Rack Extension vs VST plug-in prices

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
luckygreen
Posts: 101
Joined: 24 Jul 2023
Location: Germany

Post 23 Nov 2023

huggermugger wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
I do use Reason as a DAW and I happily use VSTs within it. VSTs in Reason have never given me a problem, and I like the quick access to CV parameters built into the VST shell.
Mataya wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
... Vst's work great and overall it's such a good implementation. MIDI out for VST's and I'm a happy man...
I see. I like the way Reason handles VST, aside from glitches I experienced with one or two plugins. But when I have the choice I would choose RE over VST in Reason. Still, RS did a fine job with their VST-implementation. I agree.

Maybe I got Richard wrong the first time. What are the choises again?
- Not paying for RE if you own the VST ("free crossgrade") like we have currently with Synapse Audio products
- paying little for the RE if you own the VST equivalent ("small crossgrade fee")
- paying little for the RE if you do not own the VST equivalent <-- count me in! :D
- paying little for a smaller RE version of a bigger VST version like with Antidote vs. Dune 3

(sorry, I have a cold and am a bit unfocused. The good news: I stay at home and plan out my BF shopping list. I hope I' going to buy the right REs ... :lol: )
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11006
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 23 Nov 2023

On the topic of "player synths", I think a Synapse plugin in the style of Analog Lab would be fun and could do well in all formats, not just Reason, if a plugin can be made that combines engines from all the synths and loads their presets with some macros available.

Then Reason users could have access to Dune presets in the RE that they otherwise didn't have, non-Reason users can get access to Antidote presets in the VST/AU, etc.

And I think the name should be Synapse Synopsis :)

Mataya
Posts: 506
Joined: 03 May 2019

Post 23 Nov 2023

Loque wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
Mataya wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
I use Reason as a DAW and since the introduction of VST inside Reason, never looked back. Vst's work great and overall it's such a good implementation. MIDI out for VST's and I'm a happy man.
Quite a few developer are obviously leaving Re format and while it's a shame for users, I can understand it. Also, which is even worse, there are no new developers on the scene.
Don't know what's going to happen. Don't mind buying RE. I like it when developers lower their prices when they decide to leave. Thanks Panda and others. I know he said he's not leaving. But c'mon...

M
Well, in the last years a lot of ppl said this... And as always in the past... Just today a new RE was released 😏

And it is also released as a VST. I don't know anything about a cross grade, but I am sure, the dev would have been happy, if he had to do the developing only once and could manage selling or cross grading easier.
You don't think that new device releases frequency is down? It would be nice to see some charts, but I feel like there's a new device here and there as opposed to few years back. I like it that new devices are often fresh and different (well some of them). But vst world for me at least is so much richer and more attractive. A lot of Re's are unique and I love them. But XLN XO, Beat Scholar, Permutate, Bazille, Some Polyverse stuff, oh I can't imagine beeing without those now. And the list is of course much bigger.
I don't know, I like VST world.

tx
M

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 11136
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 23 Nov 2023

Mataya wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
Loque wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023

Well, in the last years a lot of ppl said this... And as always in the past... Just today a new RE was released 😏

And it is also released as a VST. I don't know anything about a cross grade, but I am sure, the dev would have been happy, if he had to do the developing only once and could manage selling or cross grading easier.
You don't think that new device releases frequency is down? It would be nice to see some charts, but I feel like there's a new device here and there as opposed to few years back. I like it that new devices are often fresh and different (well some of them). But vst world for me at least is so much richer and more attractive. A lot of Re's are unique and I love them. But XLN XO, Beat Scholar, Permutate, Bazille, Some Polyverse stuff, oh I can't imagine beeing without those now. And the list is of course much bigger.
I don't know, I like VST world.

tx
M
I never said, i would use only RE, but i prefer them. And ofc, there are plenty more developers for VSTs and there are also plenty more sh!tty releases in VST...

For me it feels like that everyone is releasing only EQs and Channelstrips as VST since 2 years...

But hey, do not let this thread come to a RE vs VST discussion and focus on OP question. We in Reason at least can have both, RE and VST.
Reason12, Win10

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11006
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 23 Nov 2023

Giving more thought to the RE vs VST pricing...I have no idea what the numbers are and what might equate to more sales, but if a slightly lower RE price sells more RE licenses and a crossgrade to VST covers costs of customer support for handling crossgrades, maybe that makes sense?

It's too bad the selling of VSTs in the Reason shop is no longer available, because if that were in place it might be a little more feasible for Reason Studios to help support an integrated crossgrade between RE and VST. Maybe they could bring it back with the exception that the selling of VSTs is only available to devs who have REs in the shop?

User avatar
Adabler
Competition Winner
Posts: 495
Joined: 05 Oct 2017
Location: Oslo

Post 23 Nov 2023

I mostly use REs so I would welcome this. Have all but a few Synapse RE's, so it's exciting to hear that more may be on the horizon, reduced price or not.
:reason: 12, Win10

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11006
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2023

joeyluck wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
On the topic of "player synths", I think a Synapse plugin in the style of Analog Lab would be fun and could do well in all formats, not just Reason, if a plugin can be made that combines engines from all the synths and loads their presets with some macros available.

Then Reason users could have access to Dune presets in the RE that they otherwise didn't have, non-Reason users can get access to Antidote presets in the VST/AU, etc.

And I think the name should be Synapse Synopsis :)
I was thinking more about this. Aside from the brilliant name lol, would something like this with multiple synth engines be possible in RE format? And is there anything else in the RE format that prevents the Dune engine by itself?

User avatar
raymondh
Posts: 1769
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2023

I like having both the RE and the VST, so the crossgrade was fantastic (thankyou).

I use Reason standalone (where RE is much nicer to use than VST), and Reason Rack inside Reaper (where workflow is faster to drop in the VST). It's nice to have the same great synths in both formats and with virtually identical UX. Well done on achieving that!

User avatar
moneykube
Posts: 3441
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2023

joeyluck wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
It's too bad the selling of VSTs in the Reason shop is no longer available
when did that occur? I actually never noticed that.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11006
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2023

moneykube wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2023
joeyluck wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
It's too bad the selling of VSTs in the Reason shop is no longer available
when did that occur? I actually never noticed that.
It was around the time of R9.5 that they began selling VSTs in the shop.
viewtopic.php?t=7501340

User avatar
moneykube
Posts: 3441
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2023

joeyluck wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2023
moneykube wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2023


when did that occur? I actually never noticed that.
It was around the time of R9.5 that they began selling VSTs in the shop.
viewtopic.php?t=7501340
I knew that...
My question was> when did they stop selling VSTs in the shop? Even a rough date would suffice. I am curious.
I did not actually notice when that occurred.
-----------------
moneykube wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2023
joeyluck wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
It's too bad the selling of VSTs in the Reason shop is no longer available
when did that occur? I actually never noticed that.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 11006
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2023

moneykube wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2023
joeyluck wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2023


It was around the time of R9.5 that they began selling VSTs in the shop.
viewtopic.php?t=7501340
I knew that...
My question was> when did they stop selling VSTs in the shop? Even a rough date would suffice. I am curious.
I did not actually notice when that occurred.
-----------------
moneykube wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2023


when did that occur? I actually never noticed that.
I don't recall. It was a long time ago. Maybe within a year or so? 2018? Funny you didn't notice VSTs haven't been sold in the shop for a while.

User avatar
moneykube
Posts: 3441
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 27 Nov 2023

joeyluck wrote: ↑
27 Nov 2023
I don't recall. It was a long time ago. Maybe within a year or so? 2018? Funny you didn't notice VSTs haven't been sold in the shop for a while.
I am always looking at racks when in the shop... I remember a time they were there, but the VST's were uninteresting to me and seemed overpriced if I remember correctly. Yes :lol: I'm in the shop so much, I should have noticed that.... selective vision I guess. :question:
2018? :shock: Thanks for your response.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

User avatar
StephenHutchinson
Posts: 453
Joined: 27 Sep 2019

Post 28 Nov 2023

parma wrote: ↑
22 Nov 2023
StephenHutchinson wrote: ↑
22 Nov 2023



I know this may be a little off topic, but I have been wondering, quietly to myself, if you are able to create both REs and VSTs for the same instruments/effects... wouldn't it be an advantage for Reason Studios to do the same thing with their add on instruments, effects, and players? They could make a killing in the VST market if this holds water. Or am I missing something.
They tried this with Europa a few years ago. It was released as a VST. I imagine sales weren't what they hoped because it has quietly disappeared and no other Reason VSTs have been released.
You are right about Europa. I still have the VST in most of my DAWs... :puf_smile: It would be neat if they tried another go at it... or maybe that would be cutting into their Reason Studios line...
:reason: Reason User Since Version 1.0
:refill: Reason Sound Design & Content Creation
Sound Dimension https://www.sounddimension.io

ReFiils: Ambientia Cinematic Soundscapes | String Theory (Friktion) | Algoritmo (Algoritm)

Steedus
Competition Winner
Posts: 989
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Melbourne, AU

Post 29 Nov 2023

Remember when "Propellerheads" released a fully functional version of Europa you could play in a web browser? I thought that was a (successful) test for some interesting expansion. Seems to be gone now that they've changed to Reason Studios.


User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 11136
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 29 Nov 2023

Wow! Nice. I Thought they had removed it :clap: :thumbup:
Reason12, Win10

Steedus
Competition Winner
Posts: 989
Joined: 31 Aug 2015
Location: Melbourne, AU

Post 29 Nov 2023

Ah cool thanks.

User avatar
SynapseAudio
RE Developer
Posts: 59
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 18 Dec 2023

joeyluck wrote: ↑
23 Nov 2023
It's too bad the selling of VSTs in the Reason shop is no longer available, because if that were in place it might be a little more feasible for Reason Studios to help support an integrated crossgrade between RE and VST. Maybe they could bring it back with the exception that the selling of VSTs is only available to devs who have REs in the shop?
That would be cool! Maybe we can convince them to bring back VST in full or at least in part.

Richard

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests