BADSTORM [T2ON] Phase Shifter, inspired by EHX Bad Stone

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

31 May 2024

BadStorm Phase Shifter T2ON
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... e-shifter/

• Lush, sweeping modulation & rich tonal character
• Three Distinct Models: Vintage to modern phasing
• Customization: Waveforms, ReTrig, Invert, etc

Inspired by the legendary EHX™ BadStone phaser pedal.
BadStorm brings a modern twist to a classic sound, packed with powerful new features and expanded capabilities for the discerning audio enthusiast.

The Electro-Harmonix™ BadStone, released in the 1970s, was a groundbreaking phaser pedal known for its lush, sweeping modulation and rich tonal character. It quickly became a favorite among guitarists and producers for its ability to add depth and movement to any sound, creating a unique sonic texture that defined many classic recordings. Its six-stage phasing and manual phase control set a new standard in the world of modulation effects.

The BadStorm Phase Shifter builds upon the iconic sound of the original Bad Stone, adding a wealth of new features and enhancements that push the boundaries of what a phaser can do. Whether you’re looking to recreate the vintage warmth of the original or explore new sonic territories, BadStorm is your ultimate phase-shifting tool.

Three Distinct Models with own sweep range:
- Mk-I: Inspired by the rev.1 of the original pedal (0.2-30 Hz).
- Mk-II: the classic sound of the original pedal, delivering the rich, creamy phases that defined an era (0&05-32 Hz).
- Mk-X: A modern take with an extended frequency range for broader and more dramatic phase effects (0.01-65 Hz).
-
Advanced Modulation Controls:
- Rate Sync: Sync the modulation rate to your project’s tempo for perfectly timed effects.
- Depth and Spread: Fine-tune the intensity and stereo spread of the phase modulation.
- Feedback and Feedback Cut: Control the resonance and eliminate low-frequency muddiness.
- Low-Pass and High-Pass Filters: Shape the tonal character of your phasing effect with precision.

Other & LFO Customization:
- Waveform Selection: Choose from various LFO waveforms to tailor the modulation to your needs.
- ReTrig and Invert Modulation: Add rhythmic complexity and reverse the modulation phase for unique soundscapes.
- Depth Modulation: Modulate the depth parameter itself for evolving and dynamic effects.
- Mix Control: Blend the wet and dry signals to achieve the perfect balance of effect and original tone.

BadStorm is designed for musicians and sound designers who demand versatility and quality. It offers both a nostalgic journey and a leap into new sonic dimensions. Whether you’re crafting ambient soundscapes, adding movement to your mixes, or looking for that perfect phaser sound, BadStorm delivers unmatched versatility and depth.

hamsterfactor

02 Jun 2024

Thanks, I'm looking at trialing this, once the Companion app starts working again.
:reason: Suite 11  |  :reason: 12 perpetual license  |  :re::refill: |  macOS Ventura  |  Mac Studio M1 Max

turn2on
RE Developer

03 Jun 2024

Inspired by Electro Harmonix Bad Stone pedal legend.
Guitar industry have two main historical well-known phasers:
- MXR Phase 90 (Now we work on MXR series all in one! )) To close all your needs in phasers)
- Bad Stone and Small Stone

As you know, we already have Phase28. This RE have a story: designed and developed to create first Phaser effect device for Reason, that have Sync to tempo phaser sweep. After we release Phase28, ReasonStudios release their Sweeper effect device. Yes, it also have sync and other. So we already optimise Phase28 this spring, and switch to series of main phaser pedals of guitar world (classic) and go beyond with more interesting options.

BadStorm (Bad Stone) and SmallStorm (Small Stone) is our adaptations in modern look of the great pedals, known not only for guitars, but also synths.

BadStorm, have three models:
Mk-I (like 1st original revision of pedal)
Mk-II (like actual model)
Mk-X (modern wider range variant).
If Sweeper FX in reason have limits in range as 0.05 - 50 Hz, BadStorm have 0.01 - 65 Hz limits, and sound in own way.
As original pedal, it have Manual Shift knob (you know it from Sweeper, when turn off LFO). Anyway, we prefer sometime to use this sweet phasers like EHX Bad Stone and Small Stone pedals with own character in sound.

Theo.M

03 Jun 2024

What's the maximum bar sync rate?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra/64Gb/Apollo T-Bolt 3/OS 14.5.0/R12/PT 2024/Nuendo 13
MSI GT77/13980HX/RTX 4090m/64GB/Arturia Minifuse 2/Win 11 Pro/R13/Bitwig 5/Low DPC latency tuned

turn2on
RE Developer

04 Jun 2024

Theo.M wrote:
03 Jun 2024
Hello,
As we know, SWEEPER FX, limited to 8 BAR.

Currently, BadStorm have sync range: 1/64D .. 20/4 (5 BAR)
Already add in upcoming upgrade 6,7,8 BAR.. plus 16 BAR, and now add 24 BAR. Try to add 32 BAR, but cant doing this in current RE, and 24 BARS can be enough :P

Update coming soon as possible from RS side approve, in background to R13 release.

Theo.M

04 Jun 2024

turn2on wrote:
04 Jun 2024
Theo.M wrote:
03 Jun 2024
Hello,
As we know, SWEEPER FX, limited to 8 BAR.

Currently, BadStorm have sync range: 1/64D .. 20/4 (5 BAR)
Already add in upcoming upgrade 6,7,8 BAR.. plus 16 BAR, and now add 24 BAR. Try to add 32 BAR, but cant doing this in current RE, and 24 BARS can be enough :P

Update coming soon as possible from RS side approve, in background to R13 release.
16 bar is great, that's my minimum for me to buy a phaser or flanger plugin, and they are not easy to find, so I'm going to demo this one ASAP. Cheers! 24 bars is pretty great too. 32 is so rare, I think I saw it in like 2 modulation plugins in my entire life, and I can't remember which ones.

About 10 years ago I made a remix of a song and on the string pad I added a flanger the entire way which was about 64 bars worth. I used 32/1 but I forget the plugin now. So for the 64 bars was 2 perfect synced cycles. I know it might sound crazy to some, but I find it to be a really nice effect when used subtly like this and to be able to sync perfectly is just something I love. I generally use soundtoys phase mistress at present, but of course for Reason, am trying very hard to limit vst plugins and use the rack for as much as I possibly can:)
MSI GT77/13980HX/RTX 4090m/64GB/Arturia Minifuse 2/Win 11 Pro/R13/Bitwig 5/Low DPC latency tuned

challism

15 Jun 2024

Wow, 24 bars is HUGE!

I just tried this RE and it sounds incredible. Once again, a very nice job by Turn2On!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

veezay
RE Developer

17 Jun 2024

Theo.M wrote:
04 Jun 2024
16 bar is great, that's my minimum for me to buy a phaser or flanger plugin, and they are not easy to find, so I'm going to demo this one ASAP. Cheers! 24 bars is pretty great too. 32 is so rare, I think I saw it in like 2 modulation plugins in my entire life, and I can't remember which ones.
The slowest synced LFO rate of Phaser-DDL is 32 bars (and the slowest free LFO rate of around 0.00265 Hz or 6 minutes and 18 seconds).

turn2on
RE Developer

18 Jun 2024

Here no problem add 32 BARS if needed. Problem with 32 BARS only with cycle of the Status LED in tempo sync, that can going slightly out. I just can cut LED activity for 32 BARS mode, or may be count drop to 0 at the end of every 32 BARS as additional solution. No problem, if needed. Update waiting shop page approve two weeks, in the term of R13 release.

ps: @veezay, good to have Ensoniq effects too :thumbs_up:

Theo.M

21 Jun 2024

I will check both phasers out, I have not had a single chance and in fact I haven't even launched Reason in the last 10 days:(
But definitely will this weekend :)
Thanks for all the info and being so amenable to help me.
So yes, one of those two phasers will do for sure, and then all I will need is a flanger with at least a 16 bar sync time as the trick I do is to combine in a certain way over very long sync over slow pad. Does anyone know if Rob Papen Predator in the RE version has the effects module like the VST version does? If so that's perfect, that's one of the best flanger ever made and has very long times.

Theo.M

Yesterday

turn2on wrote:
22 Jun 2024
Look also to FlangerDbl (MXR Blueface flanger / doubler)

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ari-delay/

In Sync mode it have 16 bars
Oooh ok, will check it out!

• Information