Kompulsion is glued to ID8

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Surreal Funfair

22 Oct 2023

Hi all,
I updated to R12 not too long ago - and since then, whenever I open Llectric Panda's Kompulsion, Reason's ID8 is attached to it - and it's not possile to delete it without deleting Kompulsion.
Anyone else having this issue? Any solutions? :/

doze

22 Oct 2023

Just drag a new instrument and drop it on the ID8. Or drag your instrument first, and then the Kompulsion above it.

DaveyG

23 Oct 2023

A player *must* have an instrument attached to it so you either have to replace the default ID8 instrument by dragging a new instrument onto it or you can drag a player onto an existing instrument.

I'd love the ability to specify a default instrument for each player. In particular, it would be nice if the drum players started with a drum instrument rather than a piano!

turn2on
RE Developer

23 Oct 2023

Yes, ID8 like a default instrument for Midi data, that loading by default to play midi from players, if you not have instrument in the rack.
So if you drag n drop any midi data to the rack/seq, you also have new track routed to ID8 by default. ID8 = default midi instrument.

joeyluck

23 Oct 2023

Surreal Funfair wrote:
22 Oct 2023
Hi all,
I updated to R12 not too long ago - and since then, whenever I open Llectric Panda's Kompulsion, Reason's ID8 is attached to it - and it's not possile to delete it without deleting Kompulsion.
Anyone else having this issue? Any solutions? :/
Others have already answered this question about player instantiation, but I wonder if maybe you are remembering Propulsion, the utility?

Prior to the current behavior of adding a player by itself to the rack and it creating an ID8 (introduced with R11), you couldn't start by creating a player in the rack without adding it to an existing instrument.

Surreal Funfair

23 Oct 2023

joeyluck wrote:
23 Oct 2023
Others have already answered this question about player instantiation, but I wonder if maybe you are remembering Propulsion, the utility?

Prior to the current behavior of adding a player by itself to the rack and it creating an ID8 (introduced with R11), you couldn't start by creating a player in the rack without adding it to an existing instrument.

true. I have the Propulsion and it doesn't behave like that. Neither does Matrix.

I know a sequencer is useless without an instrument attached to it - but sometimes I want to load Kompulsion as an additional SEQ, let's say for Kong. Kong is already attached to another SEQ and later in the game I decide to have the Snare triggered by Kompulsion in order to have it time shifted (what my other SEQ can't do) - in this case it seems there's no way to get rid of ID8, which is a bit annoying when the backside already is quite cluttered.

Mataya

23 Oct 2023

Propulsion and matrix are not players. Only players behave like that(load ID8 instrument as default), because a player can't be alone in the rack. It needs an instrument first.

M

joeyluck

23 Oct 2023

Surreal Funfair wrote:
23 Oct 2023
joeyluck wrote:
23 Oct 2023

true. I have the Propulsion and it doesn't behave like that. Neither does Matrix.
Yes and like I mentioned, that is because Propulsion is a utility and Kompulsion is a player.

Nothing has changed with the behavior of players, aside from the fact that since R11, you can now load a player without the need to first create an instrument in which to attach it, and it will create an ID8 for you. Before you couldn't start by loading a player without adding it to an existing instrument.

So if you want to use a player as a utility and don't want it to affect the instrument in which it is attached, you can just mute that mix channel or replace the ID8 with the MIDI Out Device or an empty Combinator.

huggermugger

23 Oct 2023

Surreal Funfair wrote:
23 Oct 2023

I know a sequencer is useless without an instrument attached to it - but sometimes I want to load Kompulsion as an additional SEQ, let's say for Kong. Kong is already attached to another SEQ and later in the game I decide to have the Snare triggered by Kompulsion in order to have it time shifted (what my other SEQ can't do) - in this case it seems there's no way to get rid of ID8, which is a bit annoying when the backside already is quite cluttered.
You can stack Players. Not sure what SEQ you're using for Kong, but assuming it's DrumSequencer. In any case, you can stack Players, so you could program DrumSequencer to drive eight Kong drums (by mapping the necessary notes) and program Kompulsion to only drive the Kong snare (again by mapping the necessary note number).

Surreal Funfair

23 Oct 2023

I just started my old R10 and tried it. In R10 it's not possible to load Kompulsion at all without loading an instrument before. But when you add it to a mix channel with an instrument (and hold shift, so it's not connected to anything), ID8 is not attached. In R12 it is attached.
Well, never mind. It seems like it's not an issue but its normal behaviour in R12 - and that's all I wanted to know.

antic604

25 Oct 2023

Surreal Funfair wrote:
23 Oct 2023
I just started my old R10 and tried it. In R10 it's not possible to load Kompulsion at all without loading an instrument before. But when you add it to a mix channel with an instrument (and hold shift, so it's not connected to anything), ID8 is not attached. In R12 it is attached.
Probably because people were complaining that a Player added to a track wasn't playing any sound ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

• Information