The Legend. VST or RE? Also, general wishes re VIs and POLY

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Theo.M

09 Apr 2024

Sorry, I didn't know where to put it but the same goes if I put it in VST, it relates to both, so I hope this is ok.

Firstly, let's start with the poly.

I am still at a complete loss to understand and I just don't get it, why Vi's are being released with these tight voice constraints. The legend is using all of 5 percent of one core for 8 voices here on a pad sound (with obvious note stealing), this is not 2000 anymore. Even THE cheapest laptop with a base intel or AMD processor could do 32 voices on one core and have room to spare, AND every computer sold in the last decade is multi core to begin with.
I don't understand it and I never will, so I am wondering if there is any argument or reason besides "purist" and "hardware emulation".
The Legend is a perfect example as it is more of a general VA and should absolutely have a 16 poly mode.
I am playing the wonderful BP Strings patch and I will literally have to split the midi part across multiple track instances to avoid note stealing. Isn't this ridiculous in 2024? Let alone long before 2024? For a VI? We are not dealing with super tight hardware constraints of underpowered hardware synth dsp chips. I just don't get it, I will never get it, and I even think we should band together as a rule not to buy stuff that is artificially limited like this LOL.

And then instantly I will break my rule cause I want to get the Legend, only if there's a sale for the VST, or I can do a rent to own for the RE (I wish every developer allowed this for their RE no matter the price) which is something I CAN pull off, whereas paying 100 USD flat out right now I simply can not.

So this is my question.
Wait for the VST sale which will happen at some point
or do an RE rent to own and if not using Reason as my DAW, simply use it IN the reason plugin in ANY Daw!?!

I am starting to think, and this is what I am really wanting discussion about from anyone interested, that it might be worth buying RE's of *any* plugin that has both an RE and a VST, rather than the VST (or other format), due to the advantages reason can provide as a plugin. 1) I can use any Reason player or any Reason native device with it in plugin mode 2) Combinator patches although I don't see any in the Legend's sound bank in this example (does anyone do 3rd party killer legend patches with combis too)?

What do you think? I know this might be a weird way of looking at it, specifically buying RE over VST/AU etc, but looking at it from the point of all the unique interactions we can make with it in Reason's rack, including in the plugin version, so I can do all this even in Pro Tools, well, it really got me thinking today when I went and put Legend on my future VST bucket list and I thought, "Hang on, why not just get the RE at 10 bucks a month and use it in any DAW anyway"?

Thoughts?

What would you prefer of the two?

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2024

I understand limitations can be frustrating at times. Sometimes you have to do workarounds to get to where you want. But for me I to try to embrace an instruments limitations. I've had plenty of moments where an instrument's limitations has force me to go in a new direction I haven't gone before. It can be exciting. To use your own example, I remember when Legend was only able to play 4 voices and I ended up with a cool chord part in a song that I wouldn't have come up with if it weren't for that limitation. Same with FM4 in unison mode.
There's probably a reason why Legend is one of my few go-to synths. It's very limited and quick and easy to work with. If I want endless options I have stuff like Expanse.
When it comes to these things, I tend to look at what's there rather than what isn't there. To work with the quirks rather than fight against them. Of course there are many other valid ways to look at it. Sometimes an added function can really add to the experience and quality of an instrument.

I've only used the Legend RE version, so I have no opinion on the VST.

honeyBadger

09 Apr 2024

Both, if you buy the RE you can request the VST from synapse but not the other way around. Would be a good idea to send them an email to double check as they were considering changing this policy last year in order to offer the RE at a lower price: viewtopic.php?p=653302

They have really great customer service.

Theo.M

09 Apr 2024

honeyBadger wrote:
09 Apr 2024
Both, if you buy the RE you can request the VST from synapse but not the other way around. Would be a good idea to send them an email to double check as they were considering changing this policy last year in order to offer the RE at a lower price: viewtopic.php?p=653302

They have really great customer service.
I was actually beta tester and had it and Antidote but I don't know if that counts now that it's a new reason account. Sure would make life easier though.

ambi

15 Apr 2024

honeyBadger wrote:
09 Apr 2024
Both, if you buy the RE you can request the VST from synapse but not the other way around.
How does that work? What information do I have to send to them?

Popey
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2024

ambi wrote:
15 Apr 2024
honeyBadger wrote:
09 Apr 2024
Both, if you buy the RE you can request the VST from synapse but not the other way around.
If I recall correctly I had to send them a screenshot of the legend re in my account but it's been a long while since I did this.

If you contact synapse support they will let you know what you need to provide as evidence.

ambi

15 Apr 2024

Popey wrote:
15 Apr 2024
ambi wrote:
15 Apr 2024

If I recall correctly I had to send them a screenshot of the legend re in my account but it's been a long while since I did this.

If you contact synapse support they will let you know what you need to provide as evidence.
Okay, thx.

Popey
Competition Winner

15 Apr 2024

ambi wrote:
15 Apr 2024
Popey wrote:
15 Apr 2024

Okay, thx.
I had a quick look after posting this and can see I sent synapse a screenshot of when I purchased the legend from the my orders section of my reason account. That's all they needed to email me a, serial number I could then register for legend vst.

• Information