Ekssperimental Sounds Transistor Drum Machine in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Quarmat
Competition Winner

11 Apr 2024

Sexy RE as usual... very tempted even if I do not really need it >:)

dvdrtldg

11 Apr 2024

Quarmat wrote:
11 Apr 2024
very tempted even if I do not really need it >:)
Same. Ekss has a way of coming up with REs where I'm like "Yeah, probably don't need this one" and then I trial it and I'm like "Oh shit, I have to have this one"

dan_g

12 Apr 2024

tr-606 drumatix. really nice design
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

ekss
RE Developer

12 Apr 2024

There is a bunch in stock! 😄
I set this one at a rather low price (39) due to the fact it's a pretty simple device, kind of limited because I wanted it to be a quick and easy, realistic sikss'oh'sikss experience, without any additional drums or too many options, just a few mods.
And without its fiddly sequencer. The main sequencer in Reason is way more flexible to work in (I'd would love if they made the drum lane view possible for REs, now we're stuck with the piano roll - BD on C1 etc.. it works great once you learn the few keys used) and then there's Drum Sequencer player that fits great, I included templates for it with the patches.
The original is kind of infamous for having a weak kick, I like it tho – kind of hard and punchy when you turn it up and use accent, but you could also turn it down completely and hook up a Drumsyn with the BD CV Out and run Transistor Drum Machine through Drumsyns 'mix in' audio jacks if you want to keep channel count down. Or tune it down for a near 808 low subby boom.

To summarize; a quick and convenient 606 that sounds great and has a few goodies added. Hope you like it!

The intro price offer (29) is on until the end of April!

Here's a teaser of it being used with the upcoming ES10 synth:

geronimo

12 Apr 2024

Et maintenant, le prix est de 32 € !

This will increase the amount of the Rewards a little more. ;)

ekss
RE Developer

12 Apr 2024

geronimo wrote:
12 Apr 2024
Et maintenant, le prix est de 32 € !

This will increase the amount of the Rewards a little more. ;)
True! 29/39 is USD, euro differs a bit due to exchange rates and perhaps also VAT.

geronimo

12 Apr 2024

Yesterday, it was €29 .

ekss
RE Developer

12 Apr 2024

geronimo wrote:
12 Apr 2024
Yesterday, it was €29 .
You must have seen the USD price yesterday, the prices are fixed and I haven't changed it :)

SebAudio

12 Apr 2024

I like all of Ekss skeuomorphic designs. The 3D renders of this last one are great, but I can’t bear 2D brushed aluminum anymore.
Nice intro price. I’d love such a price on the drum synth REs !

motuscott

12 Apr 2024

Audio examples sound cool. Nice rhythm programming there. I sometimes wish I could make a riddum like that on the computer, but I can't yet. There's other things I can do, so it all works out.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

ekss
RE Developer

12 Apr 2024

SebAudio wrote:
12 Apr 2024
I like all of Ekss skeuomorphic designs. The 3D renders of this last one are great, but I can’t bear 2D brushed aluminum anymore.
Good that this isn't brushed alu then, it's more like a painted silver/grey material :)

Theo.M

12 Apr 2024

Hi, is this samples or synthesis modelling based?

crimsonwarlock

13 Apr 2024

Theo.M wrote:
12 Apr 2024
From the shop page:
Authentic Vintage Sound: Based on samples from a brand new handbuilt 1:1 analog replica, with DSP-based additions for tweaking and transistor-type waveshaping stages for an authentic analog vibe with both punch and crunch.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ekss
RE Developer

13 Apr 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Apr 2024
Theo.M wrote:
12 Apr 2024
From the shop page:
Authentic Vintage Sound: Based on samples from a brand new handbuilt 1:1 analog replica, with DSP-based additions for tweaking and transistor-type waveshaping stages for an authentic analog vibe with both punch and crunch.
Yes, sampels and synthesis in combination. In other words; it's not just static samples; as an example the original 606 has a decay of the hats and cymbal that vary with the tempo, this has been replicated and there are some processing going on to create micro irregularities for each hit. The decay of the snare is modeled with synthesis, filtering and waveshaping to recreate the noise of the original and can be turned up to decay much longer than normal.
All in all the samples are like one building block of the sound creation and character but it's pretty much other stuff going on too, to make it feel and sound as it does.

SebAudio

13 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
12 Apr 2024
SebAudio wrote:
12 Apr 2024
Good that this isn't brushed alu then, it's more like a painted silver/grey material :)
That changes everything indeed ! :puf_smile:

Steedus
Competition Winner

13 Apr 2024

although I've heard of the 606, I had no idea what it looked like. I didn't know there was another device with the same aesthetic as the 303 so I was confused when I saw this and read it was a drum machine haha :redface:

rorystorm

13 Apr 2024

excellent combinators. Mini big beats - wonderful!

used to own a 606 which I had to sell in a moment of financial desperation. a very sad day.

geronimo

14 Apr 2024

Is Ring Mode a modulation between Cymbals and Hi-hats, please ?

ekss
RE Developer

14 Apr 2024

geronimo wrote:
14 Apr 2024
Is Ring Mode a modulation between Cymbals and Hi-hats, please ?
It is ring modulation of cymbals and hi-hats, meaning they both go into the ring modulator and is modulated by a frequency set by Ring Mod Tune. (they don't modulator each other - i think that would be too unpredictable and not particularly good sounding).

ekss
RE Developer

14 Apr 2024

rorystorm wrote:
13 Apr 2024
excellent combinators. Mini big beats - wonderful!

used to own a 606 which I had to sell in a moment of financial desperation. a very sad day.
Same here, it was my first drum machine and had to sell it many years ago. If you're into electronics and want a hardware version I can warmly recommend the RE-606 from DinSync; it's a 1:1 replica that uses recreations of the exact same circuit boards - most components are easy to find, and it's a pretty straight forward build. Pure magic when you switch it on and hear those familiar sounds from your own build<3

veezay
RE Developer

14 Apr 2024

Tiny typo in the Control Unit, says "Hiat" on the right. :puf_wink:

Edit: Nevermind, it's fixed in the actual device. Typo's only in the picture on the product page.

ekss
RE Developer

14 Apr 2024

veezay wrote:
14 Apr 2024
Tiny typo in the Control Unit, says "Hiat" on the right. :puf_wink:

Edit: Nevermind, it's fixed in the actual device. Typo's only in the picture on the product page.
Ahh thanks, will update the screeenshot :)

Theo.M

14 Apr 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Apr 2024
Theo.M wrote:
12 Apr 2024
From the shop page:
LOL I was about to post and say "I just checked the site again and no it doesn't say samples". Then on a third read through I noticed immediately as it was one of the first bits of info.
Sorry about that, I DID look before asking, I am going to use old age and glasses not on as my excuse :shock:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2024

Theo.M wrote:
14 Apr 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Apr 2024

From the shop page:

LOL I was about to post and say "I just checked the site again and no it doesn't say samples". Then on a third read through I noticed immediately as it was one of the first bits of info.
Sorry about that, I DID look before asking, I am going to use old age and glasses not on as my excuse :shock:
Glasses of Laphroaig?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information