RE MIDI out?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
DJMaytag

28 Jul 2023

We know that VST’s can’t send MIDI out, so I was wondering if it’s possible for RE’s to send MIDI out?

I had the idea of an RE that load panels, much like the CTRLR VST can, which sends out either MIDI Sysex and/or MIDI CC’s in order to program your external synths as if they were synths in your Reason Rack.

One RE that might be able to used as such right now would be Audiorealism’s ReDominator RE to program things like the Roland MKS-50 and Alpha Juno-1/2. The panel and controls are there, but I assume the dev didn’t have MIDI out in mind.

Is this even possible, or would it have to be done as a Player?

crimsonwarlock

28 Jul 2023

You can already do this with combinator2. There is some of that stuff already in the shop: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/prod ... diblerack/

There were also a few free editors in the shop, but I can't find those right now. You can also dig through the combinator2 subforum here, there might be some examples there too.

EDIT: found a free one in the combinator2 subforum: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7524376
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DJMaytag

28 Jul 2023

There’s no MIDI out of a Combinator though. The point is to send MIDI, be it Sysex or MIDI CC’s, to something like a real Juno-106.

Once Reason has VST MIDI OUT capabilities, then CTRLR will work to do what I want, though I’d rather have a RE right there in my rack to make it easier.

https://ctrlr.org/

robussc

28 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
28 Jul 2023
There’s no MIDI out of a Combinator though. The point is to send MIDI, be it Sysex or MIDI CC’s, to something like a real Juno-106.

Once Reason has VST MIDI OUT capabilities, then CTRLR will work to do what I want, though I’d rather have a RE right there in my rack to make it easier.

https://ctrlr.org/
Isn't that the purpose of the MIDI rack device?

https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason ... s/midi-out
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

DJMaytag

28 Jul 2023

There’s no device available like CTRLR to generate the Sysex or CC’s though.

DJMaytag

28 Jul 2023

I wasn’t aware of this until now, but CTRLR is open source. Anyone care to see if that code could be ported to Reason, either as a player or RE?

crimsonwarlock

28 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
28 Jul 2023
There’s no MIDI out of a Combinator though.
So the people who made those combinators to control external hardware are either delusional or perform some magic :lol:

Why don't you just grab the free example I posted for you, and see how it is done :puf_wink:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DJMaytag

28 Jul 2023

It sounds like sysex isnt currently possible. A codec needs to be written for the MIDI out to use, if you want to do this with a synth like the Juno-106.

DJMaytag

28 Jul 2023

TBH I’d never ever loaded a MIDI Out device until today. Looks kinda cool and it might help send some CV to MIDI CV’s to the VST’s I’m using to send MIDI out to my hardware (Silent Way VST suite). Will have to test that out with what little I have that uses CC’s.

If Reason ever added Sysex out as an option from the MIDI Out device, that would be hella awesome.

rmtcvolte

29 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
28 Jul 2023
TBH I’d never ever loaded a MIDI Out device until today. Looks kinda cool and it might help send some CV to MIDI CV’s to the VST’s I’m using to send MIDI out to my hardware (Silent Way VST suite). Will have to test that out with what little I have that uses CC’s.

If Reason ever added Sysex out as an option from the MIDI Out device, that would be hella awesome.
Have you ever tried a CTRLR panel in Reason? This one (https://ctrlr.org/midi-widget-1-0-vst/) is made for sending out Midi key directly without the need of Midi Out device. As I have not test it, but my guess is that panels for hardware (including sending Sysex) will work the same way.

DJMaytag

29 Jul 2023

I use Silent Way VST suite to get MIDI out of Reason. The VST’s generate their signals as digital audio, and that audio is sent over ADAT to some Eurorack hardware that does the D/A to real world MIDI, cv/gate, analog clock pulses, etc.

I haven’t tried to see if the audio out of CTRLR will work with the inputs of the Silent Way VST’s yet.

DJMaytag

29 Jul 2023

Crap... CTRLR isn't Apple Silicon ready yet.

rmtcvolte

29 Jul 2023

DJMaytag wrote:
29 Jul 2023
I use Silent Way VST suite to get MIDI out of Reason. The VST’s generate their signals as digital audio, and that audio is sent over ADAT to some Eurorack hardware that does the D/A to real world MIDI, cv/gate, analog clock pulses, etc.

I haven’t tried to see if the audio out of CTRLR will work with the inputs of the Silent Way VST’s yet.
I am a little bit confused, why should CTRLR put out audio? It does not work like Silant Way, instead you can choose a midi connection inside the CTRLR panel and send and receive straight in and out the panel that way. Midi out from vst is possible with VST2, but most of the plugin developers let the DAW manage it and dont provide an interface to set up a midi connection by the user.

DJMaytag

29 Jul 2023

rmtcvolte wrote:
29 Jul 2023
I am a little bit confused, why should CTRLR put out audio? It does not work like Silant Way, instead you can choose a midi connection inside the CTRLR panel and send and receive straight in and out the panel that way. Midi out from vst is possible with VST2, but most of the plugin developers let the DAW manage it and dont provide an interface to set up a midi connection by the user.
VST’s have audio outputs, so a CTRLR VST would have an audio output. I thought maybe (as a long shot) that would be how it outputs MIDI, like the Silent Way VST’s do. It probably doesn’t, but either way… CTRLR isn’t Apple Silicon native yet, so I can’t test that theory out.

The MIDI output interface I use doesn’t show up as a port anywhere in Reason. The Silent Way plugins handle all the MIDI data and/or MIDI clock generation. If someone turned CTRL into a RE, then maybe that would be able to send MIDI out to the MIDI in of the Silent Way plugins (like Reason’s MIDI Out device can do).

turn2on
RE Developer

30 Jul 2023

MidiOut have exclusive possibilities to send midi to the selected devices, ports and midi channels, RE not have access to select devices and midi ports with channels as I think. This is priority of Reason core.
Combinator is perfect tool for synths & fx control panels. Support midi CC and NRPN to the selected ports and channels.
Long years of ideas to make possible unities for REs, various midi control devices, fron time before release External midi output device too. All this ideas absolutely not new.

One of real solutions - use VCV Rack 2 Pro VST.
You can easy send by midi out device midi CC commands to VCV rack and resend from it to needed device as sysex signal with some sysex oriented VCV modules.

DJMaytag

31 Jul 2023

I made some panels for the Korg Drumlogue, but there really needs to be 2-way communication between the device and the panel. The patch on the panel doesn't update the device being controlled when you load up a project.

DJMaytag

31 Jul 2023

turn2on wrote:
30 Jul 2023
=RE not have access to select devices and midi ports with channels as I think.
The MIDI Out device has a drop down to select various ports available for MIDI input, and I was surprised to see the inputs of the Silent Way ES-5 Controllers as an option. I don't know why, but those are the only internal VST's that show up with MIDI inputs as an option

Or did you mean that only Reason has the capabilities to select devices and ports, and that it's not something in the RE SDK as an option for a third party developer?

turn2on
RE Developer

31 Jul 2023

Reason SDK not support midi output options like selection of midi devices, channels, CC/Nrpn

Many of old users can remember about midi output wishlist thread at PH forum.. before RS create Midi Out External Device. Nothing mg new, exclude Midi Out for RRP.

• Information