Best way to send CV/Gate to my hardware synths through Reason?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gkillmaster

25 Jan 2024

I have a new Audient ID14 MkII interface (so far loving it). I have 2 dc coupled outputs I can use and want to send CV/Gate out through it. I was looking at a couple rack extensions, EXP1 Expression Processor and Expert Sleepers Silent Way Voice Controller. My questions are:

1) how do I actually set it up to send the signal to my ID14?
2) Would either of the above rack extensions help? If so, which one should I get?

Thanks very much for any advice on this,

Greg

selig
RE Developer

25 Jan 2024

Of those, the Expert Sleepers is the only one to convert MIDI/CV in Reason to audio signals for your interface.
I don’t have experience with this device since my SL mkIII converts two full channels of CV/Gate/Mod plus clock built in.

Maybe others could chime in, the Expert Sleepers RE page for Silent Way speaks of “others to join it soon” - but it was released over 10 years ago with no updates and no further products from Expert Sleepers FWIW…
Selig Audio, LLC

dioxide

25 Jan 2024

The RPG8 can act as a MIDI CV convertor and Robotic Bean do some Audio to CV utilities.

turn2on
RE Developer

25 Jan 2024

Robotic Bean CV-O
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -to-audio/

ES RE have a bug (velocity not work), that not fixed in years. When I ask about this they recommend to use their VST.
Also they have Silent Way as VCV Rack module.
For me, when I search solution to send signal to cv of modular, I find that more easy & cheaper build USB/CV converter.
One perfect example of DIY usb/cv converter 2gate,2cv - is Mutable CVPal. Just enough to buy cheap PCB + panel and few jacks, and some parts to build this converter and use it in modular rack, or set in the box. CVPal support some selectable modes where you can use its ports also with various signal types variations, also as DCO or LFO.

So, as I remember also find Arduino DIY converters USB/CV. This variant more interesting if you make the box, easy to attach any needed knobs, sliders and buttons, that make from converter, also midi controller.

Using DC coupled outputs is not stable solution, and better option you can have in modular is ES series interface modules.
Using midi out from reason is more stable than if you use audio-cv converter.

If you interesting in ES Silent way - trial before buy it for test how it work in your setup. Or maybe you already have VCV rack, try this module.

As end of task - work with modular CV inputs. Any of this described variants work.
If talk about Mutable CVPal - it perfectly work under mac. But under windows, this usb converter have latency
Last edited by turn2on on 25 Jan 2024, edited 3 times in total.

gkillmaster

25 Jan 2024

turn2on wrote:
25 Jan 2024
https://github.com/elkayem/midi2cv
If you have midi 5din out from interface
Thanks for all the information and ideas! Looking into it.

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2024

i've been patching cv into midi #cc instead using reasons midi out instrument otherwise i would be using RBeans CV-O. i'd read the Audient manual to confirm which cables and sockets to use (my interface manual recommends balanced cables) and i think in Reason you'll have to route the signal to those sockets in the AudioI/O unit at the top of the rack
- Certified Reason expert

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2024

oh and i think EXP1 is only for recieving performance data and converting that to cv to use within reason

gkillmaster

25 Jan 2024

Bes wrote:
25 Jan 2024
i've been patching cv into midi #cc instead using reasons midi out instrument otherwise i would be using RBeans CV-O. i'd read the Audient manual to confirm which cables and sockets to use (my interface manual recommends balanced cables) and i think in Reason you'll have to route the signal to those sockets in the AudioI/O unit at the top of the rack
Thanks! The manual doesn't mention which cables to use for CV. Just says use TRS cables for the outputs. Someone on another forum said I should use a 1/4" TRS breakout cable so I can send out the CV signal and it's inversion. But this is all new to me so not 100% sure which cable I really need.

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Jan 2024

yeah just follow the manual i reckon, those are the folks that know. if you are interested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

but basically a standard instrument TS 'tip sleeve" cable has one signal wire shielded inside one ground wire
a standard TRS cable has 2 signal wires shielded inside a ground wire so any difference at the receiving end can be negated out which is why they are considered balanced

DJMaytag

11 Mar 2024

Robotic Bean CV-I/CV-O combo is a highly useful package to have, but ultimately you're going to need the Silent Way VST suite. I'm not sure how much it costs if you don't have any Expert Sleepers hardware to unlock it, but I believe a few of the VST's in the suite are usable without paying and/or having the ES hardware. The others time out after a certain period of time, IIRC.

FWIW, I have a huge ES setup, with their ES-3, ES-5, and 2x ESX-8CV, 2x ESX-GT, and an ESX-8MD. It's pretty sweet to use with a large modular and analog synth/drum machine studio.

Faastwalker

12 Mar 2024

I use an Expert Sleepers ES-3 and the Robotic Bean CV-O RE. Outputting via ADAT on a Focusrite 18i20 interface. You can output audio or CV to the ES-3 over ADAT. Works a treat and just works. Very little set-up beyond selecting your output channels in Reason and your audio interface control panel. Set and forget :thumbup:

• Information