Do I need The Legend?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Loque

09 Mar 2024

Chi-Individual wrote:
09 Mar 2024
joeyluck wrote:
09 Mar 2024

Yeah should be pretty cool! Also kind of funny that Synapse has a synth called Dune and the synth used for the Dune movie was Legend lol
Or maybe the Dune synth was also used ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That is wild. Dune used in Dune. I just hope the HZ RE version has a killer fx section to tap into like Obsession and The Legend.
Dune 3 will be used in Dune 3.
Reason12, Win10

Theo.M

23 Mar 2024

It's very expensive, but it IS a nice VA.

I have a lot of time and respect for Rich of Synapse Audio, he is talented, and has always been a gentleman to say the least.

But I don't think the Legend is worth 109 Euros. Do you use any other platform, ever? If so, maybe look at the VST which there is of that one.

Secondly, you can get real hardware analog mono synths for just a bit more cash these days. Seriously.

My issue with the Legend is its restricted polyphony which just makes no sense on a software synth. 4 or 8 voices, max? I can barely play a chord with 8, but 8 is the minimum number threshold for me personally if I am buying a poly synth, but even then I struggle with note stealing, and that's with 4 note chords or even 3. I have to set the release really short and try make it up with verb and delay, and it can be a challenge to get it just right. 8 voices is VERY quickly eaten when doing poly material.

I look at the Legend as something to make some nice fat bass with. The polyphony just isn't there to do with it what I'd WANT to do with it, and there'd be voice stealing all the time.

But to make fat bass I'd rather buy a cheap real analog, not a digital synth.

That's just me, no disrespect to Synapse or Rich, and I hope you can appreciate we can only really post our own opinions on a product.

it DOES sound good though. So if you want it for bass and maybe 2 note sweeping pads and drones or heck even single note, and are dead set against analog hardware, then sure, it's a great choice.

i.e. it all depends what you want it for.

FLVZ

27 Mar 2024

Really interesting to read a lot of you guys find VK2 too complicated.
I've always found it to be as simple or complex as you want it to be,
which in some ways meant it replaced legend for more experimental ideas,
but legend is still a go to for traditional moog type synth lines.
I was watching Dune 2 yesterday and for me without the score,
the film falls apart in some places so its interesting to hear there will be a HZ,
version coming out. I recently got Dune 3 and that thing is a beast,
wouldn't be surprised if some features were brought to an updated Legend synth.

• Information