Do RE creators set sale prices?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Chi-Individual

12 Jan 2024

Korg is currently running a sale but not on the REs so I messaged support to see if they will have a sale and these are the responses I received.

Me:
“Hello, I would like to know when your Korg Rack extensions will be on sale as they are not included in your holiday sale?”

Korg:
“Thank you for contacting Korg USA Product Support.

The Polysix Rack Extension is a Reason Studios product and not a Korg product.
You will need to reach out to Reason Studios to find out about pricing information for Polysix Rack Extension.

Thank you and best regards,
KORG USA Inc.”

Me:
“Reason Studios always states we should reach out to you all because sales are decided by the company not Reason Studios.”

Korg:

“Korg USA does not receive any news when software for Reason Studios goes on sale. This software is handled differently than the software that is sold directly by Korg which is the Korg Collection 4 software.

KORG USA Inc”

Is this correct? I remember in the past I inquired about a RE sale and was told to contact the developer, which at the time was the correct action then cause I got my answer. Now I’m being told to ask if RS is going to put a Korg product on sale. Just seems weird.

buddard
RE Developer

12 Jan 2024

Yes, RE developers set their own prices and sales.

Billy+

12 Jan 2024

that's interesting,

if the korg re's are reason studio products why are they not included in the + bundle :oops:

Chi-Individual

12 Jan 2024

Billy+ wrote:
12 Jan 2024
that's interesting,

if the korg re's are reason studio products why are they not included in the + bundle :oops:
I think I got someone who just doesn’t know what they’re talking about. This person may not even be familiar with the RE format.

Loque

12 Jan 2024

Guess, this is some kind of co-operation mystery and today nobody can remember, who gets the money...

Easy solution IMO. Make the RE free and all money earned in the past can be transered to me :-)
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

12 Jan 2024

This seems to happen with some of the "big name" devs who have had REs. Same back and forth situation happened with Cakewalk and Antares, saying they don't manage the RE products or set sale prices. After years and persistence every sale, they seemed to figure it out...

Just reply to Korg and tell them what Reason Studios said. Then when Korg still says they don't manage the products, tell Reason Studios again. Eventually maybe one of them will message the other on the hotline to get things straightened out hehe

Chi-Individual

12 Jan 2024

Confirmed. The rep didn’t know what they were talking about. They must’ve asked someone else. Because this should’ve been the first and only answer given.

ME:
“So what you are saying is when the Polysix and Monopoly rack extensions go “on sale” Korg never sets the sale price. It’s up to Reason Studios to place your product on sale and set the price? Am I understanding you correctly”

KORG:
“Korg USA is a distributor and is responsible only for the USA market.

If you wish, you can reach out to the parent company, Korg Inc who is located in Japan. Please find their contact information below.
https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/profile/

KORG USA Inc.”

PhillipOrdonez

12 Jan 2024

Well their name being “Korg USA” should have been the first clue, my dude.

Chi-Individual

12 Jan 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Jan 2024
That’s the only contact available from the site from what I found. Even the link that the rep provided doesn’t have an option to write in to HQ where he states they would handle this. So if you have a better contact method by all means feel free to post it since it’s so obvious.

DaveyG

13 Jan 2024

Chi-Individual wrote:
12 Jan 2024
Confirmed. The rep didn’t know what they were talking about. They must’ve asked someone else. Because this should’ve been the first and only answer given.

ME:
“So what you are saying is when the Polysix and Monopoly rack extensions go “on sale” Korg never sets the sale price. It’s up to Reason Studios to place your product on sale and set the price? Am I understanding you correctly”

KORG:
“Korg USA is a distributor and is responsible only for the USA market.

If you wish, you can reach out to the parent company, Korg Inc who is located in Japan. Please find their contact information below.
https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/profile/

KORG USA Inc.”
I'm pretty sure you were talking to a human but it might as well have been one of those DumbBots that are becoming ever more prevalent in support communications. I often wonder what those people are like in real life.

Neo

13 Jan 2024

Definitely one of my fave REs
-
korg_mopopol6_bro81_23.jpg
korg_mopopol6_bro81_23.jpg (662.96 KiB) Viewed 49532 times
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

Chi-Individual

13 Jan 2024

DaveyG wrote:
13 Jan 2024

I'm pretty sure you were talking to a human but it might as well have been one of those DumbBots that are becoming ever more prevalent in support communications. I often wonder what those people are like in real life.
Just from reading the responses you can tell it’s just a generic script they use when they don’t have the answers. So still a bot basically.

PhillipOrdonez

13 Jan 2024

Chi-Individual wrote:
12 Jan 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
12 Jan 2024
That’s the only contact available from the site from what I found. Even the link that the rep provided doesn’t have an option to write in to HQ where he states they would handle this. So if you have a better contact method by all means feel free to post it since it’s so obvious.
Here you go. Use Google translate to pick the right option as there seem to be two email options:

https://www.korg.com/jp/support/

Chi-Individual

13 Jan 2024

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
13 Jan 2024

Here you go. Use Google translate to pick the right option as there seem to be two email options:

After using google translate like you suggested I saw this. I sent an email to see how they’d respond. But if they refer me back to Korg USA then I’m back to square one.

“The services and all information on the Korg website are intended for customers living in Japan. If you live abroad, please contact the distributor in your country.
KORG Inc. provide information and service on this website are for our domestic customers. In case that you live in outside of Japan and have inquiries, please contact distributors in your country.”

Jackjackdaw

13 Jan 2024

I would guess that the Korg Re.s are effectively abandonware and person at Korg who set them up probably left years ago and no-one else has a clue.

PhillipOrdonez

13 Jan 2024

Chi-Individual wrote:
13 Jan 2024
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
13 Jan 2024

After using google translate like you suggested I saw this. I sent an email to see how they’d respond. But if they refer me back to Korg USA then I’m back to square one.

“The services and all information on the Korg website are intended for customers living in Japan. If you live abroad, please contact the distributor in your country.
KORG Inc. provide information and service on this website are for our domestic customers. In case that you live in outside of Japan and have inquiries, please contact distributors in your country.”
Chirp about it in social media and hopefully somebody figures out internally who’s in charge in the rack extension department at the company.

There’s a phone and fax number for corporate, would they know? You want that number?

Chi-Individual

13 Jan 2024

Jackjackdaw wrote:
13 Jan 2024
I would guess that the Korg Re.s are effectively abandonware and person at Korg who set them up probably left years ago and no-one else has a clue.
I’m starting to feel that way too. Softube REs were in the shop for a couple years without a sale IIRC before just disappearing from the shop. Now they both, Monopoly and Polysix, must be simply legacy products that they haven’t gotten around to discontinuing.

Steedus
Competition Winner

14 Jan 2024

Unfortunately in a situation like this, pointing these products out to the company could likely have them removed, as they probably "forgot" they were even there and don't want to worry about having to provide support for them.

Baylo

14 Jan 2024

My very vague recollection is that the Korg REs were pretty much part of the launch of the RE platform. I imagine that the Props persuaded Korg to invest a small amount of time and effort to do a thing that might then become another sales channel for them. My assumption is that Korg made a commercial decision based on that early experiment to not pursue it further and, instead, focus on their VST ecosystem that they could control themselves. And so, yes, effectively abandonware. My guess is that the REs are notionally assigned to someone at Korg who, at this point in the history of the product, doesn’t even realize that they’re responsible.

All supposition on my part, but it seems to fit a pattern seen a couple of times.

joeyluck

14 Jan 2024

Steedus wrote:
14 Jan 2024
Unfortunately in a situation like this, pointing these products out to the company could likely have them removed, as they probably "forgot" they were even there and don't want to worry about having to provide support for them.
Well it's worth mentioning that the REs are still listed on the Korg site and the pages for them had been updated to reflect the change from Propellerhead to Reason Studios, along with the correct shop links.

Also perhaps worth mentioning is that Reason Studios has a device in Korg Gadget called Stockholm (Dr. Octo Rex) so they each have devices in the each other's apps.

I don't see Korg removing the REs for these reasons and because the REs are versions of legacy emulations. They might update the VSTs, but probably just for compatibility. The RE format has that covered. Might make more sense for a dev to remove a flagship product that receives new features over time.

That's just the way I see it.

crimsonwarlock

15 Jan 2024

The Korg REs still go on sale from time to time, sometimes not even in sync with some sale event like black Friday. So, someone is still deciding on those sales.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DaveyG

15 Jan 2024

I think the OP just didn't manage to get through the first line of defence of generic support where their objective always seems to be to reply blandly and then close the ticket. It's a very common thing these days. I'm sure someone at Korg knows lots about the REs.

Chi-Individual

15 Jan 2024

DaveyG wrote:
15 Jan 2024
I think the OP just didn't manage to get through the first line of defence of generic support where their objective always seems to be to reply blandly and then close the ticket. It's a very common thing these days. I'm sure someone at Korg knows lots about the REs.
That’s exactly what’s happening. Now my question is being passed back to Korg USA since I don’t live in Japan. So whoever thought that contacting Korg USA was my issue to begin with, your move.

“Dear Sir or Madam,

The information and services provided by KORG Inc. on this website are intended only for customers in Japan. For inquiries from customers residing outside of Japan, please contact our distributors in your country.
https://www.korg.com/jp/corporate/distributors/

With Best Regards,
KORG Inc.”

Jackjackdaw

15 Jan 2024

Maybe the gatekeepers just don’t think a request involving trying to pay less for their devices is worth passing up the chain.

Tinnitus

15 Jan 2024

Neo wrote:
13 Jan 2024
Definitely one of my fave REs
-
korg_mopopol6_bro81_23.jpg
Love the polysix RE. Bought it after sold my actual polysix. I'm not pro, so don't regret either transaction, despite the old adage of " never sell your synths".

• Information