DrwSat76 (Triple Band Saturation) / T2ON

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
turn2on
RE Developer

28 Oct 2023

DrwSat76 Triple Band Saturation

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... aturation/

3-band stereo saturation and width processor, that was inspired by the original hardware effect processor Drawmer™ 1976® (with some additions), that helps to recreate popular sound of the 1970’s.
3 bands of independent saturation and width control have been designed to add a warm and bright sound, and a deep presence to your mix.

Saturation - gradual distortion of the signal, an effect that can change the sound of your mix and tracks, adding a subtle form of distortion that adds harmonics to your signal.
Today, in the era of digital and sterile sounds, DRWSAT76 allows you to add this warm character in a natural way.

3 Bands of independent Saturation effects can help to bring out basslines, adding presence and grit without ruining balance by adding distortion to the top end frequencies. Or enhance the vocals without making the bottom sound muddy.

3 Bands of Width processing creates the extra dimension of the mix from flat wall sound to a 3D experience. You can control Low, Mid and High bands by widening or monogizing them independently.

Each band includes Mute and Bypass buttons, that help to mute some frequency range of the signal, or bypass this band saturation & width processing. 

Density adjust the distortion curve character for your taste and needs (from concave to convex).

geronimo

28 Oct 2023

Good job; a patch selector and that would have been perfect. :thumbup:

motuscott

28 Oct 2023

Great little tool, straightforward, intuitive and bought.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

crimsonwarlock

28 Oct 2023

Being a fan of the Turn2on FX (I have most of them), I'm tempted to get this as well. However, as I'm using my own 3-band overdrive combinator, I'm not sure if this one could or should replace it. So I guess I have to trial it to find out.

Question in point, how long do I have to trial it before the intro sale runs out?
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

turn2on
RE Developer

28 Oct 2023

Intro sale up to the 13 November.
You need to test gradual distortion character on the bands with curve character variations. What it can do for your tasks.

As in our PhatSat saturation fx, this RE also not include patches because we think that Saturation fx needs in manual settings. Patches can not works perfect, as it can be possible for used type of incoming signal at the input
Manual settings, when you use Saturation, is better experience with powerful productive results.

If someone think that RE needs in patch browser, this possible to realise.
But saturation is fx that usually must be used with what you hear for actual type of signal. Ears is main control and creative instrument. So no patches help to search changes of your signal in various ways. So you can use it as shape mutation fx.

crimsonwarlock

28 Oct 2023

turn2on wrote:
28 Oct 2023
Intro sale up to the 13 November.
Thanks for the info. I'll make sure I'll try it before that date and see if it can add something to my tool set.
turn2on wrote:
28 Oct 2023
As in our PhatSat saturation fx, this RE also not include patches because we think that Saturation fx needs in manual settings. Patches can not works perfect, as it can be possible for used type of incoming signal at the input
I absolutely agree. These kinds of FX depend totally on the source material, so presets are basically useless. My 3-band distortion combinator can be saved as patches, but I only use it with the default setting and go from there. By the way, PhatSat is my preferred saturator in my mastering chain :thumbup:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2023

turn2on wrote:
28 Oct 2023
[

3-band stereo saturation and width processor that was inspired by the original classic hardware effect processor Drawmer™ 1976®, popular in the 1970’s.
Read that and scratched my head - you may want to clean that statement up a bit, since the Drawmer 1976 was released around 2019 and is not based on any single “classic” device popular in the 1970s. I would refer/defer to Drawmer’s own statement:

“The 1976 3 band stereo saturation and width processor has been designed to inject character, colour & life into your recordings and live sound in a style endemic of the classic equipment of the 1970's.”
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

29 Oct 2023

On further inspection, I decided to pass on this one for now. My own combinator has a few options that have proven important for my use, that DrwSat76 is missing. Firstly, my combinator has a wider range for the crossover frequencies, although that is not a real showstopper for me. However, my combinator has a solo button for each band, that I use all the time when fine-tuning each band. Yes, muting the two other bands gives the same result, but try switching between bands to fine-tune and have to unmute that band and mute the other one, and it becomes irritating fast. But the most essential thing (for me) that is lacking on DrwSat76 is a dry/wet setting for each band.

So my suggestions for DrwSat76 are (at least) a solo-button and dry/wet setting for each of the three bands. When it gets that, I'll see if it can replace my own combinator :puf_wink:
-------

turn2on
RE Developer

29 Oct 2023

@Selig, yes, really skipped what I must said. I try to write this, but lost in text editions some parts. My fault)
1976 just back to that sound of '70th. Need to fix this.

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2023

turn2on wrote:
29 Oct 2023
@Selig, yes, really skipped what I must said. I try to write this, but lost in text editions some parts. My fault)
1976 just back to that sound of '70th. Need to fix this.
Just so you know, I wasn't calling you out on it - I was hoping to be helpful! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

antic604

30 Oct 2023

Interesting, and looks really good! :clap:

Can this be used as a clean / transparent multiband splitter, i.e. one that doesn't shift phase between the bands? Which technique is used to perform the splits?

EDIT: oh, I see it doesn't have individual per-band outputs so I guess not.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

turn2on
RE Developer

30 Oct 2023

Need some more time to answer what is possible in update.
Not find problems to realise solo, dry/wet and bands outputs at first look at near time

crimsonwarlock

31 Oct 2023

turn2on wrote:
30 Oct 2023
Need some more time to answer what is possible in update.
Not find problems to realise solo, dry/wet and bands outputs at first look at near time
As you are known for listening to your users and implement user requests rather quickly, I'll just grab it now for the intro price and look forward to the coming updates :thumbup: :puf_bigsmile:
-------

motuscott

03 Nov 2023

I ❤️ Turn2on and Reason in general.
Fight me

turn2on
RE Developer

16 Nov 2023

DrwSat76 Triple Band Saturation
Update 1.1.0:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... aturation/

- New switch between default “Linear” and “Parallel” modes
- Parallel mode adds individually to the each band mix control (dry/wet signal). You can add to the processed band signal original dry signal.
- At the Rear panel, under each band CV inputs group, we add DRY LEVEL control
- New SOLO button for each band: Solos the band signal. Only the signal of this band at the output will be heard

challism

16 Nov 2023

Excellent update! Thank you T2On!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

motuscott

16 Nov 2023

Dayum!
T2on never sleeps
I'd like to put in my request for a Beautifier RE
Ready 4 my close up Dr Love

kooshan

11 Dec 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
29 Oct 2023
On further inspection, I decided to pass on this one for now. My own combinator has a few options that have proven important for my use, that DrwSat76 is missing. Firstly, my combinator has a wider range for the crossover frequencies, although that is not a real showstopper for me. However, my combinator has a solo button for each band, that I use all the time when fine-tuning each band. Yes, muting the two other bands gives the same result, but try switching between bands to fine-tune and have to unmute that band and mute the other one, and it becomes irritating fast. But the most essential thing (for me) that is lacking on DrwSat76 is a dry/wet setting for each band.

So my suggestions for DrwSat76 are (at least) a solo-button and dry/wet setting for each of the three bands. When it gets that, I'll see if it can replace my own combinator :puf_wink:
Do you mind share your combinator?

crimsonwarlock

11 Dec 2023

kooshan wrote:
11 Dec 2023
Do you mind share your combinator?
It has been on the forum here for a while now: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7525742
-------

turn2on
RE Developer

22 Apr 2024

Now DRWSAT76 & DRWCMP78 - in new bundle:

DRWSET 3-band Saturation and Buss Comp
29 + 25 = 35 :wink:
Banner Bundle.png
Banner Bundle.png (431.74 KiB) Viewed 565 times
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... et-bundle/

• Information