J Chris Griffin Studio Piano in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2023

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Bes
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2023

- Certified Reason expert

Ottostrom

30 Aug 2023

I'm a big fan of the S73 electric piano and have used it in several projects since I got it, so I have high hopes for this one!
It's not like I really need another piano option but if the playability feels right then I will probably get it

jchrisgriffin
RE Developer

31 Aug 2023

Demos are on their way! For now - download a trial. If you like S73 (and the way it plays) you'll probably like this one too. :)

Ottostrom

01 Sep 2023

jchrisgriffin wrote:
31 Aug 2023
Demos are on their way! For now - download a trial. If you like S73 (and the way it plays) you'll probably like this one too. :)
I tried downloading the trial twice yesterday cause I wanted to record a demo and post it here, but it gets stuck at around 2gb :(
Will have to try again today

jchrisgriffin
RE Developer

01 Sep 2023

It's a big download for sure. 2.8gb if I recall. Thanks for blazing through to try it out :).

selig
RE Developer

01 Sep 2023

jchrisgriffin wrote:
31 Aug 2023
HUGE fan of the S73. But honestly, I just got something that beats it. And the only thing to beat that RE is a real Suitcase 73 from 1978 in cherry condition. I'm very happy.
Hopefully this means that if I get the Studio Piano RE, a real piano will soon appear at my studio door… ;)
Can't wait to try it, I'm sure I'll find use for it! And I do still use your S73, just not as often as before as you can probably understand… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ottostrom

16 Sep 2023

Has anyone been able to download this?
I thought it was a disk space issue but after doing some cleaning I still only get to this:
Sucks that my trial will go to waste :(

Loque

16 Sep 2023

Ottostrom wrote:
16 Sep 2023
Has anyone been able to download this?
I thought it was a disk space issue but after doing some cleaning I still only get to this:
Sucks that my trial will go to waste :(
I didnt had any problems. You may contact RS and open a ticket. This 2GB is somehow a "magical limit" if the dev was sleeping while coding...
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

16 Sep 2023

Soooooo... anyone who trialed it care to give some impressions :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Loque

16 Sep 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Sep 2023
I am more a synth guy, but to me it sounds very natural. And the build in reverb can give it a very nice extra sparcle. Since it sounds very natural, i think it is mainly targeted to piano playing ppl. So i can only recomend to try it out, if you are a piano player and are looking for something natural sounding when playing.
Reason12, Win10

crimsonwarlock

16 Sep 2023

Loque wrote:
16 Sep 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
16 Sep 2023
I am more a synth guy, but to me it sounds very natural. And the build in reverb can give it a very nice extra sparcle. Since it sounds very natural, i think it is mainly targeted to piano playing ppl. So i can only recomend to try it out, if you are a piano player and are looking for something natural sounding when playing.
Thanks for your reply. I'm indeed (also) a piano player, that's why I'm interested in this RE. But trialing isn't an option for me yet, as I'm still in rehabilitation for my hand accident (which is progressing well). As there are still no audio demos available, for now, I have to do with impressions from other users :puf_wink:

In another two months or so, I will be able to trial it seriously, which might nicely coincide with Black Friday :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

sycon

22 Nov 2023

So, what is your opinon on this device now a couple of months later? The demo sounds nice. Unfortunately I don't have the time to trial it properly at the moment.

ChulaCoola

24 Nov 2023

Well, I didn't trial it, I watched the video and I bought it on the spot. It is a no brainer It sounds like you are right there at the piano, you hear all the little things. Chris miked a high quality grand piano 8 ways from Sunday, you hear everything you would sitting at the piano.
Music lover/explorer extraordinaire, guitar player fair, and still have my hair at 60.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2023

I must be sleeping under a rock, i didn't see this. Its both super natural and at the same time a lot versatile despite having a single piano.

At the price of the black friday it was a no brainer.

Anyway, for my first thoughts, and its difficult not to compare with other pianos in reason, functionally it stands between the rpi and radikal, but imho sounds way better than radikal. It doesn't have that toyish resonance radical piano has and it gives you control of lots of stuff. I also noticed it has resonance release when you hit the pedal but i don't know yet how it affects the sound while playing. I don't know yet if it will dethrone my favourite patch in rpi but lets see.

I just got the trial last week but since I'm a sucker for pianos inwas planning to make a video on it. Maybe this weekend.

raveled
Competition Winner

28 Nov 2023

Sounds amazing. And the presets are great! Had to get S73 aswell.

Ottostrom

28 Nov 2023

I'm glad to hear that this seems to be another slam dunk by Chris!
It makes me excited to see what the "product under development" is, that he refers to in the description of this device :)

challism

29 Nov 2023

Ottostrom wrote:
28 Nov 2023
I'm glad to hear that this seems to be another slam dunk by Chris!
It makes me excited to see what the "product under development" is, that he refers to in the description of this device :)
I'm a huge fan of Chris' REs. He knocks them all out of the park. I'm excited to see what he's got under development, too.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mcatalao
Competition Winner

30 Nov 2023

Just chimming in... Has anyone looked at the ram comsumption of this piano? It loads almost 4 GB alone, that's the most "expensive" Re in reason. I get it is super dynamic but it is a lot for a piano. Good stuff cames at a price.

I don't "blame" the developer but the fact that reason has never had the possibility to stream from hdd/sdd and dev's have to load the full samples of a patch into memory.

• Information