Static Cling Black Friday Sale 2023

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Socram
RE Developer

22 Nov 2023

Hey everyone,

I haven't done a sale on my Rack Extensions in a couple of years now (I think, time is weird) so just wanted to make a thread to let everyone know all of my "modern" Rack Extensions are on sale for Black Friday, all for about 50% off.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/brow ... ic%20Cling

I've had less and less time lately for Rack Extension development, so nothing to really announce there, but do let me know if you have any questions!

I hope everyone enjoys the sales and happy holidays!
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

Bes
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2023

thank you for the tools M :thumbs_up:
- Certified Reason expert

crimsonwarlock

22 Nov 2023

Because of no sales for some time, I bought Optic and Chord Detector at full price earlier this year, as I needed them for a project. I do like sales like the next guy, but I have no problem buying stuff at list price when it is obviously worth it and I need it :thumbup:

So, grabbed Delta and AutoLatch now for cheap :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

challism

23 Nov 2023

Nice to see you posting on the forum, Marcos. I know I'm not the only one hoping that you will develop more REs in the future. I love your devices. These are some great sale prices on these essential tools that regularly find their way into my projects.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

luckygreen

23 Nov 2023

Delta MIDI Computer is on my list for sure. Autolatch too.

I'm a bit torn on Chord Detector. I like it for sure and it will come in handy but Index Chord Dictionary does the same thing and then some, does it? Index is no Player device so you have to use a combinator to route MIDI into it, right? But you can select chords with it, route CV into an instrument and you can build up your chord progression that way. There is a bit of an overlap with Scales and Chords I reckon, but still, for me it is Index then.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

huggermugger

23 Nov 2023

Delta and AutoLatch make a deadly combination.

crimsonwarlock

23 Nov 2023

huggermugger wrote:
23 Nov 2023
Delta whas on my wishlist for some time now, but because of your continuous endorsement of this combo I just grabbed AutoLatch as well :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

huggermugger

23 Nov 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Nov 2023

Delta whas on my wishlist for some time now, but because of your continuous endorsement of this combo I just grabbed AutoLatch as well :puf_wink:
Delta does a whole lot of things, but it doesn't alter gate lengths. AutoLatch to the rescue, very useful when added to devices like arpeggiators that have limited or no control over gate length. Try feeding ChordSequencer or PolyStep thru a Random Gate Length setting on AutoLatch and then into a piano. With the right settings, this can really bring the part to life by simulating variable pedaling and note holding. AutoLatch also makes it easy to play with gate/trigger probabilities (e.g. to occasionally drop a drum hit from a BeatMap pattern).

joeyluck

23 Nov 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Nov 2023
huggermugger wrote:
23 Nov 2023
I use the patch "Instant Drama" a lot. It's simple, but effective—1 bar latch, blocking interrupts. Just use the "Block Interrupts" and experiment with latch lengths to find the right sound. Works well following other players that feel too busy / notes too short and does a great job taming generative players. Great when you want to slow/calm something down without slowing down the rate of the sequence/progression.

huggermugger

23 Nov 2023

joeyluck wrote:
23 Nov 2023
Works well following other players that feel too busy / notes too short and does a great job taming generative players. Great when you want to slow/calm something down without slowing down the rate of the sequence/progression.
Well put! If you were to add this comment to Static Cling's post in the Reason Studios Users FB group, more people might realize the value of Autolatch (and maybe Delta :) )

Socram
RE Developer

23 Nov 2023

Aw thank you all so much for the kind words and support, really love hearing that these tools help people make music, that's what it's all about! I have been starting to get the itch again to make another device... we'll see :)
luckygreen wrote:
23 Nov 2023
Delta MIDI Computer is on my list for sure. Autolatch too.

I'm a bit torn on Chord Detector. I like it for sure and it will come in handy but Index Chord Dictionary does the same thing and then some, does it? Index is no Player device so you have to use a combinator to route MIDI into it, right? But you can select chords with it, route CV into an instrument and you can build up your chord progression that way. There is a bit of an overlap with Scales and Chords I reckon, but still, for me it is Index then.
You're absolutely right, Index and Chord Detector have a ton of overlap. Chord Detector is the spiritual successor in Player format, which has obvious usability benefits over Index's "instrument" device type.

Chord Detector does detect a good number more chords than Index (albeit mostly weirder ones) as well as the ability to detect some "alternative" chords when there are 2 valid matches, and just a generally better looking, more streamlined interface.

Index has the chord generation features (largely outmoded by Scales and Chords or Chord Sequencer), which Chord Detector does not attempt to do.

If you're happy with Index's usability, I don't see a huge reason to "upgrade" to Chord Detector. Hope this helps!
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

luckygreen

23 Nov 2023

Socram wrote:
23 Nov 2023
Thanks for clarifying! I chose both Tome & Index for some features (looking up chords and visualization for string instuments) and Chord Detector for it's features, including the velocity monitor. :thumbup:
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

luckygreen

24 Nov 2023

Socram, fist let me thank you for your amazing products. Delta MIDI computer is crazy powerful. Optic and Autolatch are lots of fun. :clap: Thank you for your great tools!

One question please: Is it possible with Chord Detector to move the section of displayed notes like it is with Tome? When I play low notes they don't show up in Chord Detector because they are outside of the displayed area. If not, would you consider to implement maybe a low, middle and a high cutout of the whole MIDI note range to be displayed by Chord Detector, selectable by the user?

challism

24 Nov 2023

luckygreen wrote:
23 Nov 2023
Socram wrote:
23 Nov 2023
Thanks for clarifying! I chose both Tome & Index for some features (looking up chords and visualization for string instuments) and Chord Detector for it's features, including the velocity monitor. :thumbup:
I think Index is pretty well covered by Chord Detector, but Tome remains the only RE in the shop that shows a layout for string instruments, which is pretty useful for musicians of stringed instruments. I've always hoped Chord Detector would get an update to include such a feature; it would be a very welcomed feature for a player to have. Maybe in the future Marcos will find some time to devote to RE developing. StaticCling REs are top tier.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Quarmat
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2023

Hello, I plan to buy both Delta and Autolatch. I have a question about Optic, tho: i own RB's Compare CV scope that can analyze 4 cv signals. Does Optic pretty much overlaps with it or does it provide something different?

Quarmat
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2023

Quarmat wrote:
24 Nov 2023
Hello, I plan to buy both Delta and Autolatch. I have a question about Optic, tho: i own RB's Compare CV scope that can analyze 4 cv signals. Does Optic pretty much overlaps with it or does it provide something different?

I am asking because once I buy Delta and Autolatch I'll own all of Static Cling REs but Optic, so to appease my asperger-ish completiionist itch I'd like to know if the latter has some specific utility compared to Compare (pun!)

Socram
RE Developer

24 Nov 2023

luckygreen wrote:
24 Nov 2023
One question please: Is it possible with Chord Detector to move the section of displayed notes like it is with Tome? When I play low notes they don't show up in Chord Detector because they are outside of the displayed area. If not, would you consider to implement maybe a low, middle and a high cutout of the whole MIDI note range to be displayed by Chord Detector, selectable by the user?
This is not currently possible with Chord Detector, I will consider this for a future update! It will still detect chords and list velocities for those outside of the keyboard range if you hadn't noticed.
Quarmat wrote:
24 Nov 2023
Optic is a multi channel audio analyzer (and oscilloscope, secondarily) that shows the frequency content of incoming audio. It's primary purpose is to analyze multiple audio sources at once, for example the drums, bass, guitar, and vocals of a song, and display each side by side. The value of this is in seeing where frequency overlap occurs as a way to inform mixing decisions. For example the bass and guitar are likely to have a lot of overlap which can lead to muddiness, Optic allows you to see this visually and see where you need to set the cutoffs for a low pass on the bass and/or a high pass on the guitar to reduce the amount of overlap.

Compare CV scope operates on CV signals, and as such serves a completely different purpose than Optic.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any follow up questions, and don't feel undue pressure to purchase Optic if you're not sure how it'll fit into your workflow or if you prefer to mix completely by ear.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

luckygreen

24 Nov 2023

Socram wrote:
24 Nov 2023
This is not currently possible with Chord Detector, I will consider this for a future update! It will still detect chords and list velocities for those outside of the keyboard range if you hadn't noticed.
Hello Socram

Yes, I noticed that it still displays the chords it detects even if the notes played are outside the displayed keyboard range. The thing is I like your device so much that I double use it as a MIDI-note-played-display or "MIDI monitor", if that makes sense. I know there are others, even free ones, but i like chords detector: Simple, no nonsense design.

Thanks for considering an update. :thumbs_up:

Quarmat
Competition Winner

24 Nov 2023

Socram wrote:
24 Nov 2023
Optic is a multi channel audio analyzer (and oscilloscope, secondarily) that shows the frequency content of incoming audio. It's primary purpose is to analyze multiple audio sources at once
Mine is a classic example of tunnel vision; I don't know why I insisted on imagining that both Compare and Optic were analysing CV signals... thanks for correcting me!
Socram wrote:
24 Nov 2023
Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any follow up questions, and don't feel undue pressure to purchase Optic if you're not sure how it'll fit into your workflow or if you prefer to mix completely by ear.
I just bought Optic and intend to try it out on the track I'm mixing these days.

I think it's time to develop that new RE you mentioned above, because I have nothing left to buy from Static Cling ;)

crimsonwarlock

24 Nov 2023

Quarmat wrote:
24 Nov 2023
I just bought Optic and intend to try it out on the track I'm mixing these days.
I bought Optic (a while back) specifically for my mixing/mastering, to compare the spectrum of my mix to several reference tracks. I helped me a lot, to be able to see the differences and be able to map that to what I'm hearing.
-------

ab459

25 Nov 2023

Trying Delta now, question about factory combi patches, for example "Acid Bass" - do press at "Run" button (at combi panel) should produce sound sequence ? Just nothing occurs.
Wanted to clarify if it intended or some issue (the same for other Delta combinators which have Run button).

Or it should be driven by midi notes ? (however by idea Run button for playing it independently, right)

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2023

that patch doesn't use the Run button at all

The “Run” button can be used to start/stop all (Reason) pattern devices included in the Combi. This works exactly as pressing the Run button on the pattern device panel. The on/off status of this button is not saved with the Combi patch. Pressing play on the transport panel in the Sequencer will automatically activate “Run Pattern Devices”.
ab459 wrote:
25 Nov 2023
Trying Delta now, question about factory combi patches, for example "Acid Bass" - do press at "Run" button (at combi panel) should produce sound sequence ? Just nothing occurs.
Wanted to clarify if it intended or some issue (the same for other Delta combinators which have Run button).

Or it should be driven by midi notes ? (however by idea Run button for playing it independently, right)

ab459

25 Nov 2023

Bes wrote:
25 Nov 2023
that patch doesn't use the Run button at all

The “Run” button can be used to start/stop all (Reason) pattern devices included in the Combi. This works exactly as pressing the Run button on the pattern device panel. The on/off status of this button is not saved with the Combi patch. Pressing play on the transport panel in the Sequencer will automatically activate “Run Pattern Devices”.
ab459 wrote:
25 Nov 2023

:-) oh dam, sorry, i see (there was a long pause in using Reason). Then ok.

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Nov 2023

you'r good buddy, someones gotta ask the questions or what else are we going to talk about.

now we can design our own combinator front plates they don't necessarily even have a "run" button on them at all

ab459

26 Nov 2023

Bes wrote:
25 Nov 2023
you'r good buddy, someones gotta ask the questions or what else are we going to talk about.

now we can design our own combinator front plates they don't necessarily even have a "run" button on them at all
Yes BTW that why i was puzzled perhaps, subconsciously keeping in mind that default state of combinator looks without Play button (in v12), that by idea should assume that this added at panel manually, and resp should produce something. :puf_smile:

• Information