Ekss Dub Preamp - question

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

03 Apr 2024

I've got my eye on this RE as I've been doing some dubby stuff recently and the preamp looks & sounds great. But I have a couple of questions about exactly how it works, and the "info sheet" is short on details

So... I get that I can just use it as an insert on a track or bus, using the main L & R inputs. But what are the two line inputs typically used for?

And what's going on here?

ekss
RE Developer

04 Apr 2024

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Apr 2024
I've got my eye on this RE as I've been doing some dubby stuff recently and the preamp looks & sounds great. But I have a couple of questions about exactly how it works, and the "info sheet" is short on details

So... I get that I can just use it as an insert on a track or bus, using the main L & R inputs. But what are the two line inputs typically used for?

And what's going on here?

The line ins are typically used for sound effects like dub siren, synare drum or such.
This RE emulates (well more inspired of) a hardware preamp that we use to play tracks on our home build sound system, on dance events. It's mainly used to eq and tweak each track to sound good on the speaker boxes, and as a performance tool, like lifting the bass, adding effects, solo the bass while a live MC toast on top etc..

There are two sends, these are normally connected to echos (sometime reverbs) the knobs circled are the return levels and filtering of the return signal.

It's not really made to be use as an insert, but it can of course be used however you like :)

Here's a demo I found of a guy showing his custom preamp:

Steedus
Competition Winner

04 Apr 2024

I admit most of the time I literally just use it and the saturation circuit on bass and kick drums as an insert. Has a very unique sound 👍

dvdrtldg

04 Apr 2024

Yep when I trialled it, I was loving the EQ section on pretty much anything

Thanks ekss for the reply! Looks like I'm going to have to buy this thing

• Information