
Cheers, can’t wait to try later.

rgdaniel

02 Jan 2021

Lovin' the Drum Cave...

Ottostrom

04 Jan 2021

Here's a pretty good example of what presence the Opressor can give:

I recorded an old nylon string guitar directly into my macbook airs internal microphone so I didn't have the best source to begin with, but luckily with the help of Big Boss, the Opressor and some Unicorn Shimmer I was able to turn it into something decent :) (only the Opressor is switched off/on during this comparison tho)

chaosroyale

06 Jan 2021

Glad to hear it! That thing is such a time-saver. 90% of people's problems with reverbs come from trying to balance tons of settings against each other. Drum Cave gets the balance right with some clever macro controls (inspired partly by Fabfilter Pro-R) so you can just twist a couple of knobs and you're done. It's a real "workhorse".
rgdaniel wrote:
02 Jan 2021
Lovin' the Drum Cave...

chaosroyale

06 Jan 2021

Opressor can be addictive: it's heavy handed but sometimes it gives you a sound you can't get any other way.

Hint: while playing the full mix - adjust the filter control and the tilt EQ. Both these controls (especially filter) seem really brutal when playing the sound alone, but in a mix you'll be surprised how easy they make it to shape a tone when used together. Oh, and of course you can automate the filter sweep for big-beat industrial madness if that's your thing.

Also really glad to see the Unicorns have made it into your regular template. Those and the Big Boss can be a magic "sound good" sauce for clients who want a part to sound "more...umm....more...better..." - OK, slap on a gentle Big Boss, add a touch of Unicorn Delay and Shimmer...how about now? - "Yeah, like that!"
Ottostrom wrote:
04 Jan 2021
Here's a pretty good example of what presence the Opressor can give:

I recorded an old nylon string guitar directly into my macbook airs internal microphone so I didn't have the best source to begin with, but luckily with the help of Big Boss, the Opressor and some Unicorn Shimmer I was able to turn it into something decent :) (only the Opressor is switched off/on during this comparison tho)

Ottostrom

07 Jan 2021

Hey guys I'm back with another comparison lol.

Just to clarify, I'm not involved with this fx pack and I'm only doing these because I want there to be enough support for a Vol. 2 :)

So this time I decided to show what a difference these combis are doing to a fuller arrangement. On the first playthrough I have all combis I've used from this pack switched OFF and on the second playthrough they're ON. I'm going for a pretty boxy vibe which might not be for everyone, but thats not all these combis can do.

The drums are going into a Big Boss and then into the Drum Cave and I absolutely love that combo!

Side note: I've upgraded from recording the guitar with my laptop mic to recording it with my phone ;)

Adam W

09 Jan 2021

These are all really, really impressive. The shimmer reverb alone is worth 10 bucks. I only had a chance to take each of the combis for a quick spin, but there was an instant "Oh wow" factor for each one. Really invigorates my appreciation for Reason's stock effects. Thanks so much for making these available!

chaosroyale

10 Jan 2021

I'm really pleased to hear so much positive feedback - would everyone be ok if I use some quotes from these comments on the homepage, etc??
Something like this format:
"The Unicorn Shimmer and Unicorn Delay send fx versions are now part of my default Reason template." - Ottostrom, Reasontalk forum.

Ottostrom

10 Jan 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
10 Jan 2021
I'm really pleased to hear so much positive feedback - would everyone be ok if I use some quotes from these comments on the homepage, etc??
Something like this format:
"The Unicorn Shimmer and Unicorn Delay send fx versions are now part of my default Reason template." - Ottostrom, Reasontalk forum.
Absolutely! :thumbs_up:

Adam W

18 Jan 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
10 Jan 2021
Yeah, I'd be perfectly fine with this.

chaosroyale

22 Jan 2021

Boutique FX Vol.2 is 99% finished! I am making the manual and doing a little bit of final testing. I think the quality of Vol.2 is just as high if not higher.

However, looking at the fees paypal is charging me; I am going to raise the price of both Vol.1 and Vol. 2, to 15 dollars each. I think even this price is a steal. If you don't believe me - check out the comments above ;)

Anyone who wants to get Volume 1 at the (even) cheaper price of 10 bucks, I will not raise the price yet - not until Vol.2 is officially released. So you still have a week or so. Get it while its hot (link at the top of the thread).

Loque

22 Jan 2021

Just wait for the taxes :-D
Reason12, Win10

moneykube

22 Jan 2021

ok... sold me before price goes up... with exchange 13.27 cad ... now eagerly awaiting the link :puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Gosh

23 Jan 2021

Come on...tease us with a few words about Vol. 2 ;)
Did I say that I'm already in?

EnochLight

23 Jan 2021

Ottostrom wrote:
04 Jan 2021
I recorded an old nylon string guitar directly into my macbook airs internal microphone so I didn't have the best source to begin with
Ottostrom wrote:
07 Jan 2021
Side note: I've upgraded from recording the guitar with my laptop mic to recording it with my phone ;)
I just wanted to point out that I actually prefer these low-fi recording techniques over a DI box or proper interface. It lends itself extremely well to the music bed you're putting them over anyway. ;) :thumbs_up: But I'm a massive fan of that low-fi sound (vapourwave, chillwave, trip hop, etc), so admittedly I'm biased.

@chaosroyale - nice job on the Refill! This is the first time I've been tempted to pick a Refill up in a very, very long time. :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

chaosroyale

23 Jan 2021

I don't want to jump the gun, but if you liked "Drum Cave" on your Drums/Percussion, you're gonna love "Deep Sea Cavern" on synths, strings, and pianos.

Likewise, anyone who enjoys the madness of the "Dual Hyper Metal" but wanted something more "alternative" is going to get a real kick out of "Psycho Fuzz" and "Grunt".

And my personal favorites include the "Magical Dub Cascade" and the ridiculous-sounding but surprisingly versatile "Unicorn Sparkle".
Gosh wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Come on...tease us with a few words about Vol. 2 ;)
Did I say that I'm already in?

LmstPv

23 Jan 2021

Would these work on reason intro or do i need the full version?

chaosroyale

23 Jan 2021

Unfortunately, you'll need the full version.

fwiw; some of the combinators will work on Reason 6 or 7, but some require devices from Reason 9, so I basically do not recommend the pack for anything less than Full Reason 9+
LmstPv wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Would these work on reason intro or do i need the full version?

moneykube

23 Jan 2021

just shy of 24 hours since purchase and no link yet???

chaosroyale

23 Jan 2021

Hi, thanks for getting in touch. If your email is the one I think it is, I replied 15 hours ago. I email ZIP files directly, so please check your spam folder, it may have been caught there. Let me know if you received it ok. I can always re-send if not.
moneykube wrote:
23 Jan 2021

moneykube

23 Jan 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
23 Jan 2021
Hi, thanks for getting in touch. If your email is the one I think it is, I replied 15 hours ago. I email ZIP files directly, so please check your spam folder, it may have been caught there. Let me know if you received it ok. I can always re-send if not.
moneykube wrote:
23 Jan 2021
YES... woohoo... sorry... went to spam :exclamation:

Ottostrom

24 Jan 2021

chaosroyale wrote:
22 Jan 2021
Boutique FX Vol.2 is 99% finished! I am making the manual and doing a little bit of final testing. I think the quality of Vol.2 is just as high if not higher.
Hot damn, Vol.2 is happening and its almost finished! :D
I don't think it comes as a big surprise when I say I'm absolutely getting it. Knowing how big of a cut paypal takes when doing business over it I fully understand the price change and I think its very justified.

Can't wait to try out your new effects!

Ottostrom

24 Jan 2021

EnochLight wrote:
23 Jan 2021
I just wanted to point out that I actually prefer these low-fi recording techniques over a DI box or proper interface. It lends itself extremely well to the music bed you're putting them over anyway. ;) :thumbs_up: But I'm a massive fan of that low-fi sound (vapourwave, chillwave, trip hop, etc), so admittedly I'm biased.
Thanks! :)
I also very much like the noisy and raw sound of these sort of recordings! But when I record guitar for an actual track I still like to use my Zoom H4n because most of the time I can retain the same feel but end up with a more usable frequency range (and a stereo track if thats needed).

• Information