Any hiss or noise reduction tools in reason?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
deigm

20 Feb 2024

Are there any hiss or noise reduction tools in reason?

I've been using ReaFIR but that doesn't seem to do hiss reduction if I don't have a section of just hiss to feed it first.
And aside from that, an RE solution would be better anyway :reason: :thumbs_up:

Cheers!

Edit:

Workaround for now is to export into Audacity and use their noise reduction tool. There must be something in the reason ecosystem though right?

Edit 2: Scratch that. Audacity needs a noise sample too. hmmm...

dvdrtldg

20 Feb 2024

deigm wrote:
20 Feb 2024

Workaround for now is to export into Audacity and use their noise reduction tool. There must be something in the reason ecosystem though right?
Nothing as far as I'm aware. There are REs you could use to lower the noise floor, but nothing that actually "denoises" in the way that (e.g.) iZotope RX does

deigm

21 Feb 2024

dvdrtldg wrote:
20 Feb 2024
deigm wrote:
20 Feb 2024

Nothing as far as I'm aware. There are REs you could use to lower the noise floor, but nothing that actually "denoises" in the way that (e.g.) iZotope RX does
You mean like expanders? Yeah I guess that explains why I've never come across any. Is it a SDK limitation or something? I'm a little surprised there is nothing.

antic604

21 Feb 2024

deigm wrote:
21 Feb 2024
dvdrtldg wrote:
20 Feb 2024

You mean like expanders? Yeah I guess that explains why I've never come across any. Is it a SDK limitation or something? I'm a little surprised there is nothing.
Expanders are basically more sophisticated noise gates, so they'll only "remove" the noise from the signal gaps.

There are some REs that do expansion - "DYN-4" and "Extreme Dynamics" come to mind. But they'll obviously bring down all signal below the threshold, not just the hiss or humm.

Maybe a de-esser or a regular EQ could improve things somewhat? Often a simple HP or LP filter can make a good enough difference.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

deigm

21 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
21 Feb 2024
deigm wrote:
21 Feb 2024

Expanders are basically more sophisticated noise gates, so they'll only "remove" the noise from the signal gaps.

There are some REs that do expansion - "DYN-4" and "Extreme Dynamics" come to mind. But they'll obviously bring down all signal below the threshold, not just the hiss or humm.

Maybe a de-esser or a regular EQ could improve things somewhat? Often a simple HP or LP filter can make a good enough difference.
I ended up getting OK results with ReaFIR by feeding it a generic hiss noise to analyze then applying that to the audio I wanted to de-hiss. Not perfect but it worked better than I expected it too once I found the right hiss sample.

madwurmz

24 Feb 2024

yeah, some de-noise rack would be cool!
I never heard of ReaFIR but I use a couple of other VSTs for this, but some mainly meant for vocals.

There is also a new plugin for Audacity, using ai to remove noise, no noise sample needed:
https://www.audacityteam.org/blog/openvino-ai-effects/

my guess is, this is in development for Reason, coming from the new opertunities ai is giving.
Although it doesn't need ai, FruityLoops has FL Limiter that simply removes noise too.
madwurmz from planet verbs

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2024

Not an RE but for noise reduction I'd absolutely recommend Klevgrand Brusfri. I use a lot of amp sims and this takes out all the hiss and buzz direct.
https://klevgrand.com/products/brusfri
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

jam-s

24 Feb 2024

The best kind of noise removal is usually done via an offline process where the tool can analyse the whole file to generate a (dynamic) noise profile. This cannot be done just as good in a live process (like in an RE).

DaveyG

24 Feb 2024

iZotope RX10

selig
RE Developer

24 Feb 2024

jam-s wrote:
24 Feb 2024
The best kind of noise removal is usually done via an offline process where the tool can analyse the whole file to generate a (dynamic) noise profile. This cannot be done just as good in a live process (like in an RE).
Came here to say the same, you can have it quick or high quality, pick one!
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information