Roland SH101 as a rack?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
RandomNoise

12 Jul 2023

What would you say is the closet rack to the Roland SH101in sound and look?
I find the ES-01 to be the closest, but its not exactly the SH101..

I have many vst which are excellent emulations, but I was wondering if there is any specific rack for that.

And if we are at it, also wondering if there are any close emulations for the Juno and Jupiter.. :lol:

crimsonwarlock

12 Jul 2023

RandomNoise wrote:
12 Jul 2023
And if we are at it, also wondering if there are any close emulations for the Juno and Jupiter.. :lol:
You can grab my free combinator2 for a Juno, runs the free Tal ju-no62 VST inside :puf_smile:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=7526872
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

dioxide

12 Jul 2023

There's the Audiorealism Redominator which is an emulation of the Roland Alpha Juno:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

SebAudio

12 Jul 2023

RandomNoise wrote:
12 Jul 2023
What would you say is the closet rack to the Roland SH101in sound and look?
I find the ES-01 to be the closest, but its not exactly the SH101..

I have many vst which are excellent emulations, but I was wondering if there is any specific rack for that.

It seems the « best » emulations are in VST format so your best bet is to design a Combi ? I know how limited it is for « skinning » existing instruments or FX but I don’t see any other alternatives if you want « closest » emulations in rack format.

crimsonwarlock

12 Jul 2023

SebAudio wrote:
12 Jul 2023
your best bet is to design a Combi ? I know how limited it is for « skinning » existing instruments or FX but I don’t see any other alternatives if you want « closest » emulations in rack format.
That's exactly what I did. Just hit the link I posted above, skinning went pretty successful if I might say so myself :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Aosta

12 Jul 2023

I dreamt of owning an SH 101 as a child, such classic sounds and so versatile :clap:

Tend the flame

robussc

12 Jul 2023

Aosta wrote:
12 Jul 2023
I dreamt of owning an SH 101 as a child, such classic sounds and so versatile :clap:

I had one back in the 80s, the previous owner had built a custom plywood case for it that weighed a ton. I enjoyed it a lot, but without a multitrack (or a band) I ended up selling it to a friend (along with a horrid Korg Digital Drum Machine that Alex Ball recently eviscerated on YouTube lol.)

It taught me the basics of synthesis, so I’m grateful for that.
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

RandomNoise

13 Jul 2023

Yeah, I suppose I can make a combinator preset for one my vsts, but was looking for a native rack. Its a shame we don't see many emulators as racks, I have always thought that Reason can be one of the best platform for that.

RandomNoise

13 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
12 Jul 2023
RandomNoise wrote:
12 Jul 2023
You can grab my free combinator2 for a Juno, runs the free Tal ju-no62 VST inside :puf_smile:
Nice work on this one!! thanks for sharing :clap:

crimsonwarlock

13 Jul 2023

RandomNoise wrote:
13 Jul 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
12 Jul 2023

Thanks for the compliment :puf_bigsmile:
-------

SebAudio

13 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
13 Jul 2023
RandomNoise wrote:
13 Jul 2023

Thanks for the compliment :puf_bigsmile:
Yes ! Your combi is very good ! If only Combi had step buttons and custom widgets…

SebAudio

13 Jul 2023

RandomNoise wrote:
13 Jul 2023
Yeah, I suppose I can make a combinator preset for one my vsts, but was looking for a native rack. Its a shame we don't see many emulators as racks, I have always thought that Reason can be one of the best platform for that.
It should have been ! Right from the start, it seems obvious that the rack would welcome any « real » expander… 1st emulation I remember is PX7 (not counting Rebirth machine). Thanks to Blamsoft, Synapse and JPS we have some « real » HW in the rack but it’s far from what we can have in VST land.

mimidancer

25 Jul 2023

The 101 on Roland Cloud is pretty good. It is like $99 US. I have seen other emulations of it priced around $25. But IMO this could be set up as a combinator with ease with existing reason devices. You could use 4 subtractors into a mixer because you will need to isolate the individual wavs for filter fm. 1 osc on pulse 2nd on Saw 3rd on the triangle. 4th on Noise. And envelop for the filter. Use thors filter so you can FM input all of your waves(you will need to split the signal on the osc out to do this. For the Sequencer You could use Thors or something like Sequences by Robotic Beans(my fav step sequencer in reason). Then map your controls from the combi. I am not an expert but I think you can get all of the functioning from that. For a little more retro feel run the whole thing into an empty UMPF for some sweet tape compression. Make sure you map the osc wav to a mixer and that is the joy of the 101 sound. You can use them all at once or individually. for extra fun results modulate the mixer so the wav out continues to change. The simplicity of 101 is what makes it best, or simply the easiest.
Last edited by mimidancer on 25 Jul 2023, edited 1 time in total.

mimidancer

25 Jul 2023

mimidancer

26 Jul 2023

After I posted I wondered if I could get close. This is pretty close. Tell me if you like it. I ended up using a thor, europa, and two subtractors. The Google link in the combi. Sorry about the backdrop. I phoned that one in. Also, I decided not to hook up the range knob as it is easier to do that from the controller anyway.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oGhxOh ... drive_link
Attachments
SH101 kinda.jpg
SH101 kinda.jpg (89.01 KiB) Viewed 2351 times

Neo

26 Jul 2023

Layers Bundle
Jupiter/waldorf* might be worth a listen..

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/bund ... rs-bundle/
-
Another vote for ReDominator Polyphonic Synthesizer
Roland Alpha Juno 1/2 (JU-1/2)

-
Got D16s LuSH-101.
Softubes 101 sounds/looks great as-well.. on watch list. (Changeable colours awell! lol)
roland-sh-101-ad_jpg.jpg
roland-sh-101-ad_jpg.jpg (307.5 KiB) Viewed 2318 times
:reason: :re: :ignition: Atari 1040ST | R11 Suite 🡭 R12 | i7 | RME

moalla

26 Jul 2023

mimidancer wrote:
26 Jul 2023
After I posted I wondered if I could get close. This is pretty close. Tell me if you like it. I ended up using a thor, europa, and two subtractors. The Google link in the combi. Sorry about the backdrop. I phoned that one in. Also, I decided not to hook up the range knob as it is easier to do that from the controller anyway.

Very nice, the soundmaker I needed tonight :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

mimidancer

28 Jul 2023

moalla wrote:
26 Jul 2023
mimidancer wrote:
26 Jul 2023

Very nice, the soundmaker I needed tonight :thumbs_up:
Thanks. was not sure anyone would even try it.

moalla

29 Jul 2023

Really horny stuff you have made there Mimidancer , it‘s so nice to have a simple acid machine in the arsenal combined with my cheap sounding akai rhythmwolf it‘s a gem, next step get the hardware
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

ekss
RE Developer

18 Apr 2024

The new ES10 is strongly influenced by the 101, it has the same controls (bender has been translated to two wheels). I think it sound close enough for what I wanted; a quick and simple 101 style of synth with the same layout and roughly the same character.

• Information