Kilohearts free Re

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Jackjackdaw

27 Aug 2023

I just noticed all the Kilohearts toolbox Re.s are now free. I was just looking for a reverse delay but ended up snatching loads of them like a greedy kid in sweet shop. Might be fun building some combos .

crimsonwarlock

27 Aug 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Might be fun building some combos .
Like this one viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7532202 :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Aosta

27 Aug 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
27 Aug 2023
I just noticed all the Kilohearts toolbox Re.s are now free. I was just looking for a reverse delay but ended up snatching loads of them like a greedy kid in sweet shop. Might be fun building some combos .
Yep, grabbed them all a while ago but only slightly used a few of them, no a fan of their reverb or chorus but haven't checked out the rest.
Tend the flame

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2023

I like their distortion RE. It can be both make very subtle saturation and also go further. The blend knob is great too.

integerpoet

27 Aug 2023

Aosta wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Jackjackdaw wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Yep, grabbed them all a while ago but only slightly used a few of them, no a fan of their reverb or chorus but haven't checked out the rest.
There's no accounting for taste, then. :-)

I quite like a very small touch of their reverb as a send for generic glue.

And I have honestly been wondering why because — at least superficially — it's very simple.

I wouldn't use it as a simulator because it isn't even trying to model any real space, but…

Maybe from my usual perspective the super-whiz-bang reverbs with a thousand controls and impulse responses and whatnot can just be overthinking.

Aosta

27 Aug 2023

integerpoet wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Maybe from my usual perspective the super-whiz-bang reverbs with a thousand controls and impulse responses and whatnot can just be overthinking.
Well my go to verb is the DR-1 so no bells and whistles here.
Tend the flame

integerpoet

27 Aug 2023

Aosta wrote:
27 Aug 2023
integerpoet wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Well my go to verb is the DR-1 so no bells and whistles here.
What, not RV-7? :-) Now I feel like I should go back to that and see how I like it with however many years of experience.

dvdrtldg

27 Aug 2023

I've never gotten on well with RV-7, no idea why

The kHs effects are excellent no-nonsense bread & butter devices. Multipass makes them especially useful if you have it

Ichooselife

27 Aug 2023

i think the rv7 and rv7000 mk2 are both not for me

i use valhalla supermassive and the synchronus reverb tbh

i can never get used to the controls of rv7000
and i don’t like the metallic sound of the r7

i also have a couple of free waves ones
when you hear a very good reverb

i’m gonna put this in another post

what’s a good professinal beautiful sounding reverb ?

i don’t like paying anymore so preferably free

Popey
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
27 Aug 2023
i think the rv7 and rv7000 mk2 are both not for me

i use valhalla supermassive and the synchronus reverb tbh

i can never get used to the controls of rv7000
and i don’t like the metallic sound of the r7

i also have a couple of free waves ones
when you hear a very good reverb

i’m gonna put this in another post

what’s a good professinal beautiful sounding reverb ?

i don’t like paying anymore so preferably free
If I am honest my most used reverbs are pro r or valhalla vintage verb. Vintage verb is the cheaper option and well worth the price. Pro r is great but expensive.

If on windows and looking for a shimmer reverb try solaris by Adam szabo. Other vsts that are free worth checking out is difficult because supermassive is probably the best imo. Oril river was OK so perhaps that.

dvdrtldg

28 Aug 2023

I don't know any really great free reverbs, but I do know that if you're looking for "professional" and "beautiful sounding", Soundtoys Super Plate is insanely good. You can go from the lightest of light touches all the way up to massive sound drenched caverns and it just sounds beautiful on everything. Sensibly tweakable too, with input filters, output EQ, stereo width control and an auto-decay feature that's very handy

Jackjackdaw

28 Aug 2023

I don’t get on with RV7000 either. there is a an okay stereo plate preset combi in the factory sounds and I have made a couple of decent patches with some Past To Future IR.s But I don’t like the algorithm or the eq on it and the controls are fiddly.

I like the Khrz one for what it is. Grab and go, smooth tail. It pairs well the the Khrz stereo widener. I would use this on a patch that would go into a richer verb on the fx bus.

ljekio

28 Aug 2023

Ringmod, compressor, formant filter and tape from kHz is irreplaceable in my setup

integerpoet

28 Aug 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
28 Aug 2023
output EQ
One thing the Kilohearts reverb doesn't have is an inbuilt EQ. It has a "damping" knob, about which their web site says "high frequencies … decay faster than low frequencies." Maybe they had in mind a common workflow I don't know about. I find myself ignoring that knob and instead slapping on steep filters to accomplish "the Abbey Road trick". I have a preset document for my preferred EQ lying around just for this. It cuts lows as well, of course. If I had a brain in my head, I'd build a simple Combinator and save that instead, right?

integerpoet

28 Aug 2023

ljekio wrote:
28 Aug 2023
Ringmod, compressor, formant filter and tape from kHz is irreplaceable in my setup
I also like their compressor, yeah, but I have a nagging suspicion it's because I'm an idiot. :-)

It's nice to be able to watch the meter and pull down the threshold until you can see it has started to do something.

And then use your ears to tweak all the things until it starts to do what you thought the input needed.

But I feel like a pro does this without the meter.

Jackjackdaw

28 Aug 2023

I think it’s ok to look at the meter. They don’t put meters on for you to not look at them.

integerpoet

28 Aug 2023

Jackjackdaw wrote:
28 Aug 2023
I think it’s ok to look at the meter. They don’t put meters on for you to not look at them.
I once saw a video in which an engineer showed off by demonstrating a compression ear training tool and guessing right every time.

It seems to have scarred me. :-)

Jackjackdaw

29 Aug 2023

I have a compression pedal that I can never remember if the attack knob is 0 on the left or right so I leave it in the middle just to be safe. Lol.

• Information