Ekssperimental Sounds Transistor Drum Machine in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
supersmarter

15 Apr 2024

Shit man everything you do is so amazing even when available in other formats. I am so excited to try this out.

I didn't know you were into machines. If I did I would already hire a contract killer to push you into making your own take on 909 and 808 - but 909 first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate (love you) you. Everytime ekss put something out I need to prepare money

Faastwalker

15 Apr 2024

Soft spot for the 606. Insta buy :thumbup:

ekss
RE Developer

15 Apr 2024

supersmarter wrote:
15 Apr 2024
Shit man everything you do is so amazing even when available in other formats. I am so excited to try this out.

I didn't know you were into machines. If I did I would already hire a contract killer to push you into making your own take on 909 and 808 - but 909 first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pep! I through it might be unnecessary to do the 808/909 since we have the JackBox REs already. What would you wish was different if I where to build my own versions?

supersmarter

16 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
15 Apr 2024
supersmarter wrote:
15 Apr 2024

Thanks for the pep! I through it might be unnecessary to do the 808/909 since we have the JackBox REs already. What would you wish was different if I where to build my own versions?

As an avid fan of the 909 sound and a former owner of a real 909 (a few years ago I was in a financial crisis so the device was sold and now the price has skyrocketed), I have a Roland TR-8S, a Novation 909, a Behringer RD-9 and literally every possible VST emulations that exist (literally all) I think I can make a good judgment about the Jackbox 7R-909 product.

I love Quadelectra and use their products often, but their version of the 909 is nowhere near authentic. Yes, someone might get confused and say it sounds like the real deal, but not me. Attention to detail is not enough. And that is what you at EKSS do well.

For what is worth I am well aware of Quadelectra's claim in the product description but all of my findings you can check and see for yourself - these do not exist in their version so I am unsure why they said in the product description "meticulously emulated". Also "Where applicable - according to the hardware counterpart, sounds have been carefully tweaked so that, although they may resemble, they are never exactly the same, just as if they where generated with analog circuitry" - not happening in the enough of the effect. Once again I am not ditching or flaming their product (I own it) but the description is not true to the form. Especially Example 3 which is like a feature of 909 - cloned and emulated in many VST forms. That is completely missing in Jackbox and it would have been very obvious if real schematics were studied.

Example 1. The sounds are too static. There is no chance, no theory ever, but no 909 will ever produce as stable an output as the Jackbox version in terms of volume. Everything sounds like a machine gun. The fluctuations in the sound are too small. Many other VST emulations handle this well.

It doesn't matter to some, but in the end, it's what elevates a good product in its authenticity.

In addition, the design of this product represents a challenge in many aspects. For example, hypothetically you can buy a real 909 and its BassDrum can sound completely different (not subtly) than on another 909. Due to aging, it may happen that Cymbals are pitched a few semitones lower. Roland TR-8S ACB has solved this elegantly, they offer a couple of Bassdrum models and each one is distinctively different. And Cymbals have a tuning control. As well as on Drumazon.

Roland Tr-8S also has extended models (longer decay), but when we talk about the authentic Kick, they made an effort. There are at least two models. So, for example, you have two kicks in the TR-8S that sound even different from their 909 Roland Cloud version (which is replica of their small TR-09), which in itself still sounds authentic (and better than the Jackbox version).

Example 2: the clap is too static
Example 3: Again the clap and snare. Quadelectra either didn't follow the schematic or made a model based on samples that are on the internet. If you have a snare hit in the sequencer (whether DAW sequencer or internal) that is in the same position as the clap then the end result is as if the clap and snare were played through the Phaser effect. The so-called phaser effect confused even new owners because they thought it was a bug in the real 909, but in the end it turned out to be a feature of the schematic model. TR-8S, Roland Cloud and Drumazon 2 have emulated it and it sounds like a FX.

This phenomenon immediately reminded me of the laughter that this thread provoked in me (not mocking but sympathetic laughter because more people thought something was wrong and everything was ok)

https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... blems.html

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?p=297289

https://support.roland.com/hc/en-us/art ... 909-series

And so on and so forth, there are a lot of examples there. Furthermore, 909 sound is not only about sound. Namely, the sequencer and its imperfections are what give it "groove". It is modeled perfectly on the TR-8S. Ok, that can be solved within Reason itself.

So you see an authentic 909 (or 808) in RE format simply does not exist for now. At least not in RE format. Drumazon 2 is very close, but their Kick gives me headaches. And as I said, I have all possible emulations. Surprisingly to me, perhaps the most authentic emulation soundwise (which is buggy and flawed) comes in the form of MaxForLive for Ableton Live.

The point I wanted to make is that I would like someone to do the 909 in RE format properly. If you ever decide on such a project, let me know and I'll be happy to get involved. I can provide you with samples and feedback.

Mataya

16 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
15 Apr 2024
supersmarter wrote:
15 Apr 2024

Drumazone2 of course. :)

supersmarter

16 Apr 2024

Mataya wrote:
16 Apr 2024
ekss wrote:
15 Apr 2024

Haha yes Drumazon 2 but with a better Kick model (or several to choose from). Everything else in Drumazon is ok. I did have some complaints about the Cymbals and even though they are samples, D16 staff member explained to me what they did differently and why (legal reasons).

Re8et
Competition Winner

16 Apr 2024

I welcome any new RE.
I own a Roland TR-06. It is true the Kick is a bit weak, but Roland added three distortion effects that can be assigned individually to each sound.
Basically it sounds exactly like the TR-08, after distortion. Tr-09 Kick is way more punchy than both.

I also would love to see an update to Sadist effcts, with some new modules added, or Filter chain X8187.
How's CPU on this new Transistor Drums doing?
If its synthesized sounds, I might want to give it a try anyway.
Yes I don't mind no drum sequencer, but I still love Knock with its Jungle sequences for its immediacy and regards it
as my top drum module for live sections.
So do not think its overall cool to despise the sequencer (with drum sequences) when trying to sell your stuff....

dioxide

16 Apr 2024

Weak? People haven’t heard a 606 kick through a club system it seems. It might not be as bassy as an 808 but weak it is not.

ekss
RE Developer

16 Apr 2024

supersmarter wrote:
16 Apr 2024
Mataya wrote:
16 Apr 2024

Haha yes Drumazon 2 but with a better Kick model (or several to choose from). Everything else in Drumazon is ok. I did have some complaints about the Cymbals and even though they are samples, D16 staff member explained to me what they did differently and why (legal reasons).
Thats one of the backsides - since the cymbals are samples it's not really possible to just steal them, i'd probably have to samle the came type of cymbal and degrade it by some kind of bitreduction or other type of compression to mimic the sound of the ROMs.
Than there are many challanges to build a sequencer with the IDT/GE toolkit, since scripting/code is my weakest point I think that would be nearly impossible, at least for now. I tried to build a super simple 8 step sequencer for an upcoming synth, still a lot to work out before it can be used :redface:
Then there's the final and definite problem; a limitation of maximum 8 outputs, so individual outs are not possible for all sounds on an 808 or 909.
So I would need to team up with a C+ programmer if those aspects should be realised... Times like these I wished I know how to program..!

I have used the TR606, TR707, TR-06, TR-08, TR-09, countless sample packs and software versions.. But since a couple of years I only run DinSync's hardware replicas. Truely amazing work by all involved there, attention to detail is unmatched. I can really recommend building any of them if you're into electronics and want the next best to the real deal for (relatively) cheap. See some of them here:

...of course now I'll use TRANSISTOR Drum Machine in Reason :reason: :-)

ekss
RE Developer

16 Apr 2024

dioxide wrote:
16 Apr 2024
Weak? People haven’t heard a 606 kick through a club system it seems. It might not be as bassy as an 808 but weak it is not.
I agree, I think it's quite punchy and nice. :cool:
They're probably comparing to the boomy 808 or hard hitting 909...

supersmarter

17 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
16 Apr 2024
supersmarter wrote:
16 Apr 2024

Thats one of the backsides - since the cymbals are samples it's not really possible to just steal them, i'd probably have to samle the came type of cymbal and degrade it by some kind of bitreduction or other type of compression to mimic the sound of the ROMs.
Than there are many challanges to build a sequencer with the IDT/GE toolkit, since scripting/code is my weakest point I think that would be nearly impossible, at least for now. I tried to build a super simple 8 step sequencer for an upcoming synth, still a lot to work out before it can be used :redface:
Then there's the final and definite problem; a limitation of maximum 8 outputs, so individual outs are not possible for all sounds on an 808 or 909.
So I would need to team up with a C+ programmer if those aspects should be realised... Times like these I wished I know how to program..!

I have used the TR606, TR707, TR-06, TR-08, TR-09, countless sample packs and software versions.. But since a couple of years I only run DinSync's hardware replicas. Truely amazing work by all involved there, attention to detail is unmatched. I can really recommend building any of them if you're into electronics and want the next best to the real deal for (relatively) cheap. See some of them here:

...of course now I'll use TRANSISTOR Drum Machine in Reason :reason: :-)
Almost none of these are issues at least the way I see it.

Cymbals:
I have 909 cymbals extracted directly from ROM. Yes, RAW samples. I talked with several famous developers about how they got away with it. I also talked with 909 Kontakt library makers. Some of them haven't done anything at all (and still selling today). Apparently, the line is blurred here but for example, the CH raw sample is way longer than what you hear on a real 909. What some of them did is they cut it a little bit on the end so that the final result is not the same but in practice it is impossible to hear the difference. Some color it with the VCA module at the output.

Sequencer: yes that is a batch but people can use Reason Drum Sequencer and or any other sequencer to style, shuffle, and groove (Lectrc Panda has awesome drum sequencers).

Maximum output - not a problem. So there are 10 outputs on the real thing. You have what 8 outputs? Almost never all of the outputs are used. I don't even know any song where are of the instruments were used at all times. but if they are one can group say Crash and Ride. Clap and Snare. And get away with it. Or put all toms in one group and make PAN control on the interface so that people could pan them.

Anyway, I am sure there are many challenges. It would have been cool to have something decent. Like expertly done 909 in RE.

Regards

ekss
RE Developer

17 Apr 2024

supersmarter wrote:
17 Apr 2024

Cymbals:
I have 909 cymbals extracted directly from ROM. Yes, RAW samples.

Sequencer: yes that is a batch but people can use Reason Drum Sequencer and or any other sequencer to style, shuffle, and groove (Lectrc Panda has awesome drum sequencers).

Maximum output - not a problem.
Yes, if those compromises are accepted I might actually give it a shot. Would love to have it in in the rack.
Very interested in checking out those raw samples, I'll send you a PM. =)

• Information