Audio to midi

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Lov2sing

04 Apr 2024

Is there a device that turns audio into midi? I want to sing in my audio then convert it to midi so I can use instruments with my voice as the controller. I saw a vst that does that but before I purchase it I rather have an RE that can simulate the effect.
We make music for a reason

ekss
RE Developer

04 Apr 2024

Lov2sing wrote:
04 Apr 2024
Is there a device that turns audio into midi? I want to sing in my audio then convert it to midi so I can use instruments with my voice as the controller. I saw a vst that does that but before I purchase it I rather have an RE that can simulate the effect.
No need for additional devices, bounce audio to notes directly in the sequencer :)

Lov2sing

04 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
04 Apr 2024
Lov2sing wrote:
04 Apr 2024
No need for additional devices, bounce audio to notes directly in the sequencer :)
So if I wanted to send my voice through the Subtractor it my voice would be the controller for the device? If that’s possible then I will give it a try. Thanks!

Theo.M

04 Apr 2024

That's one dealbreaker for me that will prevent me (for now) using Reason as my full time DAW. No ARA 2 support.
Melodyne just gives the most amazing audio to midi, and there are other incredible plugins like the SynchroArts ones that benefit from ARA 2 workflow.
That said, melodyne WILL still give you audio to midi in reason via the VST 3 plugin, so keep this in mind as an option. I think even the entry level does it, albeit I can't remember if it's polyphonic in the Melodyne Essentials (which comes with some interfaces and many other DAWs).

Lov2sing

04 Apr 2024

Theo.M wrote:
04 Apr 2024
That's one dealbreaker for me that will prevent me (for now) using Reason as my full time DAW. No ARA 2 support.
Melodyne just gives the most amazing audio to midi, and there are other incredible plugins like the SynchroArts ones that benefit from ARA 2 workflow.
That said, melodyne WILL still give you audio to midi in reason via the VST 3 plugin, so keep this in mind as an option. I think even the entry level does it, albeit I can't remember if it's polyphonic in the Melodyne Essentials (which comes with some interfaces and many other DAWs).
Thank you. I have seen some VST’s that can accomplish the task. I was just checking to se if anything in Reason coukd do the job. Thanks again.

Theo.M

04 Apr 2024

Lov2sing wrote:
04 Apr 2024
Theo.M wrote:
04 Apr 2024
Thank you. I have seen some VST’s that can accomplish the task. I was just checking to se if anything in Reason coukd do the job. Thanks again.
I myself didn't know that Reason could do it for mono signals built right into the DAW, so, very cool!

The reason I mentioned Melodyne, despite the cost, is because it's the best, it really is. Sometimes you get what you pay for but I really hope Reason gives you the results you need. Cheers!

Lov2sing

04 Apr 2024

Theo.M wrote:
04 Apr 2024
Lov2sing wrote:
04 Apr 2024

I myself didn't know that Reason could do it for mono signals built right into the DAW, so, very cool!

The reason I mentioned Melodyne, despite the cost, is because it's the best, it really is. Sometimes you get what you pay for but I really hope Reason gives you the results you need. Cheers!
I thank you too. I have a cheaper version of Melodyne, and I agree it the best for Vocals; however, I am trying to stay within the program. But I agree there are other tools out there.

ambi

05 Apr 2024

How about this:

You connect the audio out of the microphone's
audio track channel with a Neptune. Neptune's CV Amplitude Out goes into the Instruments Gate In and the CV Pitch out gets converted to unipolar in a free CVA-7 and then goes into the instruments Note/CV In.

It does not print the notes you sing into the microphone to the sequencer but it should enable you to play an instrument with your voice

ambi

05 Apr 2024

Would look like this:
IMG_20240405_132206.png
IMG_20240405_132206.png (973.74 KiB) Viewed 661 times

Lov2sing

05 Apr 2024

ambi wrote:
05 Apr 2024
How about this:

You connect the audio out of the microphone's
audio track channel with a Neptune. Neptune's CV Amplitude Out goes into the Instruments Gate In and the CV Pitch out gets converted to unipolar in a free CVA-7 and then goes into the instruments Note/CV In.

It does not print the notes you sing into the microphone to the sequencer but it should enable you to play an instrument with your voice

Wow! I will try that. This is one of the reasons I love this DAW, for there is always a work around. I appreciate your help. Thank you all.

crimsonwarlock

05 Apr 2024

Lov2sing wrote:
05 Apr 2024
Wow! I will try that. This is one of the reasons I love this DAW, for there is always a work around. I appreciate your help. Thank you all.
And just so you know, BV-X does all this within one RE :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

ekss
RE Developer

05 Apr 2024

ambi wrote:
05 Apr 2024
Would look like this:

IMG_20240405_132206.png
Just thought of this too, came here and found that you already posted it 👌

Lov2sing

05 Apr 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Apr 2024
Lov2sing wrote:
05 Apr 2024
And just so you know, BV-X does all this within one RE :puf_wink:
Thanks. That’s the thing I was looking for. So I am going to try to track using all the ones you guys told me. I want to know which method works the best. Maybe I will create is combinator that has them all and maybe blend them together. Thanks again.

• Information