Sequences vs Polystep Seq

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Chi-Individual

25 Nov 2023

I own PSQ but am eyeing Sequences. Can someone explain if there are any advantages to Sequences besides note conditions that I don’t have with PSQ?

mimidancer

25 Nov 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
25 Nov 2023
I own PSQ but am eyeing Sequences. Can someone explain if there are any advantages to Sequences besides note conditions that I don’t have with PSQ?
I have both. I use Robotic Beans Sequences. Either can get the job done. I don't like having to declare a key when I write. I feel like PSQ is for people who need training wheels. I also like using rec in RB Sequences but not play and just taping it what I want as it auto advances for me. Just so you understand it comes down to workflow. You can do the same stuff in the Reason sequencer. But since you asked PSQ is Mega blocks and RB Sequences is Lego. One is way cooler.

huggermugger

25 Nov 2023

The GUI is certainly more friendly on Sequences. I like PSQ (What I like about it is the modularity), but it's not very easy to see what's actually going on in a sequence. But more than Sequences or PSQ, my go-to is Step, a monophonic version of Sequences. For one thing, I like sequencing mono parts. But Step has a lot going on - conditions, CV curves, velocity, repeats, rests and ties, a choice of playback directions (Sequences only plays forward), and something I don't think I've seen on any other sequencer - Shuffle can be applied to not only 16ths, but also 8ths and 4ers. And there's a ton of CV connectivity on the back.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 9.19.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 9.19.27 PM.png (459.53 KiB) Viewed 9290 times

Chi-Individual

25 Nov 2023

mimidancer wrote:
25 Nov 2023

I have both. I use Robotic Beans Sequences. Either can get the job done. I don't like having to declare a key when I write. I feel like PSQ is for people who need training wheels.

I’m one of those that needs training wheels. My knowledge of theory is trash so without the training wheels my knees and elbows have gotten all scratched up from falling :lol: :lol:

huggermugger wrote:
25 Nov 2023
The GUI is certainly more friendly on Sequences. I like PSQ (What I like about it is the modularity), but it's not very easy to see what's actually going on in a sequence. But more than Sequences or PSQ, my go-to is Step, a monophonic version of Sequences. For one thing, I like sequencing mono parts. But Step has a lot going on - conditions, CV curves, velocity, repeats, rests and ties, a choice of playback directions (Sequences only plays forward), and something I don't think I've seen on any other sequencer - Shuffle can be applied to not only 16ths, but also 8ths and 4ers. And there's a ton of CV connectivity on the back.
I agree with you about the GUI. One complaint I do have about PSQ is the fact that I can’t see as much as I need to when placing notes. And it doesn’t have a very workflow friendly scroll feature. I was not aware of STEP. I need to check that out. The CV jacks and reverse option have peaked my interest.

dvdrtldg

26 Nov 2023

I'm confused, are we talking here about PSQ 1684 or Polystep? Everyone keeps talking about Sequences vs "PSQ" but it says Sequences vs Polystep in the heading

I'll put in another vote for Step, another really cool thing about it is that you can CV modulate the Offset parameter, which if you keep it subtle can introduce very musical hiccups and variations into a bass line. It's definitely worth getting imo, even if you already have Sequences

deeplink
Competition Winner

26 Nov 2023

Always found Sequences best for... well Sequencing.

Polystep, in my opinion, was for more musical ideas generation, with ease of access to chord variations etc. In that sense, I think Chord Sequencer did a better job.

Hope RS incorporates some of the ideas of Polystep into the DAWs sequencer tho
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Chi-Individual

26 Nov 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Nov 2023
I'm confused, are we talking here about PSQ 1684 or Polystep? Everyone keeps talking about Sequences vs "PSQ" but it says Sequences vs Polystep
I’ve seen Polystep Sequencer abbreviated to PSQ in previous post so that’s why I used it. I figured context would keep it clear. Sorry that it didn’t.

huggermugger

26 Nov 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Nov 2023
I'm confused, are we talking here about PSQ 1684 or Polystep? Everyone keeps talking about Sequences vs "PSQ" but it says Sequences vs Polystep in the heading

I'll put in another vote for Step, another really cool thing about it is that you can CV modulate the Offset parameter, which if you keep it subtle can introduce very musical hiccups and variations into a bass line. It's definitely worth getting imo, even if you already have Sequences
LOL I noticed "PSQ" and that's what I was talking about with its difficult GUI. PolyStep is another story.

Chi-Individual

26 Nov 2023

I see now that I’ve caused all type of confusion. :lol:
I apologize. But yes I was always talking about Polystep. I’m so sorry

dvdrtldg

26 Nov 2023

No worries brosef

FWIW I tried PolyStep when it first came out and couldn't get to like it at all. Sequences is way more versatile

• Information