Rebirth Emulation

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
OverneathTheSkyBridg

13 Feb 2024

Hey,

I wonder if it would be possible for one of the RE developers to clone Rebirth? Maybe someone could go full Behringer and make a somewhat identical product, name it "Afterbirth" or something less horrific. Thought I'd throw the idea out there!

Mataya

14 Feb 2024

Would be great. Also with sample loading in drum machines. Compatible with old .rbs files and individual out's for drums. Also, audio in for going trough FPC. :)

:thumbs_up:

M

Jackjackdaw

14 Feb 2024

I’m sure ‘horrific’ is the wrong adjective there.

jam-s

14 Feb 2024

There's really no need for this, as you can get the 808 and 909 via Redrum (or even more specific REs) and the 303s via ABL3 RE. The PCF and the distortion are there as half rack modules. Just wire them up like in Rebirth and put it all in combinator to keep things organised.

dmitrijsorokin

14 Feb 2024

There are combinators that emulate Rebirth well through standard Reason devices.
At the same time, you are not limited in the management or number of devices.

303.gif
303.gif (314.96 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

WaxTrax

14 Feb 2024

One thing I miss most from ReBirth is all the pre-programmed patterns ready to go with a click of the mouse. It made it great for just diving in and making some noise for a few minutes and made it a very fun experience.

antic604

14 Feb 2024

I'd love to see ReBirth as a RE. Sure, there's combi patches available that replicate the devices and one can pretty easily build them from scratch, but there's something to be said to have it as a one, integrated, coherent, immediate device with pattern track support!

Anyone know WHY they had to abandon it?

There's so many 303, 808 and 909 clones out there - both plugins and hardware - so surely it's not a legal matter with Roland? Maybe it was 20 years ago, but shouldn't be one anymore, right? I think there even was (is?) an iOS app, right?

I'm pretty sure a ReBirth RE would sell lots of R+ licenses (and individual RE sales to perpetual license holders) :rebirth:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

DaveyG

14 Feb 2024

Yeah, it was legal pressure from Roland. Shame.

Mataya

14 Feb 2024

Of course I could put two ABL's and quadelectra's Jackbox 808 an 909 and add additional Redrum's for different samples and alligator for stepped filters and a delay and and and...

Of course I can make my own buns and get a recipe from the internet for that secret sauce and get an organic lettuce and real cheese, but man sometimes you just want a Big Mac.

I would buy a resizable ReBirth with jacks on the back, right away.

M

buddard
RE Developer

16 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
14 Feb 2024
Official statement here: https://www.reasonstudios.com/rebirth
We have decided to discontinue ReBirth for iPad.

The decision comes after a statement from Roland that the product infringes on the company’s intellectual property rights. Rather than refuting this claim, we have decided to honor our long-standing relationship with Roland Corporation and have, therefore, come to the conclusion that the best path forward is to discontinue the product.

antic604

16 Feb 2024

buddard wrote:
16 Feb 2024
antic604 wrote:
14 Feb 2024
We have decided to discontinue ReBirth for iPad.

The decision comes after a statement from Roland that the product infringes on the company’s intellectual property rights. Rather than refuting this claim, we have decided to honor our long-standing relationship with Roland Corporation and have, therefore, come to the conclusion that the best path forward is to discontinue the product.
Thanks! Wish they reviewed it, ported the ReBirth to Rack Extension and split the profits :)

I'd definitely buy it, especially if it was priced ~$99
Music tech enthusiast.

buddard
RE Developer

16 Feb 2024

antic604 wrote:
16 Feb 2024
buddard wrote:
16 Feb 2024

Thanks! Wish they reviewed it, ported the ReBirth to Rack Extension and split the profits :)

Roland have been busy with their own revivals, both with hardware and software, so I guess they were not very interested in a collaboration like that....

antic604

16 Feb 2024

buddard wrote:
16 Feb 2024
antic604 wrote:
16 Feb 2024

Roland have been busy with their own revivals, both with hardware and software, so I guess they were not very interested in a collaboration like that....
Maybe. In the meantime d16 Group updated their Phoscyon (303), Drumazon (909) and Nepheton (808) in the last 9 months, Audiorealism updated the audio engine and added new GUI to the ABL3 in tail end of 2022 , Behringer keeps releasing their hardware knock-offs...

Roland wouldn't have to do anything, just agree and take the money.

The updated code is already there, high-res assets as well. I mean, didn't Propellerhead released iOS version of ReBirth not too long ago? :)

Music tech enthusiast.

joeyluck

16 Feb 2024

Rebirth on iPad was released in 2010, 14 years ago :) iPhone version removed in 2013, iPad version removed in 2017.

I would stick with ABL3 and other plugins.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2024

joeyluck wrote:
16 Feb 2024
Rebirth on iPad was released in 2010, 14 years ago :) iPhone version removed in 2013, iPad version removed in 2017.

I was sad when my iPhone phone version disappeared.
What’s the deal with the Apple Store if you’ve bought something and then they remove it so you can’t download it?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

joeyluck

16 Feb 2024

MrFigg wrote:
16 Feb 2024
joeyluck wrote:
16 Feb 2024

What’s the deal with the Apple Store if you’ve bought something and then they remove it so you can’t download it?
Yeah I believe that's the case. You can keep it installed and not update your device, but you can't redownload something if it has been removed from the shop. In the end, it makes little difference since an app eventually won't be compatible with newer OS versions unless it is updated. While Android allows removed apps to still be downloaded, it also suffers from the same incompatibility issue with outdated apps. I use an iPad and an Android phone and I have purchases on both that I can no longer use.

Trefor

16 Feb 2024

I have a refill from 2005 called 'ReBirth RB-338 ReFill.rfl' which has a load of Combis along with the original Rebirth sounds and patterns. I'm not sure who put it together but it's really good.

challism

17 Feb 2024

Jackjackdaw wrote:
14 Feb 2024
I’m sure ‘horrific’ is the wrong adjective there.
How so? Should it be spelled with a W instead?
joeyluck wrote:
16 Feb 2024
MrFigg wrote:
16 Feb 2024

Yeah I believe that's the case. You can keep it installed and not update your device, but you can't redownload something if it has been removed from the shop. In the end, it makes little difference since an app eventually won't be compatible with newer OS versions unless it is updated. While Android allows removed apps to still be downloaded, it also suffers from the same incompatibility issue with outdated apps. I use an iPad and an Android phone and I have purchases on both that I can no longer use.
Wow! That's totally scandalous. This makes me hate Apple even more than I did before. What a terrible company they have turned into without Steve Jobs.

Anyway, yeah, it's too bad RS never created a Rebirth RE. I'll be they would have sold a ton of licenses.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

joeyluck

18 Feb 2024

challism wrote:
17 Feb 2024
Wow! That's totally scandalous. This makes me hate Apple even more than I did before. What a terrible company they have turned into without Steve Jobs.
Actually I might be wrong about that. You'll have to ask someone who is on a compatible OS with an app removed from the shop. The only apps I don't have access to are discontinued apps that are no longer compatible on newer OS. Maybe what I read is about apps that are in violation.

michael.jaye

18 Feb 2024

Trefor wrote:
16 Feb 2024
I have a refill from 2005 called 'ReBirth RB-338 ReFill.rfl' which has a load of Combis along with the original Rebirth sounds and patterns. I'm not sure who put it together but it's really good.
This is still my go-to for 808 & 909 sounds.

dmitrijsorokin

18 Feb 2024

Trefor wrote:
16 Feb 2024
Publisher: Propellerhead Software

Description: To fill the gap left by the now discontinued ReBirth application, Propellerhead Software presents the ReBirth ReFill! A 100 mb monster ReFill that not only recreates the drum sounds of the original application, but also of all of the Mods that were available on the Propellerhead website. For more information about ReBirth, please visit www.rebirthmuseum.com

But this refill contains only drums. For bass I would recommend these two refills:

RB-303 Refill by peff
TB-303 Emulator cmb by Odarmonix

Above I have already shown a refill that contains both bass 303 and drums 808/809:

Analog Groove Boxes ReFill by Phuturetone.

Trefor

18 Feb 2024

Description: To fill the gap left by the now discontinued ReBirth application, Propellerhead Software presents the ReBirth ReFill! A 100 mb monster ReFill that not only recreates the drum sounds of the original application, but also of all of the Mods that were available on the Propellerhead website. For more information about ReBirth, please visit www.rebirthmuseum.com

But this refill contains only drums. For bass I would recommend these two refills:

RB-303 Refill by peff
TB-303 Emulator cmb by Odarmonix

Above I have already shown a refill that contains both bass 303 and drums 808/809:

Thank you, yes, I should have mentioned the peff refills. Do you have a link for the ones that you posted a pic of?

dmitrijsorokin

19 Feb 2024

Trefor wrote:
18 Feb 2024

Thank you, yes, I should have mentioned the peff refills. Do you have a link for the ones that you posted a pic of?
https://phuturetone.com/shop/p/analog-groove-boxes

PS: Their other refill is for the complete collection https://phuturetone.com/shop/p/reason-synths

Trefor

19 Feb 2024

Thanks for that. I just checked and have realised that I already have both Refills. I should probably try using them :-)

MirrorEyEs

19 Feb 2024

The E-Note Silverbox combinator is similar, don't know if it's the same person?!? Although some of the settings are way off! With modification you have got a modern phat 303 sound from Thor albeit with modified envelopes. Add Scream 4 distortion and the wonderful (for bass) E Type cab sim, Valhalla Supermassive to finish and boom it goes from 80's to 2020's.

This is the acid influenced track I've always wanted to emulate. Although it 's not an Acid or Techno track, It tears the fucking roof off!

Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

• Information