Any creative multi-fx REs out there?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
cocoazenith

23 Feb 2024

Looking for something in the vein of Baby Audio x Andrew Huang's Transit...

I already made a Combinator 2 out of a Channel EQ, an Audiomatic, an Echo and a Reverb MK7000 but I'm not a big fan of the whole DYI thing and I'd rather use one solid RE than this self-made contraption.

Synchronous partially fits the bill but it lacks in the distortion department and its modulation area takes up too much space.

cocoazenith

23 Feb 2024

Thanks for these! Anoma looks really interesting. Also finally got around to reading Sadist's product
page properly and understanding its crazy interface.

In the meantime I also found this one. It seems to fit the bill perfectly, minus Audiomatic's magic:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -effector/

xbitz

23 Feb 2024

Kong also has audio in
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

cocoazenith

24 Feb 2024

Ok. So I've tried them all and none of them does the job properly in one solid and quickly automatable and routable package that doesn't take up half of the screen.

Some don't have reverb and delay, some have them but with very basic controls, some are missing the lo-fi/distorsion part...Kong is not an option. It takes up half of my screen, is a pain to expand the FX section and route it and lacks hall reverbs and proper distortion.

I guess I was acting spoiled and Combinator is the way to go as it does all of the above with flying colours.

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 11.23.28.png
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 11.23.28.png (276.77 KiB) Viewed 3148 times

xbitz

24 Feb 2024

If not RE, then the deeplink combinator presets can also be good starting points like the SerumFX one https://deeplink.gumroad.com/l/serumfx?layout=profile dynamic connection between them can be solved with the Graphical CV Router https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-router/

Mataya

24 Feb 2024

Don't forget https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ch-effect/

It also has 4 EXT send returns so you can build or expand with your FX devices and control them via this RE. I love it.

Also https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -splitter/ is capable of splitting audio trough amplitude bands instead of frequency, so you can build your multi fx chain where each device process audio depending on the level. Can get very creative.

M

cocoazenith

24 Feb 2024

xbitz wrote:
24 Feb 2024
If not RE, then the deeplink combinator presets can also be good starting points like the SerumFX one https://deeplink.gumroad.com/l/serumfx?layout=profile dynamic connection between them can be solved with the Graphical CV Router https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-router/
This guy sure is passionate about Combinators. Nice graphics. Sadly not what I am looking for.
Mataya wrote:
24 Feb 2024
Don't forget https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ch-effect/

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -splitter/ is capable of splitting audio trough amplitude bands instead of frequency, so you can build your multi fx chain where each device process audio depending on the level. Can get very creative.
They do seem to be pretty creative. No reverb/delay though. I remember trialing Ochen K.'s product. I'm avoiding using multiple products to achieve the result I want. I want just one good old RE. Maybe it's too much to ask.

cocoazenith

24 Feb 2024

Surprisingly Synchronous kinda answers my search, second only to a custom Combinator.

Just wished it had a better audio degradation/artifact engine. Apart from this I think that its Reverb, Delay and Filter are the same quality as RV7000, Echo and the mixer HPF and with enough controls for all of them. For example, compared to SKP's Multi-FX, Synchronous' reverb has 2 more knobs.

Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 17.06.17.png
Screenshot 2024-02-24 at 17.06.17.png (805.13 KiB) Viewed 3074 times

crimsonwarlock

24 Feb 2024

cocoazenith wrote:
24 Feb 2024
xbitz wrote:
24 Feb 2024
This guy sure is passionate about Combinators. Nice graphics. Sadly not what I am looking for.
Well, he also did this one:

You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7527649&p=602936
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

cocoazenith

24 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Feb 2024
You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7527649&p=602936
Looks cool. If only it were a RE.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2024

xbitz wrote:
23 Feb 2024
Kong also has audio in
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

24 Feb 2024

MrFigg wrote:
24 Feb 2024
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You didn't get the memo :o

-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

24 Feb 2024

cocoazenith wrote:
24 Feb 2024
Surprisingly Synchronous kinda answers my search, second only to a custom Combinator.
cocoazenith wrote:
24 Feb 2024
So you find an FX (Synchronous) that is like a RE and say it can be beat only by a custom combinator. But when you are pointed to such a combinator (and a beautiful one at that), you ask for it to be an RE :lol:

You just can't be pleased, right? :puf_bigsmile:
-------

cocoazenith

24 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Feb 2024
cocoazenith wrote:
24 Feb 2024
cocoazenith wrote:
24 Feb 2024
So you find an FX (Synchronous) that is like a RE and say it can be beat only by a custom combinator. But when you are pointed to such a combinator (and a beautiful one at that), you ask for it to be an RE :lol:

You just can't be pleased, right? :puf_bigsmile:
Pls read the second phrase of the first post

crimsonwarlock

24 Feb 2024

cocoazenith wrote:
24 Feb 2024
Pls read the second phrase of the first post
I did, and you said this:
cocoazenith wrote:
23 Feb 2024
... but I'm not a big fan of the whole DYI thing and I'd rather use one solid RE than this self-made contraption.
Which I took as "I don't want to put in the work to patch something useful myself" (not a big fan of DIY). Building combinators like the one from DeepLink is time-consuming, especially with custom graphics. However, Combi-2 devices are perfectly usable in the same way as you use a RE. It is specifically for this that RS lifted the limitation of not being able to use combinators in channel-inserts, which is now possible. This is also why there are so many combi-2 wrappers made for VST-plugins (several by myself) as you can now use VST-plugins exactly like REs. Therefore, I wouldn't call Combi-2 devices "contraptions" :puf_wink:
-------

cocoazenith

24 Feb 2024

crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Feb 2024
However, Combi-2 devices are perfectly usable in the same way as you use a RE
I confess I do have a bias against Combis, but it's mostly based on shallow ideations.
In my imagination combis are more frail than REs or VSTs, being built by us amateur users by
using Reason's dated stock devices, they have bigger latency and once I open and see how
many devices and settings are under the hood I get scared easily and so does my 13-inch
laptop screen :lol:

But of course none of the above is actually true and I know it sounds crazy but I'm having a
hard time getting past these mental projections. I'm not an OG Reason user, came here from other,
better DAWs (in most people's opinion) and always found Combis as a childish attempt
by Propellerheads to imitate Ableton's Racks by letting us adding, uuu, colors and buttons!

But maybe, slowly, I will eventually shed my prejudices and become a serious adopter. The combi
screenshot I posted earlier is the first time I'm using a combi as an effect, keeping it there
and not deleting it the after a few days because I find it over-crowds my rack (yes, I always end up
opening the device view of the combi to adjust stuff).

Cheers!

dvdrtldg

24 Feb 2024

cocoazenith wrote:
23 Feb 2024
finally got around to reading Sadist's product page properly and understanding its crazy interface
Sadist is so good. A bit pricey perhaps but worth picking up at the next sale

This one is a real gem too - took me a while to get to love it, because it seems to have very narrow sweet spots that vary depending on what you feed into it. Not one of those "fire it up, start turning knobs and it'll sound awesome" REs (for me anyway), but rewards close attention to detail and the routing is fun

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ouroboros/

Aosta

24 Feb 2024

Tend the flame

dvdrtldg

25 Feb 2024

Yep Filter Chain is excellent, like all Ekssperimental Sounds REs. Best RE developer since Lectric Panda imo

xbitz

25 Feb 2024

I actually need something like the lower part of the Expanse, the last version included the MSEGs which are really useful.
expanse.gif
expanse.gif (274.5 KiB) Viewed 2877 times
btw. Expanse also has dedicated effects-audio-in

thedjjudah

07 Mar 2024

cocoazenith wrote:
24 Feb 2024
I... always found Combis as a childish attempt
by Propellerheads to imitate Ableton's Racks by letting us adding, uuu, colors and buttons!
Reason had combinators before Ableton even existed. Combi v.2 came out with Reason 12, but the OG Combinator has been there since Reason 3.

cocoazenith

07 Mar 2024

thedjjudah wrote:
07 Mar 2024
cocoazenith wrote:
24 Feb 2024
I... always found Combis as a childish attempt
Reason had combinators before Ableton even existed. Combi v.2 came out with Reason 12, but the OG Combinator has been there since Reason 3.
Never bothered to research who did it first and I admit I just assumed Ableton did because it was implemented more naturally inside their already simple instrument/effect chain ecosystem that it just seemed a native idea.

moofi

07 Mar 2024

Once the Combinator is properly set up, I usually don´t feel the need for adjustment anymore because it is working the way intended, unless there is funtionality and/or displays beyond the Combininterface.
Though the Combinator is limited in comparison to the capabilities of an RE, with the risen number and also stylistic variety of knobs, sliders and switches, pretty complex stuff can already be built. Still I wished it would be possible to use more than 32 of each control-element and we had stepped controls as well (which I think they are working on) and exlusively active buttons . :-)
Since the 2.0 update I very much enjoy building interfaces and effects. Doing a lot of VST-Wrapping as well, mainly for integration of the otherwise merely via VST-window accessible plugins into the rack, yet as well for combining several plugins into one interface like here for example (five plugins combined). Guess it´s a bit big for your taste, yet demonstrates the principle quite well I feel:

Strip_Club.jpg
Strip_Club.jpg (357.11 KiB) Viewed 1620 times

cocoazenith wrote:
24 Feb 2024
crimsonwarlock wrote:
24 Feb 2024
However, Combi-2 devices are perfectly usable in the same way as you use a RE
I confess I do have a bias against Combis, but it's mostly based on shallow ideations.
In my imagination combis are more frail than REs or VSTs, being built by us amateur users by
using Reason's dated stock devices, they have bigger latency and once I open and see how
many devices and settings are under the hood I get scared easily and so does my 13-inch
laptop screen :lol:

But of course none of the above is actually true and I know it sounds crazy but I'm having a
hard time getting past these mental projections. I'm not an OG Reason user, came here from other,
better DAWs (in most people's opinion) and always found Combis as a childish attempt

But maybe, slowly, I will eventually shed my prejudices and become a serious adopter. The combi
screenshot I posted earlier is the first time I'm using a combi as an effect, keeping it there
and not deleting it the after a few days because I find it over-crowds my rack (yes, I always end up
opening the device view of the combi to adjust stuff).

Cheers!

• Information