What are your plans RE-wise for Black Friday?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
crimsonwarlock

25 Nov 2023

I basically grabbed what I wanted this time around, earlier this week. I'm still contemplating getting JCG S73 and Studio Piano. I was holding off because I'm not yet back to playing keys, but at the same time, I actually should start playing my piano again to retrain my injured fingers (they still hurt like hell at times). So, if I buy them now, that might be an incentive to start playing again... hmmm... :think:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

luckygreen

25 Nov 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
25 Nov 2023
I basically grabbed what I wanted this time around, earlier this week. I'm still contemplating getting JCG S73 and Studio Piano. ...
Look at that beautiful UI graphics. I feel you want it. And it wants you! :lol:

I have too many Pianos already. E-Pianos not so much. I plan to dabble my feet into lofi. I grabbed S73. Seems to be a perfect fit with a nice lofi effect like AudioThing Wires.
Reason 12 perpetual | Ableton Live 11 Suite
Lectric Panda Kompulsion, Nostromo, mDSQ, Shape | PinkNoise Maia Bundle | Reason Studios Objekt | Rob Papen Go2 | UJAM some RE | Synapse Audio AF-4, RE-160, Obsession | Andrew Russell Double Dry/Wet | Murf Valley Plateau

crimsonwarlock

25 Nov 2023

luckygreen wrote:
25 Nov 2023
Look at that beautiful UI graphics. I feel you want it. And it wants you! :lol:
I know, I know... :puf_bigsmile:
luckygreen wrote:
25 Nov 2023
I have too many Pianos already.
I have a Roland RD-150 stage piano with weighted hammer-action keys in my studio, that thing has some impressive acoustic pianos on board. But as soon as I'm playing it, I like the convenience of having a good sampled piano inside Reason (I use the RD-150 mainly as a MIDI-controller). I do have Processed Pianos and Radical Pianos, but nothing like JCG's Studio Piano. And I do use pianos in my music, so there's that.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

crimsonwarlock

25 Nov 2023

Well, installed the trial for Studio Piano and played it against Processed Pianos. Although Studio Piano sounds quite nice, I must admit that I like the Yamaha C7 in Processed Pianos quite a bit more. So, for now, I don't see a need for me to get Studio Piano. S73 on the other hand, has been on my wishlist for a while now, so I'm definitely getting that one before this sale ends.
-------

crimsonwarlock

26 Nov 2023

Question :?: I have all the Blamsoft synths except Viking-1. Even at the current price, is there any use in getting VK-1 when I already have VK-2, and also the Legend and Morningstar (which is in the same league tmo).
-------

sycon

26 Nov 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Nov 2023
Question :?: I have all the Blamsoft synths except Viking-1. Even at the current price, is there any use in getting VK-1 when I already have VK-2, and also the Legend and Morningstar (which is in the same league tmo).
I bought it just to be able to finally use the Viking Signature refill by Soundcells (I have all other Soundcells refills).

:)

ambi

26 Nov 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Nov 2023
What I know is that even though the naming suggests it, VK-2 is not a successor of VK-1.
VK-1 is based on a Mini Moog Voyager whereas VK-2 is based on a Moog Modular.

dusan.cani

26 Nov 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Nov 2023
is there any use in getting VK-1 when I already have VK-2, and also the Legend and Morningstar (which is in the same league tmo).
VK-1 sounds different. It is more suitable for dry, raw "analog" synth sounds...VK-2 sounds a little bit softer and it can be processed further by very lush sounding internal FX which dramatically alters the sound.

crimsonwarlock

26 Nov 2023

ambi wrote:
26 Nov 2023
What I know is that even though the naming suggests it, VK-2 is not a successor of VK-1.
I know that, it's pretty much common knowledge by now. That's why I also pointed out I have The Legend and Morningstar. It is not about the exact model, it is about the Moog-sound (which is basically the filters). I thought the question was obviously not about what model they represent, but what sound pallet they bring. I'm not collecting stuff, I only buy stuff that adds new possibilities to my setup.

Before I moved to Reason, Viking-1 VST (the free one) was my goto for Moog-ish sounds. Since using Reason I've basically moved to Legend for that. I bought VK-2 later on because it is a modular synth, and it lets you patch-up a behemoth synth by patching between two or more instances.
-------

crimsonwarlock

26 Nov 2023

dusan.cani wrote:
26 Nov 2023
VK-1 sounds different. It is more suitable for dry, raw "analog" synth sounds...
I have many synths that can do dry, raw analog-ish sounds. In the meanwhile, installed the trial, at this point, why not :puf_bigsmile:
-------

ab459

26 Nov 2023

Ok did grab VK1 too, frankly thought before that VK2 is replacement. And did check audio examples, impressive, despite time. + it seems back panel can give something.

NoiseCrime

27 Nov 2023

Well then a bit of an expensive week for me. Actually not really that expensive just unplanned purchases of a number of RE's, though that was offset having earned some reward points from upgrading Reason 8 to 12 this year.

The frequent mentions of the 'good deal' that the Blamsoft synths are in various threads made it seem rude not to snatch them up. I already had the VK-1 VST, but tried out the RE VK-2, Zero and Expanse and pretty much instantly found sounds that I liked along with having some fun with routing stuff to the VK-2 that yeah seems like a nice bargain.

To top it off I grabbed Reason's Bassline Generator and Chords Sequencer. I'm a bit iffy on the Chords Sequencer but had to make a decision so went with it. Conversely I can see so much utility and potential for the Bassline Generator, even going beyond just basslines. Indeed I had a lot of fun routing it into the VK-2.

As for Chord Sequencer, it probably saves me tracking down and re-buying Kenneth Bakers - 'The Complete Keyboard Player Chord Book' that I owned several decades ago, or some alternative. However I think I had more fun using the iPad Scaler 2 app (free) and not sure I like being so constrained by the pre-chosen chords.

What really annoyed me though is even when assigning your own chords to the 'empty' style, then saving the patch, if you accidently select a different style or 'empty' again, you LOSE your assignments! If you then happen to save the patch afterwards you've lost those assignments for good - this is just terrible UI design and feels counter to every other rack module.

Still have my eye on some VST's but my gut feel is that they will get better discounts later, so left them for the time being.

Mysterygrimms

27 Nov 2023

My haul for Reason Studio's Black Friday Sale 2023

1. Jiggery-Pokery Sound's JPS Harmonic Synthesizer.

2. Jiggery-Pokery Sound's The Animus Shimmerverb Ensemble.

3. Jiggery-Pokery Sound's Transcendent 2000.

4. Jiggery-Pokery Sound's Villanelle Killer Wah.

5. Synapse GQ-7 Graphic Equalizer.

6. J Chris Griffins S73 Electric Piano.

7. J Chris Griffins Virtual Audience.

8. Blamsoft's Expanse Hyperwave Synthesizer.

9. Skrock's Morningstar Synth.

10. Skrock's SMFX Reverb RE.

El-Maniaque

27 Nov 2023

I wasn't supposed to buy anything on black week, but I couldn't resist it and went to the reasonstudios store. I thought to myself that I didn't have the Expanse Hyperwave synthesizer.... I bought it for a great price of 10 euros. :)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2023

Didn't have many needs as I've been accumulating stuff over the years and I'm even a bit overwhelmed with so much stuff.

Anyway out of sale and mostly because I'm having a bad feeling about his stuff getting out I got repeat from Ochen K.

I also got maia and studio piano these ones are less than 60% their original price.

This year i didn't buy more stuff out of reason. Its been an odd year.

challism

28 Nov 2023

I only bought one RE during BF: I spent a $50 rewards voucher and got BVX while it was on sale for $50.
I also preordered a Roli Seaboard Block M, which I am very excited to get (but I have to wait until next summer to get it).
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

zoidkirb

28 Nov 2023

Like half the forum here I grabbed Viking 2, Zero, J Chris Griffins s73.
Also finally picked up Friktion, and Speo's Strive (great suggestion from Joeyluck!)

• Information