Do I need The Legend?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ambi

07 Mar 2024

Today I wanted to buy The Legend by Synapse Audio but then I realized that they seem to have increased the price by 10€. It was 99€ and now it's 109€.
Now I'm asking myself if I really need The Legend if I already got VK-2.
I trialed The Legend long time ago as RE and VST. Not extensively, only for a few minutes but I remember that it had an outstanding quality of sound.
Since I can't compare VK-2 and The Legend I would like to know your opinion on the difference of sound quality of the two. Is it significant? Does it justify getting The Legend as well?
And what if I buy the VST for 99€? Will I get the RE for free even though it's 10€ more expensive?

BTW, I don't care for the VST, so that doesn't add any value for me and I also don't care for an accurate Mini Moog simulation. I never had a Mini so being a 99,9% accurate simulation is irrelevant to me.

Chi-Individual

07 Mar 2024

Buy the RE and get the VST for free, in that order. I use it on almost every track for my bass sounds. And it’s a great FX with the delay and reverb and saturation. I find it easier to work with than VK2, IMO. Dialing in sounds is just simpler for how I work but there is a slight difference in the sounds. I can’t explain it, lack of the right vocab, but I like the sound of the Legend better and it’s super light on CPU.

Edit: I’d also just wait for a sale if you’re in no rush. The May Madness sale might happen this year like in previous years. I think they’re usually participants. And if you have rewards cash it’s in the rewards shop.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Mar 2024

Unpopular opinion here. I've never really liked VK-2. I know most people love it and probably for good reason. But I personally find it confusing to work with. Most synths I get the basics with. But I just don't click with VK-2. It's probably too advanced for me. I would be ok with that if I liked most of the included patches, but I don't unfortunately.
With Legend I love making my own patches. I find it very quick and intuitive. Everything is so accessible and easy to understand. Sounds great. Looks great. Great reverb. But my favorite parts are the filter section combined with the drive knob. It's so easy to get squelchy and thick sounds.
For me Legend and Europa are the only two synths I use on a regular basis. All other synths tends to vary.

I have a couple of songs where I've used Legend exclusively. Let me know if you want to hear them for demo purposes. I can post some links.

Mataya

07 Mar 2024

I like them both, but find my self using VK2 more often. I get in a more experimental mode with it. Not making classic basses or boring leads at all with it.Fming with it a lot and filters are great and few stages of saturation trough out makes it a beast.
Also VK1- Viking is different and if beefy is what you want, then you'll get it with VK1 and it's much cheaper. It think it went for 20 bucks in a sale, maybe even less. I always get surprised when I load it and tweak it.
Don't get me wrong, Legend is a really great soft synth, one of the best, but it can only do so much, but does it so well.
Not really sure if you need both, especially as you say, it's quite pricey. I got it for such a small price so I never complain about it. Not that I would. I just find VK-2 a bit more engaging. But as you see and as always, you'll get a lot of different opinions. I'm curious on what you'll decide.

tx
M

ambi

07 Mar 2024

joeyluck wrote:
07 Mar 2024
I think there might also be a new, separate Hans Zimmer version on the way?
In mid or end of March apparently. But will there be a Rack Extension as well? I somehow doubt it.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
07 Mar 2024
Unpopular opinion here. I've never really liked VK-2. I know most people love it and probably for good reason. But I personally find it confusing to work with. Most synths I get the basics with. But I just don't click with VK-2. It's probably too advanced for me. I would be ok with that if I liked most of the included patches, but I don't unfortunately.
With Legend I love making my own patches. I find it very quick and intuitive. Everything is so accessible and easy to understand. Sounds great. Looks great. Great reverb. But my favorite parts are the filter section combined with the drive knob. It's so easy to get squelchy and thick sounds.
For me Legend and Europa are the only two synths I use on a regular basis. All other synths tends to vary.

I have a couple of songs where I've used Legend exclusively. Let me know if you want to hear them for demo purposes. I can post some links.
I think I know which songs you mean. I found them in another forum thread.
By the way, I love your chiptune songs. Especially Chip C and D. Best played on cheap mobile phone speakers. :D

I agree with you. I also find VK-2 a bit confusing to work with. The simple architecture of The Legend is probably better suited for me and also more fun. And yes, the drive knob was crazy good.
Chi-Individual wrote:
07 Mar 2024
Buy the RE and get the VST for free, in that order. I use it on almost every track for my bass sounds. And it’s a great FX with the delay and reverb and saturation. I find it easier to work with than VK2, IMO. Dialing in sounds is just simpler for how I work but there is a slight difference in the sounds. I can’t explain it, lack of the right vocab, but I like the sound of the Legend better and it’s super light on CPU.

Edit: I’d also just wait for a sale if you’re in no rush. The May Madness sale might happen this year like in previous years. I think they’re usually participants. And if you have rewards cash it’s in the rewards shop.
I also have the sound in good memory. It was one of the best sounding software synths I ever heard. Comparable to Diva I would say. Maybe even better.
Waiting for May Madness is a good idea. Im also curious about the HZ Legend synth, so I will just wait.

BRIGGS

07 Mar 2024

"Do I need The Legend?"

Nah, Thor does it for me.
r11s

DaveyG

07 Mar 2024

No, you don't need The Legend.
There. You are 100 squids richer.
You're welcome.

dvdrtldg

07 Mar 2024

I like VK-2 but it's been a hell of a learning curve, and even now I find it weirdly counterintuitive to program. But it's worth the effort, especially when venturing into the realm of experimental sounds, noise etc. The Legend really doesn't go there half as well

But when it comes to more conventional sounds, The Legend is just amazing, and joy to work with. Sure you probably don't "need" it but you definitely won't regret it if you buy

joeyluck

07 Mar 2024

ambi wrote:
07 Mar 2024
joeyluck wrote:
07 Mar 2024
I think there might also be a new, separate Hans Zimmer version on the way?
In mid or end of March apparently. But will there be a Rack Extension as well? I somehow doubt it.
Richard said that the RE would get released after the VST/AU
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p8819719

Kevin Schroeder who was a synth programmer along with Howard Scarr for Dune Part 2 posted a teaser video. Looks like sounds for Dune Part 2 were designed with ZebraHZ and "LegendHZ". I'm pretty excited about it :)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3_flR3tnNl/

I think it's awesome when there is such a strong focus on synthesis sound design in film and the commissioning to create synths specific for those projects is so cool.

On the topic of Legend in general, I think it's one of the best sounding analog emulations, while also being one of the most efficient, and the presets are fantastic. Clearly Hans Zimmer holds it in high regard and if Legend/LegendHZ is good enough for one of this biggest blockbuster films, I think it's safe to say that it's a pretty good synth. I'm looking forward to the features and sounds included with LegendHZ.

WaxTrax

07 Mar 2024

I was not aware of Synapse Audio offering free VST crossgrades. I have The Legend and Obsession. I emailed them this morning with a screenshot of my owned Synapse Audio REs and within a few hours they sent me serial numbers for the VST versions, no questions asked. Very cool!

ambi

08 Mar 2024

joeyluck wrote:
07 Mar 2024
ambi wrote:
07 Mar 2024

Richard said that the RE would get released after the VST/AU
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p8819719

Kevin Schroeder who was a synth programmer along with Howard Scarr for Dune Part 2 posted a teaser video. Looks like sounds for Dune Part 2 were designed with ZebraHZ and "LegendHZ". I'm pretty excited about it :)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3_flR3tnNl/

I think it's awesome when there is such a strong focus on synthesis sound design in film and the commissioning to create synths specific for those projects is so cool.

On the topic of Legend in general, I think it's one of the best sounding analog emulations, while also being one of the most efficient, and the presets are fantastic. Clearly Hans Zimmer holds it in high regard and if Legend/LegendHZ is good enough for one of this biggest blockbuster films, I think it's safe to say that it's a pretty good synth. I'm looking forward to the features and sounds included with LegendHZ.
Wow, that's amazing news!

WaxTrax wrote:
07 Mar 2024
I was not aware of Synapse Audio offering free VST crossgrades. I have The Legend and Obsession. I emailed them this morning with a screenshot of my owned Synapse Audio REs and within a few hours they sent me serial numbers for the VST versions, no questions asked. Very cool!
Nice to hear. :)

dvdrtldg wrote:
07 Mar 2024
I like VK-2 but it's been a hell of a learning curve, and even now I find it weirdly counterintuitive to program. But it's worth the effort, especially when venturing into the realm of experimental sounds, noise etc. The Legend really doesn't go there half as well

But when it comes to more conventional sounds, The Legend is just amazing, and joy to work with. Sure you probably don't "need" it but you definitely won't regret it if you buy
Mataya wrote:
07 Mar 2024
I like them both, but find my self using VK2 more often. I get in a more experimental mode with it. Not making classic basses or boring leads at all with it.Fming with it a lot and filters are great and few stages of saturation trough out makes it a beast.
Also VK1- Viking is different and if beefy is what you want, then you'll get it with VK1 and it's much cheaper. It think it went for 20 bucks in a sale, maybe even less. I always get surprised when I load it and tweak it.
Don't get me wrong, Legend is a really great soft synth, one of the best, but it can only do so much, but does it so well.
Not really sure if you need both, especially as you say, it's quite pricey. I got it for such a small price so I never complain about it. Not that I would. I just find VK-2 a bit more engaging. But as you see and as always, you'll get a lot of different opinions. I'm curious on what you'll decide.

tx
M
Thanks for your input.
Now that it seems to be confirmed that LegendHZ will be available as a Rack Extension I think my best option is to wait for it.
Or at least wait for Spring Breaks/May Madness. If there's a big discount on The Legend I may still buy it.

Thx @all. Your opinions, suggestions and information was very helpful.

Here's a LegendHZ preview picture:
https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5482929

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2024

BRIGGS wrote:
07 Mar 2024
"Do I need The Legend?"

Hahaha. Stop that now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BRIGGS

08 Mar 2024

MrFigg wrote:
08 Mar 2024
BRIGGS wrote:
07 Mar 2024
"Do I need The Legend?"

Hahaha. Stop that now.
ikr? :lol:
r11s

xbitz

08 Mar 2024

"also don't care for an accurate Mini Moog simulation"
I've seen it but nah, Legend was the winner of the

maybe can help to somebody else, who knows
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

ambi

08 Mar 2024

It's crazy how accurate The Legend sounds. Synapse Audio definitely know what they're doing.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2024

I spent the best part of two hours this morning uninstalling and de-authorizing plugins on my hard drive. Legend is still there. No more needs to be said.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

08 Mar 2024

MrFigg wrote:
08 Mar 2024
I spent the best part of two hours this morning uninstalling and de-authorizing plugins on my hard drive.
GAS detox? :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Mar 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
08 Mar 2024
MrFigg wrote:
08 Mar 2024
I spent the best part of two hours this morning uninstalling and de-authorizing plugins on my hard drive.
GAS detox? :lol:
To be honest, yeah. After decimating the plugin collection I got a wake up on how much stuff I have that I don't use. Whittled down to my favourites now.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

08 Mar 2024

Human needs: Water, food, shelter, clothes, love, being part of something bigger than yourself, L̶e̶g̶e̶n̶d̶.

I have both VK2 and Legend. I prefer VK2. Maybe because I've had it for so much longer than Legend? I don't know, but it's still one of my top synths all these years later. Legend is nice and all that, and some people do prefer it to VK2. But I'd say if you have one, you don't really need the other.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

kitekrazy

08 Mar 2024

No just no at that price. Wait till it like under $30. It's great synth if you are a preset junkie and don't want to work on getting that right saw synth sound.

joeyluck

09 Mar 2024

Chi-Individual wrote:
08 Mar 2024
I am just hearing now about the HZ version. I can’t wait to see how that one sounds.
Yeah should be pretty cool! Also kind of funny that Synapse has a synth called Dune and the synth used for the Dune movie was Legend lol
Or maybe the Dune synth was also used ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chi-Individual

09 Mar 2024

joeyluck wrote:
09 Mar 2024
Chi-Individual wrote:
08 Mar 2024
I am just hearing now about the HZ version. I can’t wait to see how that one sounds.
Yeah should be pretty cool! Also kind of funny that Synapse has a synth called Dune and the synth used for the Dune movie was Legend lol
Or maybe the Dune synth was also used ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That is wild. Dune used in Dune. I just hope the HZ RE version has a killer fx section to tap into like Obsession and The Legend.

• Information