Player Idea: Generative/Pendulum Note Player

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Steedus
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2024

Would it be possible to build something like these for a Player RE?

I love the idea of these to create a background pad/drone. But could also see these being used to generate some melody ideas if you set it up with your desired notes and "skip time" until the generation is playing different notes out of "sequence", once things start to un-synchronise. An unexpected pattern could shine through.

I think some ability to "skip time" in the generation would be needed, as some of these don't get interesting until they've been running for like 30+ mins.

Maybe one for Robotic Bean?

jam-s

04 Mar 2024

It would be possible to create some players that could generate the note sequences, but only with much less eye candy as the options for blur and such are quite limited in the RE custom display widget.

Steedus
Competition Winner

04 Mar 2024

jam-s wrote:
04 Mar 2024
It would be possible to create some players that could generate the note sequences, but only with much less eye candy as the options for blur and such are quite limited in the RE custom display widget.
Oh yeah doesn't need to be too fancy. Doesn't even need to use the actual "pendulum" layout. I've also seen these with just boxes/sliders that "bounce" left/right or up/down.

DaveyG

05 Mar 2024

I became aware of this yesterday. Might make an interesting RE:

https://marionietoworld.com/

Steedus
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2024

DaveyG wrote:
05 Mar 2024

Oh cool, thanks! Can't watch the video cause I'm at work, but from the GUI that looks like it's pretty much exactly what I was after! But, we can use MIDI VSTs in Reason can we?

DaveyG

05 Mar 2024

Steedus wrote:
05 Mar 2024
DaveyG wrote:
05 Mar 2024

Oh cool, thanks! Can't watch the video cause I'm at work, but from the GUI that looks like it's pretty much exactly what I was after! But, we can use MIDI VSTs in Reason can we?
Sadly, no we can't. At least, not directly (maybe RS will surprise us in the next release/version). There are various workarounds but none of them are very smooth.

Harmony Bloom does have a function to capture its own MIDI which you can then drag and drop. It also has a standalone mode where you could route it to Reason via a virtual MIDI port. I should stress I haven't tried the program yet. I just thought it looked interesting. I would try it if it had a demo...

Steedus
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2024

Thanks for all that. I had a look at some videos. It looks pretty interesting but all the notes are locked moving together so there’s no evolving Melodie’s or polyrhythms.

huggermugger

05 Mar 2024

There's a free Reaktor instrument called Spiral that works along these lines...

Steedus
Competition Winner

05 Mar 2024

Thanks, I'll check that out too.

• Information