Ruina, holy fuq

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mimidancer

16 Oct 2023

I have been a fan of Noise engineering stuff for some time. BIA is a goto in my rack. And I friggin love the algorithms in the microfreak. When Ruina first came to reason I tried it out. I made some crazy noise with the rack extension but it seemed like a little much. Over the weekend I caught a YouTube video with Steven and Kris from Noise Engineering and Steven said He liked a simple sine wave with Ruina. Apparently, I was feeding too many harmonics into that device. With the simple sine wave, it is such an amazing rack extension. I ended up using one OSC from Europa without modulation. Then I routed the cv outs to Runia. Now I sound like I am ready to sit in with NIN. IF like me you sent too many harmonics to this device then said neat and never loaded it again. Give it another go. I hope you guys are well and making the music you love.

dvdrtldg

17 Oct 2023

Yeah Ruina is great. I like to use it with that “reverb tail generator” of theirs - Desmodus is it? Fantastic stuff

Ottostrom

17 Oct 2023

mimidancer wrote:
16 Oct 2023
I hope you guys are well and making the music you love.
Same to you!
Thanks for the tip :) Haven't tried Ruina since that first time (very similar experience as you) so I'll give this a go

antic604

17 Oct 2023

mimidancer wrote:
16 Oct 2023
[...]IF like me you sent too many harmonics to this device then said neat and never loaded it again. Give it another go. I hope you guys are well and making the music you love.
Thanks for this tip! I indeed found it too aggressive / obnoxious initially. Will give it a 2nd chance.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

PhillipOrdonez

17 Oct 2023

Sounds like this could be a great percussion / modular-like noises generator when paired with short sine waves? Gonna have to try it out!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Oct 2023

Thanks. I'm defintely gonna try out some tamer tones on it. I've gotten good results from Ruina a couple of times. But more often than not it's been way too noisy to be useful.

I'll echo what dvdrtldg said about Desmodus. It's awesome. For sure my favorite Noise Engineering device.

joeyluck

17 Oct 2023

Ruina is one of my favorite REs and sound design tools. I am most often using the Doom and Octavise parameters with a little bit of everything else :)

FLVZ

17 Oct 2023

Holy cow you're right, fed it some of my bass patches from VK2 and got lost in the amount of directions I could go. Fed it some basilimus and landed in some sexy sub bass territory. I've discovered an amazing new distortion unit in my rack without shelling out any money haha!

BRIGGS

17 Oct 2023

r11s

challism

18 Oct 2023

Thanks for posting this tip. It actually sounds great on a saw, pulse, and sine wave. I, too, had dismissed Ruina because it was just too harsh and seemed hard to tame, but I guess I was feeding it too much of a signal. Simple signal for best results with Ruina. Got it.

On a separate note, I don't think Noise Engineering did themselves any favors with the strange way they chose to name their devices.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

antic604

18 Oct 2023

challism wrote:
18 Oct 2023
On a separate note, I don't think Noise Engineering did themselves any favors with the strange way they chose to name their devices.
So true! I think I've all of them except that delay / reverb thing (I have to buy it on next sale!) and I never know which should I pick for bass, which for leads, which for drums. Also, I have like 3 versions of "bassimilus" now, FFS.

Or maybe that's the point - most synths can do everything in skillful hands, after all ;)
Music tech enthusiast.

challism

18 Oct 2023

antic604 wrote:
18 Oct 2023
challism wrote:
18 Oct 2023
So true! I think I've all of them except that delay / reverb thing (I have to buy it on next sale!) and I never know which should I pick for bass, which for leads, which for drums. Also, I have like 3 versions of "bassimilus" now, FFS.

Or maybe that's the point - most synths can do everything in skillful hands, after all ;)
I have to add that Ruina is probably the best name of any of their devices.

I've been having loads of fun playing with this fx unit today, just running a simple saw wave from a Subtractor. Seems to sound best with monophonic notes.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

DaveyG

18 Oct 2023

challism wrote:
18 Oct 2023

Yep, really bad names for many of their synths, to the extent that I don't know which one(s) I have and I'm also not a fan of their graphics - they seem to be trying a bit too hard to be wacky/zany/krazeee. :crazy: :crazy:

I tend not to use their plugins but I'm happy to have some of their oscillators in the MicroFreak, and they managed to give them normal names. :thumbup:

antic604

18 Oct 2023

challism wrote:
18 Oct 2023
I have to add that Ruina is probably the best name of any of their devices.
Yes, because it's perfectly appropriate - it literally "ruins" most of the signals you send through it ;)
Music tech enthusiast.

mimidancer

19 Oct 2023

challism wrote:
18 Oct 2023
Thanks for posting this tip. It actually sounds great on a saw, pulse, and sine wave. I, too, had dismissed Ruina because it was just too harsh and seemed hard to tame, but I guess I was feeding it too much of a signal. Simple signal for best results with Ruina. Got it.

Their names are a bit extra. But they are produced with love. You should watch some of their videos. It is easy to see the love that goes into what they make.

selig
RE Developer

20 Oct 2023

challism wrote:
18 Oct 2023
I have one utility module by them in my EuroRack setup and still mispronounce it (or just don’t even try).
Great products, odd naming conventions. It is called “Sinc Defero” and I always call it Sink D'Onofrio!
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

EdGrip

21 Oct 2023

I also find NE's naming and design highly off-putting. But their VSTs won me over in the end.

mimidancer

24 Oct 2023

selig wrote:
20 Oct 2023
challism wrote:
18 Oct 2023
I have one utility module by them in my EuroRack setup and still mispronounce it (or just don’t even try).
Great products, odd naming conventions. It is called “Sinc Defero” and I always call it Sink D'Onofrio!
;)
-fer-ō

• Information