8 Band Filter/Shifter/Shaper out now!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ekss
RE Developer

16 Mar 2024

Hi!

After quite a hiatus (work/life/etc happened..) I'm finally getting some new devices ready for release. First out is the 8 Band Filter/Shifter/Shaper, inspired by old school modular synths. A versatile tool with extensive CV connectivity. It can even be configured to work as an old-school vocoder - check out the included Combinator patches!
Another fun thing is to ping the filters at high resonance with some very slow waveforms for bleepbloopy percussive sounds.
It can also work as a multiband frequency shifter, phaser or shaper.
The tripple sine-setting will fold the wave for FM-ish modulation dependent on the amplitude.
Each band also has CV in for Level wich makes it 8 VCAs in one device.
The spread will pan even/odd bands in opposite directions for stereo effects.
All bands can have individual filter frequencies and all of them can be modulated at the same time with Global Freq Offset CV input.
All in all, quite a comprehensive toolset for experimental timbre work!

Hope you'll like it!

ekss
RE Developer

16 Mar 2024

Thanks! :thumbup:

rorystorm

16 Mar 2024

Really like the music in the video, sounds like early Pole.

Bes
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2024

this is applicable to my interests :thumbs_up:
- Certified Reason expert

Steedus
Competition Winner

17 Mar 2024

Welcome back :clap:

steff3

25 Mar 2024

Hello ekss,

the audio passing indicators per band are pretty weak (the difference of constrast seems low) - could that be improved?

Thanks

ekss
RE Developer

25 Mar 2024

steff3 wrote:
25 Mar 2024
Hello ekss,

the audio passing indicators per band are pretty weak (the difference of constrast seems low) - could that be improved?

Thanks

They're very dependent on what material is fed and what the frequency and resonance is set to on the particular band. I could try make the animation light stronger within fewer first frames, but it wouldn't be great if it reach full light "too soon", I mean they're configured for a good "resolution" showing weak light on a weak signal and strong light on a strong one. I don't think I'd like to increase the top brightness beyond red, but I'll have a look on this asap and see if I can come up with something for more light action.

dvdrtldg

25 Mar 2024

I'm loving this, it's perfect for dub weirdness

ekss
RE Developer

19 Apr 2024

steff3 wrote:
25 Mar 2024
Hello ekss,

Thanks
Hi!

An update is now available with two changes:
  • Indicator lights have adjusted range to ligth up earlier/more
  • Envelope Follower CV Out has a Threshold trimmer - I found them to some times be too sensitive so this adds an option to up the threshold to so that only the stronger singals are sent out via CV.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... tershaper/

steff3

19 Apr 2024

ekss wrote:
19 Apr 2024

Hi!

An update is now available with two changes:
  • Indicator lights have adjusted range to ligth up earlier/more
  • Envelope Follower CV Out has a Threshold trimmer - I found them to some times be too sensitive so this adds an option to up the threshold to so that only the stronger singals are sent out via CV.
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... tershaper/
Thanks, I like it, it is now easier to identify when a band has activity.

One suggestion for the back-panel - maybe it would make inputs and outputs easier to identify if they were split up - it would maybe be easier if the output (E.F.) would be at the top and the the inputs grouped below it? E.F. output at the bottom does not really work due to band 1 & 2 (and the cooling) ... just some thoughts.

This is really a nice device, worth having it and trying it on lots of signals.

Cheers

ekss
RE Developer

19 Apr 2024

steff3 wrote:
19 Apr 2024
One suggestion for the back-panel - maybe it would make inputs and outputs easier to identify if they were split up
The jacks are arranged in the order of the signal, it flows from top to bottom - but now I'm doubting if EF actually should be placed between FREQ and SHIFT, must look it up to be certain.
I thought it was a good separation to switch jack/knob in opposing sides of the in-jacks, maybe it would be better to also have an inverted frame around it.. It certainly would be nice if it was still in line of the signal flow and also more visually obvious. Thanks for pointing it out!

• Information