ReFill Recommendations

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
Post Reply
User avatar
RoryM0
Posts: 17
Joined: 21 Jun 2017

08 Nov 2017

Hello,

I've never bought a ReFill as am relatively new to Reason. I'd be interested in any recommendations from the Prop Shop (or elsewhere), I guess I'm more interested in sample based ReFills that are emulations of specific hardware/instruments rather than 'construction kits' (Ultra-Deep-French-House-lo-fi-rave-tech-beats etc.) for example I like the look of Jiggery-Pokery's Kings of Kong, lots of drum machines at a reasonable price. But then also I see this https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... eus-1-2-3/ which is samples from some old rack mount synths and it's like 49 Euros which just seems incredibly expensive. Props ReFills like Soul School are more than the cost of updating to Reason 10! I realise a lot of sampling and studio work must go into something like that but that just seems crazy expensive to me.

Anyway, recommendations if you've got em! :)

Cheers!

User avatar
PurpleMonkeyDishes
Posts: 153
Joined: 25 Jul 2015
Location: Florida
Contact:

08 Nov 2017

RoryM0 wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Hello,

I've never bought a ReFill as am relatively new to Reason. I'd be interested in any recommendations from the Prop Shop (or elsewhere), I guess I'm more interested in sample based ReFills that are emulations of specific hardware/instruments rather than 'construction kits' (Ultra-Deep-French-House-lo-fi-rave-tech-beats etc.) for example I like the look of Jiggery-Pokery's Kings of Kong, lots of drum machines at a reasonable price. But then also I see this https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... eus-1-2-3/ which is samples from some old rack mount synths and it's like 49 Euros which just seems incredibly expensive. Props ReFills like Soul School are more than the cost of updating to Reason 10! I realise a lot of sampling and studio work must go into something like that but that just seems crazy expensive to me.

Anyway, recommendations if you've got em! :)

Cheers!
Hi RoryM0,

When it comes to sample based refills and quality & quantity are important you can't go wrong by taking a look at what they call 'The StoRe' - [http://www.softphonics.com/the-store ] to be honest, I buy a lot of refills and I have never been disappointed by Softphonics stuff at all. Among other developers I buy from directly, I use their stuff most often.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

Mr. Watts
Posts: 24
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

08 Nov 2017

Kings of Kong is a must have in my opinion, especially if you are into the vintage drum machine thing. As far as sample based refills are concerned, I would check out what Pink Noise has to offer. I can attest to Epik4, Virology, Revolver, Orange, and Proton as all being great sampled synth refills. As someone who owns the E-mu Proteus 1, I would advise against buying a refill emulation of it unless you know that these are the sounds you need. In my opinion the Proteus 1 sounds extremely dated and epitomizes the early 90's cheesy digital synth sound. I do however have other E-mu modules that are better but the Proteus 1 even for it's time wasn't very desirable. You should also check out Bitley's website. Way Beyond Fairlight is possibly the most well regarded refill in the Reason community and is also a must have if you have the money for it. It covers sampled synths such as the Prophet 5 and vintage drum machines so if that is your main interest then it could be a good investment. Also, Black Friday is coming up and Pink Noise had a lot of discounted refills, I would wait until then to get the best deal. Hope this helps.

User avatar
RoryM0
Posts: 17
Joined: 21 Jun 2017

08 Nov 2017

Hi PurpleMonkeyDishes and Mr. Watts, thank you both for your recommendations, I will look into these with an eye to waiting for BF deals... Also Mr. Watts thanks for your opinion on the Proteus sound, I think my interest in this sound is probably passing - but actually it stems from discovering that E-Mu Proteus synths were used on the original Myst soundtrack (the early 90's computer game). I'll prob steer clear, but if the price went down I can see my nostalgia impulse response engine kicking in for a purchase I reckon! Thanks to you both.

User avatar
faun2500
Posts: 96
Joined: 27 Sep 2015

09 Nov 2017

Hi, Please take a look at New Loops ReFills - https://newloops.com/collections/reason-refills

This one is MOOG analogue multi-samples instruments - https://newloops.com/collections/reason ... 7944934915

You can see New Loops ReFills featured on propellerheads home page and in their last newsletter too! :)
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

User avatar
qn5
Posts: 58
Joined: 29 Nov 2016
Location: NYC
Contact:

10 Nov 2017

Definitely definitely DEFINITELY WAIT till Black Friday.
I rarely ever pay full price for any VSTs or RE's because they almost ALWAYS go on sale at a crazy discount at some point and I always regret doing so. Do your research and wait for the deals to popup on BF. (Case in point, Native Instruments or Waves).
All the Navi Retlav stuff as well as the Exode stuff is great.

Bitley's WBF refill is incredible if you're into old school emulation stuff.
http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/way-beyond-fairlight/

Soundcells Pads Big Box is fantastical as well:
https://www.soundcells.de/products/refi ... e-big-box/

Soundiron's Olympus Micro Choir is pretty nifty.
https://nucleus-soundlab.com/downloads/ ... ad-reason/

A lot of the stuff from Loopmasters includes refills that are already setup to go. I use this one all the time:
https://www.loopmasters.com/product/details/1800/

Moon Echo Audio GHOST
https://www.moonechoaudio.com/ghost/

Enjoy!
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

sycon
Posts: 12
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

10 Nov 2017

Bitley's WBF2 refill is fantastic, of course. Also, I warmly recommend all Soundcells refills. Pure quality. Make sure you listen to the demo songs at https://www.soundcells.de and http://bitley.laconicsounds.net.

User avatar
RoryM0
Posts: 17
Joined: 21 Jun 2017

11 Nov 2017

Many thanks qn5 and sycon, plenty to look at for black friday!

User avatar
qn5
Posts: 58
Joined: 29 Nov 2016
Location: NYC
Contact:

12 Nov 2017

RoryM0 wrote:
11 Nov 2017
Many thanks qn5 and sycon, plenty to look at for black friday!
No problemo!
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

Mysterygrimms
Posts: 120
Joined: 10 Apr 2016

13 Nov 2017

WBF2. Simple. Wait until around Black Friday, a sale should come up then.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk


User avatar
leonxx1983
Posts: 24
Joined: 02 Oct 2016

14 Nov 2017

12 Volt drums is properly good, some of the best drum samples i've heard anywhere: http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/12voltpunch.html

User avatar
RoryM0
Posts: 17
Joined: 21 Jun 2017

14 Nov 2017

Thanks Mysterygrimms and leonxx1983! Having a look at both.

kitekrazy
Posts: 519
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

15 Nov 2017

https://www.esoundz.com/landingpages/reasonrefills.php

Sonic refills for $5. These were made before Reason 4. While I've spent a great deal of time using Kontakt libraries in other DAWs I'm surprised how good these sound in Reason.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 1555
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

15 Nov 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
15 Nov 2017
https://www.esoundz.com/landingpages/reasonrefills.php

Sonic refills for $5. These were made before Reason 4. While I've spent a great deal of time using Kontakt libraries in other DAWs I'm surprised how good these sound in Reason.
They updated it when Reason 4 came out to include combinator patches with Thor.

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 442
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

16 Nov 2017

Just to add what others have mentioned the Soul School refills do go on sale every now and then. I think individually they might be a little overpriced. And Kings of Kong is a great must have ReFill!!

User avatar
faun2500
Posts: 96
Joined: 27 Sep 2015

16 Nov 2017

faun2500 wrote:
09 Nov 2017
Hi, Please take a look at New Loops ReFills - https://newloops.com/collections/reason-refills

This one is MOOG analogue multi-samples instruments - https://newloops.com/collections/reason ... 7944934915

You can see New Loops ReFills featured on propellerheads home page and in their last newsletter too! :)
New Loops Reason ReFills are in the Black Friday Sale now! :P
Big discounts on new Reason ReFills at https://NewLoops.com :refill: :refill: :thumbs_up:

kitekrazy
Posts: 519
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

16 Nov 2017

As for Loopmaster stuff by the main zip and use refill packer to create your own. Refill packer is one of my favorite software.

User avatar
bitley™
Posts: 571
Joined: 03 Jul 2015
Location: sweden
Contact:

18 Nov 2017

Many thanks but just so you know, my refills are always reduced in price so no special deals are ever done. WBF R2 is a $199 product which you can get for just $99.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests