Now's my chance on Noise Engineering!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gkillmaster

02 Nov 2023

Please recommend your favorite REs. Been wanting to try some out and they are all on sale right now.

I lean away from conventional sounds and always looking for really new and interesting textures and timbres etc...

Thanks for any feedback and enthusiasms you might have on any of these.

dvdrtldg

02 Nov 2023

I don't use a lot of their devices but I love their distortion unit Ruina, and Desmodus is an excellent creative reverb. Even if you already have a million distortion & reverb options, these two are worth checking out

Mataya

02 Nov 2023

I got it all. Delay, Reverb Distortion TOP! Delay can get so weird. Reverb is also very weird. As for the synths, they all do something different off course, but Basimilus is my favorite. Manis is great, but starts to sound kinda the same after the while, or rather to recognizable. Loquelic is the one I use more often then others, after Basimilus. Chorus on all of them is really great. I would love to have it as a separate efx device. I don't understand the filter on almost any of them.
I also have all the old(white) ones and those mono beasts, I can swear have a character of their own.

moalla

02 Nov 2023

So my drumsynth favourite is totaly basimilus, amazing machine!
Paired now with eks ES-01 i was totaly blown away the last hour :cool:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

dvdrtldg

02 Nov 2023

Basilimus is great, but is that the one with five million patches sorted into a dozen folders named after varieties of tea? Too cute by half, guys. Stop wanking and just give us folders for bass/pads/leads/etc

gkillmaster

03 Nov 2023

This is super helpful. Thanks everyone!

gkillmaster

04 Nov 2023

These seem like older plugins. How do these "Iteritas" plugins differ from the instruments in Bundle 1 and 2 that have similar names?
Iteritas.png
Iteritas.png (681.9 KiB) Viewed 7951 times

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2023

I own their two synth bundles. I kind of like their quirkiness, both sound wise and GUI wise, but I do wish their devices would look more different to one another. As it is now I can't seperate between them because they all look the same to me. And the weird names makes it so I that can't remember what any of them was called. So everytime I've reached for one of their devices I just remember that it was "one of those Noise Engineering things". I honestly think I would have used them more if I had bought one synth at a time rather than as bundles. Looking at them now just becomes overwhelming, especially when I don't know which one is which.

I find their synths to be great if you want to play around a lot with modulation and CV struff. But it's hard to make cool patches. It kind of requires that you add constant movement to the sounds to get the most out of them.

My favorite from all of their stuff is their reverb Desmodus. That one sticks out from the bunch and is awesome. That's actually the only one I know the name of too. :puf_smile:

Loque

04 Nov 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Nov 2023
...but I do wish their devices would look more different to one another. As it is now I can't seperate between them because they all look the same to me. And the weird names makes it so I that can't remember what any of them was called. So everytime I've reached for one of their devices I just remember that it was "one of those Noise Engineering things"....
Agree. Same here. :lol:
Reason12, Win10

challism

04 Nov 2023

Their naming and GUI has really turned me off. I don't have any of their paid devices. I have the free ones, of course. I used them all immediately after checkout and that was prettt much it for me. I guess I really didn't care for the sound of the synths or it could be that the GUI turned me off so badly that I just never use them. Ruina is probably their best named device (and easiest to remember) in their entire line because it does exactly what the name suggests. I recently learned here on RT that Ruina needs to be used with a very basic input (think Subtractor monotone presets) for best results. Since learning that about Ruina, I have been absolutely loving that distortion unit. It's great!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DaveyG

04 Nov 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
02 Nov 2023
Basilimus is great, but is that the one with five million patches sorted into a dozen folders named after varieties of tea? Too cute by half, guys. Stop wanking and just give us folders for bass/pads/leads/etc
This forum definitely needs a like button. :clap:

I'd forgotten about their dumb preset naming. Their freebie RE synths have presets in folders named after items of clothing (Gloves, Hats, etc) and also keys on a PC keyboard (Caps. End, PgUp etc). Really helpful... :(
I guess we should be glad we don't work there.

gkillmaster

04 Nov 2023

I like the names. Anything that helps me know less about what I'm doing is welcomed.

Pepin

05 Nov 2023

Imitor is worth trying if you like creative delays. It's one of my favorite effects REs.

gkillmaster

05 Nov 2023

I see that people are talking about a randomize function in the VST3 versions but I've downloaded the trials of all of them and I don't see that in the rack extension versions. Is there a way to do that? Makes me wonder if the rack extension versions are the same as the VST versions...

gkillmaster

06 Nov 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
05 Nov 2023
I see that people are talking about a randomize function in the VST3 versions but I've downloaded the trials of all of them and I don't see that in the rack extension versions. Is there a way to do that? Makes me wonder if the rack extension versions are the same as the VST versions...
I wrote NE and here's their reply about difference. Not super helpful or specific, but good to know:

"Hi Greg,
Thanks for your interest in our software!
There are a number of differences between them; off the top of my head the Rack Extensions don't have the modulation system that the VST3 plugins do, and there are some functionality differences between a few particular plugins (like an extra envelope shape on Loquelic Vereor). The Rack Extensions, of course, have the patching abilities that VST3 don't have.
I hope this helps!
-Markus"

challism

06 Nov 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
02 Nov 2023
Please recommend your favorite REs. Been wanting to try some out and they are all on sale right now.

I lean away from conventional sounds and always looking for really new and interesting textures and timbres etc...

So what did you end up getting?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

gkillmaster

06 Nov 2023

challism wrote:
06 Nov 2023
gkillmaster wrote:
02 Nov 2023

So what did you end up getting?
I didn't get any of them. The sale ended before I could decide. I’ll wait for the next sale. I’m leaning towards getting the VST3 versions though. Imitor and Desmodus were the most interesting to me after playing with the trials.

Supamoose

20 Nov 2023

Just a note of caution on Desmodus. The RE has a bug that means you can't use it in clocked mode which is a pretty major problem in my book. I reported this to NE and they provided the VST version but also said they are not currently set up to fix the RE so its unlikely to be fixed any time soon. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this on here (I think geronimo mentioned it when the RE first came out which suggests its been an issue all along).

• Information