Do you get a lot of use out of the Reason players?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
huggermugger

30 Jan 2024

mimidancer wrote:
29 Jan 2024
My favorite player is Sequences. I wish it had a CV in that would change the step length. I also wish you could do 128 steps, but you can cheat that by automating the pattern change. All and all I wish all players had more CV IOs.
I'm not sure what you mean by step length, but if you put Sequences into a Combinator you can use CV to control both Pattern length and Note Length.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 8.56.42 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 8.56.42 AM.png (626.78 KiB) Viewed 665 times

mimidancer

30 Jan 2024

huggermugger wrote:
30 Jan 2024
mimidancer wrote:
29 Jan 2024
My favorite player is Sequences. I wish it had a CV in that would change the step length. I also wish you could do 128 steps, but you can cheat that by automating the pattern change. All and all I wish all players had more CV IOs.
I'm not sure what you mean by step length, but if you put Sequences into a Combinator you can use CV to control both Pattern length and Note Length.
I have used it like that before, unfortunately, I generally use my players above the combinator. So that does not work for me. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate how helpful the users of this group are. Be well.

w1pl0c

30 Jan 2024

okay, didnt really touch the bassline generator much til last week, but feeding chords into a combi, then throwing a bunch of instruments in the combi with individual bassline generators on it, and setting them to key mode.... different x/y patterns on each can deliver pretty cool grooves.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

30 Jan 2024

As far as players go, the two that has gotten the most use for me are Beatmap and Evolution. But I typically only use what they give me as a starting point and then I tweak, make variations and turn it into my own thing.

MirrorEyEs

01 Feb 2024

WOO wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:49 am
selig wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:15 am

I love beat map feeding Dr OctaRex, with two Pulsar LFOs controlling the X and Y position respectively. set the LFOs to tempo sync and different “odd” resolutions, reduce the length of the slices and filter out the lows to create percolating percussive backdrops that add movement to beats. Add a little LFO panning in Dr OctaRex, and maybe some phaser/flanger slow sweeping effects plus 3/16th panning delays and things can get very interesting even with the most generic loops as source material!
Could you show in a screen shot how you set this up? Thanks
This was a recent project, which played over a drum groove/solo for a friends film where we needed to support on screen "chaos". I used two complete chains, one panned left the other panned right to create the ever moving pattern, then did a live drum take on top of that.
I also used the LFO/Filter in Dr OctaRex to give further movement. The Pulsar settings were 5/4 and 7/4 (tempo synced), and the Dr OctaRex LFO was at 3/4 (all odd numbers to create a longer overall pattern length).
If you want visual feedback of the X/Y modulation, put BeatMap in a Combinator and route the LFO CVs to the Combinator and in the Programmer route them to the X and Y parameter – now you can watch the movement across the X/Y grid which if nothing else is entertaining IMO! ;)

It's a fun way of repurposing loops. Surprised no one has done a video tutorial of it yet! It's the one thing I really like about players, bar the usability hurdles I have spoke about in other threads.

Anyway as the gate trigger is so short, it's handy to use Autolatch or adjust the octo rex envelope settings, otherwise it doesn't play slices fully!

I also like to split the functions. So some kind of drum sequencer doing kick and snare, with Beatmap doing hats and percs!
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

mcatalao
Competition Winner

07 Feb 2024

Man, i have so many players and i almost don't use them.
I actually should explore them more because I'm passing trhought a dry musical period and i do believe if i let them they might help with my writer's block.

Anyway, i think my favorite player is Delta. It's a really interesting approach to a device, and it can do a lot. If you're a Digital systems geek that likes to tweak stuff and like the aspect of a circuit board Delta has brings a bit of the feel from my old college IC classes (computer arquitecture, digital systems, and so on).

huggermugger

07 Feb 2024

mcatalao wrote:
07 Feb 2024
Anyway, i think my favorite player is Delta. It's a really interesting approach to a device, and it can do a lot. If you're a Digital systems geek that likes to tweak stuff and like the aspect of a circuit board Delta has brings a bit of the feel from my old college IC classes (computer arquitecture, digital systems, and so on).
Delta is such a useful tool. And it's surprising how many musical effects presets there are, and how many presets in general.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 4.51.55 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 4.51.55 PM.png (427.19 KiB) Viewed 275 times

challism

07 Feb 2024

mcatalao wrote:
07 Feb 2024
Man, i have so many players and i almost don't use them.
I actually should explore them more because I'm passing trhought a dry musical period and i do believe if i let them they might help with my writer's block.

Players can absolutely help you through a spell of writer's block. I challenge you to start using the Players you have. I have so much fun stacking them and routing them (via MIDI CV Conv). I agree with your feelings about Delta. It is such a powerful tool.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mcatalao
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2024

challism wrote:
07 Feb 2024
Players can absolutely help you through a spell of writer's block. I challenge you to start using the Players you have. I have so much fun stacking them and routing them (via MIDI CV Conv). I agree with your feelings about Delta. It is such a powerful tool.
On thing that has helped me a bit is the Chord Sequencer to "fly away" a bit from my general type of progression (i do a lot of stuff in minor jazzy progressions, and major stuff, so it helps make things more jazzy).

But while in the begginning i looked at them with a more "toyish" look, i have to say, Delta, Chord Sequencer and some of the more exquisite arpeggiators are growing into me.

I still think the best is to use my own hands. But a clever use of Players, even for live playing like making a rotator with Delta and improv over it with my ewi and something more or less generative in beat map, is super fun also.

• Information