Are there any REs I should check out before September 25?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2023

So since Reason Studios are disabling their computer authorization for non R12 users like myself and I plan to stick with my R11 offline ways until at least R13 arrives, I have to make any new RE purchases before September 25.

Are their any must-have-REs you guys recommend?
I know it's an unreasonable broad question and I already have a buttload of REs. I can't name them all here of course. I just figured, there's so much stuff in the Shop and I can't try it all. So asking you guys here will at least narrow it down a little bit. Maybe some REs will pop up in many comments and I'll give them a go.

I'm not really looking for anything specific. I'm pretty open to different categories and styles of REs. It might even be good that it's not my typical choice since it might broaden my horizon a bit. My music tend to be pretty varied style wise. I'm more curious if I've missed something really cool from the large pool of existing REs out there.

crimsonwarlock

26 Aug 2023

Skrock's Morningstar is often overlooked, same with SAW-1.

Also, dig around in some topics about "what's your favorite this or that" to find some nice suggestions.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Aug 2023

Also, dig around in some topics about "what's your favorite this or that" to find some nice suggestions.
Thanks.
Would you say these offer something unique? I already have stuff like Megasaur, Legend, Expanse. All can do pretty good saw based stuff. Or are SAW-1 and Morningstar simply the best at it?

crimsonwarlock

26 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Aug 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Aug 2023

Thanks.
Would you say these offer something unique? I already have stuff like Megasaur, Legend, Expanse. All can do pretty good saw based stuff. Or are SAW-1 and Morningstar simply the best at it?
The thing is that SAW-1 has a wrong name. It is actually very good at basically everything analog sounding. It is more in the realm of Obsession. Morningstar is kinda modelled on a MiniMoog, but for me faster to dial in my own sounds. And it has its own character, but again analog-ish. These two synths I tend to use a lot for what they do.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Ichooselife

26 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Aug 2023
So since Reason Studios are disabling their computer authorization for non R12 users like myself and I plan to stick with my R11 offline ways until at least R13 arrives, I have to make any new RE purchases before September 25.

Are their any must-have-REs you guys recommend?
I know it's an unreasonable broad question and I already have a buttload of REs. I can't name them all here of course. I just figured, there's so much stuff in the Shop and I can't try it all. So asking you guys here will at least narrow it down a little bit. Maybe some REs will pop up in many comments and I'll give them a go.

I'm not really looking for anything specific. I'm pretty open to different categories and styles of REs. It might even be good that it's not my typical choice since it might broaden my horizon a bit. My music tend to be pretty varied style wise. I'm more curious if I've missed something really cool from the large pool of existing REs out there.
we can use this as a way of learning
our tools can’t we ? i really don’t wanna mess with my system because like you i don’t intend to upgrade
unless it’s 13 or better and it’s really good and i get a significant discount .

11! till we die !! 😂

ah i hope the days of feeling like we own something is not going my friend , because to have a subscription doesn’t feel better than having a cracked version to me i feel like i don’t own it , i like to look at stuff and feel this is mine!

which i do with reason 11 and now there trying to take that from us.

if i was you i wouldn’t get anything else
unless you know you really need it for the type of music you make

get everything installed smoothly and disconnect from wifi coz like you im gonna try holding on a year at least until i see something great 😀

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Aug 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Aug 2023

Thanks.
The thing is that SAW-1 has a wrong name. It is actually very good at basically everything analog sounding. It is more in the realm of Obsession. Morningstar is kinda modelled on a MiniMoog, but for me faster to dial in my own sounds. And it has its own character, but again analog-ish. These two synths I tend to use a lot for what they do.
Apparently I already tried SAW-1 at some point. I take it it didn't inspire me enough to buy it for whatever reason.
I had a quick go at Morningstar though and scrolled through most of the patches. I think I feel a bit like when I trialed Obsession. Both synths sound good and pleasing to the ears, but for whatever reason most of their sounds simply didn't inspire me to make music. I suspect I'm drawn a bit more to quirky sounds, something with a bit more edge or character to it. It could be though that it's simply the included patches that don't do it for me. That was the case with the Legend. It wasn't until I tweaked my own patches and got drawn in by playing around with the filter and drive knob that I started to really like it. Maybe the more standard type of sounds that these synths are known for isn't for me.

Either way. I don't see me trialing out stuff that I don't end up resonating with a waste of time. It's time spent getting to know my own taste.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2023

Ichooselife wrote:
26 Aug 2023
we can use this as a way of learning
our tools can’t we ? i really don’t wanna mess with my system because like you i don’t intend to upgrade
unless it’s 13 or better and it’s really good and i get a significant discount .

11! till we die !! 😂

ah i hope the days of feeling like we own something is not going my friend , because to have a subscription doesn’t feel better than having a cracked version to me i feel like i don’t own it , i like to look at stuff and feel this is mine!

which i do with reason 11 and now there trying to take that from us.

if i was you i wouldn’t get anything else
unless you know you really need it for the type of music you make

get everything installed smoothly and disconnect from wifi coz like you im gonna try holding on a year at least until i see something great 😀
Yes it's good to learn what we have already. And I've been doing that quite a bit lately, going back to older synths in my rack and making refills with them.

I think if I buy anything before september 25 it probably won't be that many REs, maybe one or two. Maybe none. But still it's a good time to check out and explore some new REs. After all I won't be buying anything new for a while once september 25 has passed.

crimsonwarlock

26 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Aug 2023
Apparently I already tried SAW-1 at some point. I take it it didn't inspire me enough to buy it for whatever reason.
I had a quick go at Morningstar though and scrolled through most of the patches. I think I feel a bit like when I trialed Obsession. Both synths sound good and pleasing to the ears, but for whatever reason most of their sounds simply didn't inspire me to make music. I suspect I'm drawn a bit more to quirky sounds, something with a bit more edge or character to it. It could be though that it's simply the included patches that don't do it for me. That was the case with the Legend. It wasn't until I tweaked my own patches and got drawn in by playing around with the filter and drive knob that I started to really like it. Maybe the more standard type of sounds that these synths are known for isn't for me.

Either way. I don't see me trialing out stuff that I don't end up resonating with a waste of time. It's time spent getting to know my own taste.
I don't take presets as the determining factor anymore, after I skipped Khs One because of the weak presets (before it was free) and after getting it for free and spending more time with it I found it is pretty useful. Besides that, I do like to dial in stuff from scratch ( but I also use presets).
-------

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Aug 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Aug 2023

I don't take presets as the determining factor anymore, after I skipped Khs One because of the weak presets (before it was free) and after getting it for free and spending more time with it I found it is pretty useful. Besides that, I do like to dial in stuff from scratch ( but I also use presets).
Maybe I should have a look at Khs One. I actually own that one. Got it for for free too. But I've spent zero time with it.

crimsonwarlock

26 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Aug 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
26 Aug 2023

Maybe I should have a look at Khs One. I actually own that one. Got it for for free too. But I've spent zero time with it.
It's a modulation powerhouse because each CV input has its own modulation destination selector. It's like a mod matrix on steroids :thumbup:
-------

Aosta

26 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
26 Aug 2023
I've had it since it came out and forgot about it, only recently started playing with it and found it is excellent for bass sounds and high end twinkly things :thumbup:
Tend the flame

dvdrtldg

26 Aug 2023

It's tricky to recommend REs to someone who already has a lot of them. But here are some that definitely offer something a bit different, not sure how useful they'd be for your music but they often find their way into mine (leaving aside marquee stuff like Object, Complex-1, Parsec etc which I assume you've already made up your mind about):

Torsion Texture Lab
Macro Multi-Model synth
Noxious additive synth
Deja Vu delay station
Valley Plateau reverb
Desmodus "reverb tail generator"
Ruina distortion
Runciter filter

.... and anything/everything from Ekksperimental Sounds. I'm slowly collecting their REs and everything I've bought or tried has been fantastic, even stuff I think I don't need like their "vintage" delay/reverb/vocoder bundle. Just pure quality all the way, and especially great for anything dark & dubby

Adam W

26 Aug 2023

It didn't make a giant splash when it came out, but Bassgrid's Mutation Collider is one of my most frequently used REs. I made blank Combi templates each with 4 empty samplers inside (NN-19 or Grain) and knobs assigned to the X/Y movement, and I have a blast using them for pads or to add motion to soundscapes and stuff like that.

I get that it's "just" a 4-way crossfader with some onboard effects, but it's so easy and fun to use. Really great way to breathe new life into whatever old samples you have kicking around, and right now it's only 25 bucks.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -collider/

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2023

I am assuming you have nostromo TritoneAddiction?

If not perhaps wait until nearer the time and demo anything you have not tried up until then (you have nothing to lose if you plan not to buy re's after that date) . There may even be new re's come out in this time frame.

challism

26 Aug 2023

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

huggermugger

26 Aug 2023

The only REs that appeal to me anymore are Players and interesting CV utilities. I use the RRP in an actual DAW called Logic, which has a workflow that isn't designed for amateur beatmakers. Logic's superb instruments and effects plus many exceptional 3rd party devices give me all the sound design power I could possibly want.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
26 Aug 2023
It's tricky to recommend REs to someone who already has a lot of them. But here are some that definitely offer something a bit different, not sure how useful they'd be for your music but they often find their way into mine (leaving aside marquee stuff like Object, Complex-1, Parsec etc which I assume you've already made up your mind about):

Torsion Texture Lab
Macro Multi-Model synth
Noxious additive synth
Deja Vu delay station
Valley Plateau reverb
Desmodus "reverb tail generator"
Ruina distortion
Runciter filter

.... and anything/everything from Ekksperimental Sounds. I'm slowly collecting their REs and everything I've bought or tried has been fantastic, even stuff I think I don't need like their "vintage" delay/reverb/vocoder bundle. Just pure quality all the way, and especially great for anything dark & dubby
I have most of those. Torsion and Deja Vu delay station might be worth checking out. Can't find Runciter filter in the shop. Is it one of those that has been removed?
I've got 7 Ekssperimental Sounds REs, the delay/reverb/vocoder included.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2023

Adam W wrote:
26 Aug 2023
It didn't make a giant splash when it came out, but Bassgrid's Mutation Collider is one of my most frequently used REs. I made blank Combi templates each with 4 empty samplers inside (NN-19 or Grain) and knobs assigned to the X/Y movement, and I have a blast using them for pads or to add motion to soundscapes and stuff like that.

I get that it's "just" a 4-way crossfader with some onboard effects, but it's so easy and fun to use. Really great way to breathe new life into whatever old samples you have kicking around, and right now it's only 25 bucks.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... -collider/
Cool. Haven't looked into any BASSGRID stuff. Might give some of them a try. :thumbs_up:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2023

Popey wrote:
26 Aug 2023
I am assuming you have nostromo TritoneAddiction?

If not perhaps wait until nearer the time and demo anything you have not tried up until then (you have nothing to lose if you plan not to buy re's after that date) . There may even be new re's come out in this time frame.
Yep I have Nostromo. I should try to make a refill with that one at some point. Never made my own patches with it. I know there's a patch generator button, but I think it could be fun to actually tweak from scratch.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2023

Great. I'll give those a shot. See you in 5 years. :puf_smile:

I wonder how many REs there are available in total now. Is there anyway to check, except for counting every single one of them by hand?

crimsonwarlock

27 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Aug 2023
I wonder how many REs there are available in total now. Is there anyway to check, except for counting every single one of them by hand?
Just look in the shop. Instruments section says 270 entries, FX shows 555 entries, and the players section has 61 :puf_wink:
-------

dvdrtldg

27 Aug 2023

huggermugger wrote:
26 Aug 2023
an actual DAW called Logic, which has a workflow that isn't designed for amateur beatmakers
Mrraaoooww :lol:

Still, you have a point

dvdrtldg

27 Aug 2023

TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Can't find Runciter filter in the shop. Is it one of those that has been removed?
Oh yeah of course, it's one of the U-he devices and they're not around any more

A shame, as I'm evangelical about Runciter. It's "just" a filter but super versatile and has a gloriously savage resonance knob

crimsonwarlock

27 Aug 2023

huggermugger wrote:
26 Aug 2023
...in an actual DAW called Logic, which has a workflow that isn't designed for amateur beatmakers.
Yep, if you like making music in a spreadsheet, damn that thing is one ugly mofo :lol: :puf_bigsmile:
-------

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 Aug 2023
TritoneAddiction wrote:
27 Aug 2023
Just look in the shop. Instruments section says 270 entries, FX shows 555 entries, and the players section has 61 :puf_wink:
Cool. I've never noticed that before.

• Information