Complex-1 users

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
voiceprint1

03 Nov 2023

hi, I used the demo for Complex-1 and certain patches really impressed me, but the presets leave a lot to be desired, and while I saw a few patches for sale and a few in the common areas that folks had worked on, they did not seem like they were fully realized. I think the sound design is potentially there, but am not crazy about wasting a 100 dollars for an unsupported platform.

Can some folks chime in about the real world use of Complex-1 and it's value. I really like the way modulars can create lush pad sounds, but I did not find many examples out there.

Tiny Montgomery

03 Nov 2023

I'd also be interested in recommendations for patch libraries etc for complex.

This is good though:

Chi-Individual

03 Nov 2023

I got Complex-1 when it first came out and sat on it waiting for tutorials or live stream that never came. I think the pandemic derailed most of that because RS pivoted to the next set of REs they release (CS, BLG, etc…) and seemed to have forgotten completely about it. So this year I took it upon myself to see if I can learn it. So I created a channel where, for now, all the songs feature, from pretty cool to down right trash, were made entirely with just *1* singular Complex-1. My goal was just to see how far I could push its limits. Been thinking of doing tutorial vids with no talking but didn’t know if anyone would watch. Anyway, hope this helps shine some light on C1.

https://youtube.com/@IntroVRZN?si=U1JLKnPiCh_ZLNlq

motuscott

03 Nov 2023

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
03 Nov 2023
I'd also be interested in recommendations for patch libraries etc for complex.

This is good though:

That's the one. You've just gotta jump in.
This is why Reason is great. Open playing field. Best way to learn synthesis.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Jackjackdaw

03 Nov 2023

I think the premise is that it is a platform to facilitate personal experimentation rather than have stuff served up. I used it heavily when it came out and I was exploring the possibilities of modular synths. I think in many respects it is limited, as a tiny eurorack case would be. But you can learn a lot in that sandbox if that’s what you’re interested in. Sounds to me like you might be better off with Pigments, Roland Cloud or something that can do basically whatever you like and has a million presets..

dvdrtldg

03 Nov 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
03 Nov 2023
I got Complex-1 when it first came out and sat on it waiting for tutorials or live stream that never came. I think the pandemic derailed most of that because RS pivoted to the next set of REs they release (CS, BLG, etc…) and seemed to have forgotten completely about it. So this year I took it upon myself to see if I can learn it. So I created a channel where, for now, all the songs feature, from pretty cool to down right trash, were made entirely with just *1* singular Complex-1. My goal was just to see how far I could push its limits. Been thinking of doing tutorial vids with no talking but didn’t know if anyone would watch. Anyway, hope this helps shine some light on C1.

Excellent, thanks! Looking forward to diving into this. I’ve had C-1 for a while but my approach to it is still very much “Hmm, let’s see what happens if I turn this knob”. Which sometimes gives a great result, but I have only a blurry sort of idea what I’m doing

voiceprint1

03 Nov 2023

I tried Pigments, but found it kinda lacked that strange quality modular can achieve, I also tried Arturia's modular and did not love it either.

I really liked Voltage Modulars rack devise Analog5ys but it plays back terribly as a VST for some reason, it gets all harsh and stops working, which lead me to try a synth designed for Reasons environment.

Bes
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2023

complex-1 is good, i like to use it in the real world to make monophonic sounds but i rarely use it for polyphonic sounds
- Certified Reason expert

huggermugger

03 Nov 2023

Since buying R11 Suite years ago, I've barely touched Complex-1. Don't know why the avoidance, although I certainly get my fill of modular synthesis courtesy of Voltage Modular and VCV Rack. Though is Complex even modular? Semi-modular, more like.

But if you're serious about West Coast synthesis, grab Voltage Modular Nucleus for free...

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/v ... ar-nucleus

and then buy this bundle for $29...

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/d ... ast-bundle
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 7.22.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-11-03 at 7.22.45 PM.png (458.97 KiB) Viewed 18992 times
Last edited by huggermugger on 03 Nov 2023, edited 5 times in total.

BRIGGS

03 Nov 2023

After trying Phase Plant, I no longer use Complex-1. Shame, there is no market place to sell it.
r11s

selig
RE Developer

03 Nov 2023

Bes wrote:
03 Nov 2023
complex-1 is good, i like to use it in the real world to make monophonic sounds but i rarely use it for polyphonic sounds
Maybe because it can't play polyphonically? ;)

@voiceprint1- I don't think of monophonic/modular when I think of pad sounds, fwiw. I think of super specific and dense sounds that pretty much would only work for the song in question.
Full disclaimer, I created some of the patches for Complex-1. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

mjxl

03 Nov 2023

Check these out too when trying Complex1 !

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512144

dvdrtldg

03 Nov 2023

The thing I like about Complex-1 is that it seems to provide a nice easy Modular Synthesis 101 introduction to a big deep field of sound design. I don't have the time to get into modular synthesis on the level of something like Reaktor or Voltage Modular, but I like the sounds and I'm still interested in dipping my toe in the water. Complex-1 is great for that level of commitment

Mattvank

04 Nov 2023

It ist not really helpful to compare Complex 1 with VCV or similar systems Like phaseplant. Complex 1 is semi modular and well limited and It is a Rack Extension. Made vor people of Reasonracksystem.,, Pallas " from max vor Cats would bei a better comparsion. Its limited too and It is build for Ableton.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2023

I have tired a couple of times to get into Complex-1 but it just does not inspire me, I have a bit of fun but there is no urge to go back to it.

This was the last time I "made" my self make a patch with it and use it along with Voltage Modular (which I love to use along with Reason, passing CV via the audio cables back and forth) etc.

Jackjackdaw

04 Nov 2023

It’s not semi modular. There are no normaled connections. It’s is fully modular but limited to a selection of modules. Thor is semi modular.

Tiny Montgomery

04 Nov 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
03 Nov 2023

You have a new follower!

On the topic of you tube vids Im thinking of having a go at doing something like this with no talking, what do people use to capture the video and sound on a mac? I had a bit of a go on OBS on my old PC machine but with limted success and i didnt like it at all. At the very least I'd like to capture enough to send to a friend who also uses Reason but doesnt have as much time on his hands as me to experiment.

Tiny Montgomery

04 Nov 2023

mjxl wrote:
03 Nov 2023
Check these out too when trying Complex1 !

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7512144
Nice, I might give some of those a try, cheers!

DaveyG

04 Nov 2023

Complex is an "also-ran" for me. Not very inspiring and I've barely used it. It just feels like a very limited modular system.
I'm far from the biggest modular user but when I do it I use Voltage Modular, which seems to suit me much better. Personal taste, I guess.

Incidentally Voltage Modular has a big sale this month. Big reductions on the basic systems and also reductions on loads of third party things. I've just bought a big purple chord sequencer. It's very, um, PURPLE.

dusan.cani

04 Nov 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Nov 2023
After trying Phase Plant, I no longer use Complex-1.
Two completely different synths...

Chi-Individual

04 Nov 2023

Tiny Montgomery wrote:
04 Nov 2023
You have a new follower!

On the topic of you tube vids Im thinking of having a go at doing something like this with no talking, what do people use to capture the video and sound on a mac? I had a bit of a go on OBS on my old PC machine but with limted success and i didnt like it at all. At the very least I'd like to capture enough to send to a friend who also uses Reason but doesnt have as much time on his hands as me to experiment.
I use OBS on my MBP with a Presonus Revalator Mic because it has built in loop back for making my videos. Still haven’t figured it out completely though.

ab459

04 Nov 2023

Complex1 good but still not fixed bug with broken self oscillation for LP filter (i did report almost 4 years ago though).
I think exactly after this catch i stopped use it.

What regards his limitations (by complexity etc), in my taste it looks pretty ok, not in critical degree.

Chi-Individual

06 Nov 2023

ab459 wrote:
04 Nov 2023
Complex1 good but still not fixed bug with broken self oscillation for LP filter (i did report almost 4 years ago though).
I think exactly after this catch i stopped use it.

What regards his limitations (by complexity etc), in my taste it looks pretty ok, not in critical degree.
What bug are you referring to? I haven't noticed one yet and may have mistaken it for a design feature.

antic604

06 Nov 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
03 Nov 2023
After trying Phase Plant, I no longer use Complex-1. Shame, there is no market place to sell it.
Weird RS never got to that.

It would definitely liven up the RE market. I've many REs I don't use anymore and would gladly sell for a fraction of the price. And I'd probably buy lots more, knowing I can always recoup some of the money if I didn't liked it. I wouldn't mind if RS and the developer got a fraction of the selling price, too.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

ambi

06 Nov 2023

Chi-Individual wrote:
06 Nov 2023
What bug are you referring to? I haven't noticed one yet and may have mistaken it for a design feature.
I would also like to know. I tried out the LP filter and didn't notice a bug.
antic604 wrote:
06 Nov 2023

Weird RS never got to that.

It would definitely liven up the RE market. I've many REs I don't use anymore and would gladly sell for a fraction of the price. And I'd probably buy lots more, knowing I can always recoup some of the money if I didn't liked it. I wouldn't mind if RS and the developer got a fraction of the selling price, too.
In the end it would mean less money for RS, so I doubt it will happen. I'm actually surprised that you can still transfer your Reason license. I'm pretty sure that option will be removed at some point.

• Information