Bassline Generator Opinions

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Jackjackdaw

26 Dec 2023

Looking at BLG in the sale. Just got the trial but might not have much time to check it out as I’m spending family time. Thinking I might use it with my Volca Bass . How flexible do people find it? Swiss Army knife or one trick pony?

Aosta

26 Dec 2023

Extremely useful groove generator and not only to be used on baselines.
These days I use it more as a melody creator than a baseline generator.
worth the purchase for me :thumbup:
Tend the flame

DaveyG

26 Dec 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
26 Dec 2023
Swiss Army knife or one trick pony?
Somewhere in between for me. I love players and this is probably mid-table. Not the best, but far from the worst. I often use it for roughing out a song but then it usually either gets heavily edited or replaced for the final version. So my summary would be: useful but not essential.

crimsonwarlock

26 Dec 2023

I'm with DaveyG on this one. On its own, it's not blowing me away. However, BLG makes a strong combination with Pattern Mutator. I use BLG to find a first groove for a track, then create several variations on the base theme with Mutator. Works great.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Chi-Individual

26 Dec 2023

Paired with monotone it’s great for getting some melody ideas when the octave is set higher for more plucks and arp(C3 and higher) and like Crimsonwarlock stated, paired with Pattern Mutator you have a ton of possibilities. So it has great value but I would replace any other players with it to have it by itself.

joeyluck

26 Dec 2023

It's another player than pairs well with Mimic/Dr. Octo Rex to achieve similar results as the XLN Life VST, as showcased here by Ryan (around 6:06):

That said, I think many players like Pattern Mutator, BeatMap, Life by Retouch Control, etc are all fun and work well in that context, but you might get some different results you like from Baseline Generator.

BRIGGS

26 Dec 2023

For me, BLG was a vital lesson on how important 'off beat' aka 'surprise' notes, are.

It changed my workflow, even when NOT using it. : )
r11s

PhillipOrdonez

26 Dec 2023

I love having it. Don’t use it often but when I do, it delivers the funky goodness 👍

jam-s

26 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote:
26 Dec 2023
It's another player than pairs well with Mimic/Dr. Octo Rex to achieve similar results as the XLN Life VST, as showcased here by Ryan (around 6:06):

That said, I think many players like Pattern Mutator, BeatMap, Life by Retouch Control, etc are all fun and work well in that context, but you might get some different results you like from Baseline Generator.
Hey, that's nice. If @ryanharlin could kindly share the combinators from this video (especially the fun skrächr combinator at 7:10) that would be great:
ryanharlin wrote:

huggermugger

26 Dec 2023

I enjoy using BLG. I usually start by playing with the coordinates until I find an interesting starting point. Then I tweak individual notes and variables to fit what I'm hearing. I often find I that want to reduce the range in order to limit the size of the melodic jumps and make the line more 'walky'. I also often run the output of BLG thru a Scales&Chords to quantize it into a harmonic place that fits with the other tracks in my piece.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 8.03.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-26 at 8.03.11 PM.png (499.68 KiB) Viewed 10937 times

• Information