Is it possible to randomize a rack extension's parameters?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gkillmaster

03 Dec 2023

Thanks so much for doing this huggermugger! I really appreciate it. I'll report back once I've had a chance to get it going it up here.

gkillmaster

03 Dec 2023

huggermugger wrote:
03 Dec 2023
gkillmaster wrote:
03 Dec 2023

yay! Thanks so much. I realized that I have CV Freeze so I may try to substitute that in instead of SH-1
That should work just fine.
It's working great. Just downloaded a trial of SH-1 and it all worked. Great solution for what I want right now so thanks a lot!

Mataya

03 Dec 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
03 Dec 2023
Mataya wrote:
02 Dec 2023
LaunchEon or Morpher.

You can't thank me later.

Any question? I'm all ears.

tx
M
I'll thank you now! Thanks. The morpher looks like a useful tool regardless! Though it doesn't do exactly what I'm after. LaunchEon looks incredible but also maybe a little too deep for what I need and expensive. Great to know about these though!
Morpher can take out 8CV signals and you plug them into whatever parameters on a RE you want to randomize (I think you can even chain more morphers for more outputs.. It has randomize button so each time you do that you get 8 random CV signals to mess up your 8 CV parameters on one of noise engineering RE for example. You can do that for each of the 8 slots so you can morph between randoms states.
LaunchEon can do that even better and it outputs 32CV signals and you can randomize easier each of the block/slot and also morph between them. It was 28bucks on a black friday/week so I grabbed it finally.
I find both very useful for randomizing RE parameters and have different variations which you can morph between.

tx
M

gkillmaster

03 Dec 2023

Mataya wrote:
03 Dec 2023
gkillmaster wrote:
03 Dec 2023

I'll thank you now! Thanks. The morpher looks like a useful tool regardless! Though it doesn't do exactly what I'm after. LaunchEon looks incredible but also maybe a little too deep for what I need and expensive. Great to know about these though!
Morpher can take out 8CV signals and you plug them into whatever parameters on a RE you want to randomize (I think you can even chain more morphers for more outputs.. It has randomize button so each time you do that you get 8 random CV signals to mess up your 8 CV parameters on one of noise engineering RE for example. You can do that for each of the 8 slots so you can morph between randoms states.
LaunchEon can do that even better and it outputs 32CV signals and you can randomize easier each of the block/slot and also morph between them. It was 28bucks on a black friday/week so I grabbed it finally.
I find both very useful for randomizing RE parameters and have different variations which you can morph between.

tx
M
Thanks! I'm interested in trying the morpher! Appreciate the info!

gkillmaster

03 Dec 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
03 Dec 2023
Mataya wrote:
03 Dec 2023

tx
M
Thanks! I'm interested in trying the morpher! Appreciate the info!
I did get the CV Morpher and it's really great! Doesn't a great job at randomizing and has so many useful features!

Mataya

03 Dec 2023

F Yeah! Few notes. Make sure you save a snapshot when you like what it did to a patch. So you press ctrl+mouse click for random and when you like it, Alt+ click - save snapshot and then go to the next cell. If you don't do that you will loose that snapshot when you go back to it.
Great way to start is with two cells and morph between two patches that you like, then expand to more.
You can take matrix for example and connect it's cv's to morph xy, randomize matrix and it will jump rhythmically trough cells/pads/blocks/snapshots.

Connect more for more CV outs.
I've tried it with VST's, U-he Bazille for example that has cv cables on the front. If you use that as a destination it actually randomly connects cv cables all over the synth. Super fast random cv patching.

Enjoy.
Mataya

gkillmaster

04 Dec 2023

Mataya wrote:
03 Dec 2023
F Yeah! Few notes. Make sure you save a snapshot when you like what it did to a patch. So you press ctrl+mouse click for random and when you like it, Alt+ click - save snapshot and then go to the next cell. If you don't do that you will loose that snapshot when you go back to it.
Great way to start is with two cells and morph between two patches that you like, then expand to more.
You can take matrix for example and connect it's cv's to morph xy, randomize matrix and it will jump rhythmically trough cells/pads/blocks/snapshots.

Connect more for more CV outs.
I've tried it with VST's, U-he Bazille for example that has cv cables on the front. If you use that as a destination it actually randomly connects cv cables all over the synth. Super fast random cv patching.

Enjoy.
Mataya
great ideas and tips! going to be fun!

gkillmaster

04 Dec 2023

Mataya wrote:
03 Dec 2023
F Yeah!
Mataya
I will say that it is a little frustrating that Morpher's movements are not reflected on the instruments parameter dials. Not sure if that is true for all of them, but I tried a few and it seems like the input CVs on the back don't move the front controls.

crimsonwarlock

04 Dec 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
04 Dec 2023
I will say that it is a little frustrating that Morpher's movements are not reflected on the instruments parameter dials. Not sure if that is true for all of them, but I tried a few and it seems like the input CVs on the back don't move the front controls.
The solution to that is to put the instrument in a combinator, route the CV signals into the combinator and map them inside the combi to the controls you want to automate. That way they will move.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

gkillmaster

04 Dec 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Dec 2023
gkillmaster wrote:
04 Dec 2023
The solution to that is to put the instrument in a combinator, route the CV signals into the combinator and map them inside the combi to the controls you want to automate. That way they will move.
Great to know about. Thanks a lot!

jam-s

04 Dec 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
04 Dec 2023
That's exactly how CV is supposed to work. The dial sets the centre point and the CV modulates from there. If you want to change the dial via CV you have to assign it via a combinator. Sometimes it can be fun to use both ways at the same time.

gkillmaster

05 Dec 2023

jam-s wrote:
04 Dec 2023
gkillmaster wrote:
04 Dec 2023
That's exactly how CV is supposed to work. The dial sets the centre point and the CV modulates from there. If you want to change the dial via CV you have to assign it via a combinator. Sometimes it can be fun to use both ways at the same time.
Cool idea. I'll try that too. And yes, I'm assuming you are talking about setting the controls to bi-polar?

I was able to get the dials to move using a container! Funny thing is that when the clock is running, the Morpher CV dials stop updating. It's a small thing now that I have the instrument dials moving. I'd like to be able to see the Morpher as well but it's not as important.

electrofux

06 Dec 2023

The issue with the randomizing via cv is that as soon as you reload the song the cv values differ or the randomisation has to be triggered again. And when you detach the randomizer they turn 0. At least with the ones i have tried.
Dunno the Morpher device. It seems to have snapshots so maybe it keeps its values over a song reload.

The only reliable way i found was programming the randomisation into the remote codec.

Tinnitus

09 Dec 2023

I remember this patch randomisation video by the ever amazing Poohbear ( Carly). I never tried it myself, but it looks to be doing this by midi loopback. I don't know what the advantages are over wiring CV up instead tbh.

Found the link to this:

viewtopic.php?t=7507295

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

16 Dec 2023

electrofux wrote:
06 Dec 2023
The issue with the randomizing via cv is that as soon as you reload the song the cv values differ or the randomisation has to be triggered again. And when you detach the randomizer they turn 0. At least with the ones i have tried.
Dunno the Morpher device. It seems to have snapshots so maybe it keeps its values over a song reload.

The only reliable way i found was programming the randomisation into the remote codec.
Hi electrofux,

LaunchEon has this built in, but at some point a bug has crept in. I only found this out after reading this post and checking this morning. So the rest of my Saturday morning has been dedicated to fixing the bug.

LaunchEon is getting an update as part of the Season of Reason sale when it starts and will be available on the cheap from that point, but as this bug fix is just implemented today it will be another few days after that until the bug fix will be available.

Please note that all other Enlightenspeed stuff is already on sale except LaunchEon and the bundles, which will kick in come the start of the sale time.

Anyway, as for yourself, your insistence of ruining my Saturday with a bug find gets you a free licence for LaunchEon, assuming you don't already have it. If you do have it and fancy something else then let me know what, along with your RS username and I'll sort you for a license ASAP.

cheers,
Brian

• Information