Pearls - Euclidean Collision Sequencer - by Tonicmint

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Vil
RE Developer

16 Jun 2023

Hello guys,

Pearls is in the shop now.

NoRails_Pearls_front_15.png
NoRails_Pearls_front_15.png (405.02 KiB) Viewed 8023 times

What is this actually?

Pearls is a player type Rack Extension for Reason that incorporates a Euclidean rhythm generator, sequencer, and note mapping functionality.
The rhythm generator utilizes Euclidean rhythms and offers options for random exchanges between empty steps and steps with events. Additionally, it allows for the interaction of two Euclidean rhythms.
The sequencer operates independently and provides unique features for notes, velocities, note length, and note selection.
The note mapping can be configured as a general sequencer mode or an arpeggio mode, enabling the assignment of musical notes to each lane of the sequencer.
Overall, Pearls offers a diverse range of creative options for generating and sequencing rhythms and notes.

I hope you like it,

And dont forget to try before buy.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... sequencer/

Loque

16 Jun 2023

Ah...interesting...just saw something similar for Ableton Live. Nice one! Gonna try it out.
Reason12, Win10

Vil
RE Developer

16 Jun 2023

yeah,
that was one of the inspirational source ;)

TheMiles

16 Jun 2023

This looks incredibly nice! Will trial 100%

Vil
RE Developer

16 Jun 2023

For arpeggio:

Make sure Pearls is running, and you have notes in the note sequencer.... for the first try maybe better if you set the recursion to ON. (A toggle button with 1 and infinite sign in the notemap section)

(This was a reply for a revoked post, but I keep this here, maybe useful)

plesio

16 Jun 2023

Great work, Tonic. 10 min try then buy.

I simply love it.

Greetz
plesio
:reason: R11 Suite & R+, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
Music is that certain noise you can remember three minutes later...and vice versa.

Mataya

16 Jun 2023

Wow! Why the F am I so broke all the time?

My next purchase for sure. Just keep that intro price.

M

dvdrtldg

16 Jun 2023

Nice! At first glance it looks fiendishly complicated, but it's actually more like a big bunch of familiar sequencer/rhythm generator features brought together in one very handy & well designed device. Will try and (probably) buy

Bes
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2023

congrats on another RElease Vil :clap:
- Certified Reason expert

rorystorm

16 Jun 2023

Really liking the aesthetics of the promo videos

Popey
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2023

Vil wrote:
16 Jun 2023
yeah,
that was one of the inspirational source ;)
Really nice device and builds on features above the similar m4l device i own. I will be looking to pick this up if I can afford it before the sept r11 online date.

Faastwalker

17 Jun 2023

Looks excellent. hitting TRY this weekend :thumbup: How long is the into price running for?

arnigretar

17 Jun 2023

Simply beautiful. Instant purchase!
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

w1pl0c

17 Jun 2023

for you chord/arp guys out there… this shit slapps

challism

17 Jun 2023

This is such a great player. I'm in love. Hours of undiscovered surprises waiting to be found. It's simple, yet incredibly complicated. The rhythms this player is capable of producing are pretty mind-blowing. Triplets? Not a problem. Septuplets? No problem. Nonuplets? No problem... and so on. Just adjust "steps" and "events" and playback speed (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, etc). Fine tune the position of the hits with the offset and direction buttons. *Chef's kiss!!*
lets.jpg
lets.jpg (14.58 KiB) Viewed 7743 times
There are many genius features in this device. TonicMint did a great job building it.

I just want to point out this particular piece of genius design.. It's a simple solution to the horrible problem caused by not being able to automate the "play" button on Players. I would love to see all Players that have a play button implement the use of a MUTE button. PLEASE, any Player Devs of a player with a play button, please add an automatable mute button. I love Players, but absolutely hate that the play button is not automatable. So KUDOS! to TonicMint for giving us this simple solution. Other devs, please take note. :)
mtue.jpg
mtue.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 7743 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Dionisio

17 Jun 2023

Hi Vil

A good reason to spend money on another splendid device from you, well done
Forgive my curiosity but why not dotted divisions on steps, am i missing something!?
Sorry for my dumb question...

Thank you

Dionisio

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
17 Jun 2023
This is such a great player. I'm in love. Hours of undiscovered surprises waiting to be found. It's simple, yet incredibly complicated. The rhythms this player is capable of producing are pretty mind-blowing. Triplets? Not a problem. Septuplets? No problem. Nonuplets? No problem... and so on. Just adjust "steps" and "events" and playback speed (2/4, 3/4, 4/4, etc). Fine tune the position of the hits with the offset and direction buttons. *Chef's kiss!!*
lets.
This looks amazing to be sure and I can’t wait to give it a spin, but are you sure it CAN do triplets (three in the space of two) or just three notes quantized to the 16th not grid like all other Euclidean devices?
Same for septuplets etc - if the spacing is not exactly equal between notes you’re not describing triples/septuplets etc., and if all notes fall on the same 16th note grid you’re not getting triplets because they will not fall on the same grid. Hopefully I’m describing this clearly…the basic concept of Euclidean rhythms involves putting all notes on the same grid fwiw. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_rhythm

Just a clarification in the form of a question, because if you CAN do what you describe then things can get very complex and go well beyond basic Euclidean rhythms! But even without this ‘feature’ this looks like a very nice Player worth exploring.
Selig Audio, LLC

gkillmaster

17 Jun 2023

Beautiful tune to show it off!

Vil
RE Developer

17 Jun 2023

Here is an image as a quick answer ;)

7-tuplets.jpg
7-tuplets.jpg (158.75 KiB) Viewed 7652 times

In Pearls you can define the rhythm by cycle length or by step length.

(Pulses mode is just a special case of Euclidean rhythms where the number of steps and events are same. Other modes in Pearls work in the same way, but easier to demonstrate this by the Pulses mode )

Vil
RE Developer

17 Jun 2023

Another example:

cyclevsstep.png
cyclevsstep.png (17.48 KiB) Viewed 7629 times

In the top left:
the cycle length is 4/4 (one whole note) and we have 8 steps in this cycle
so
the length of steps is 1/8
the length of cycle is 4/4 = 8/8

In the top right:
the step length is 1/8 and we have 8 steps in the cycle
so

In bottom top left:
the cycle length is 4/4 (one whole note) and we have 7 steps in this cycle
so
the length of steps is 1/7

In the bottom right:
the step length is 1/8 and we have 7 steps in the cycle
so
the length of cycle is 7/8

Vil
RE Developer

17 Jun 2023

gkillmaster wrote:
17 Jun 2023
The music for the main video and demo songs in the playlist made by turbopage!

Thank you turbopage!

;)

selig
RE Developer

17 Jun 2023

Vil wrote:
17 Jun 2023

(Pulses mode is just a special case of Euclidean rhythms where the number of steps and events are same. Other modes in Pearls work in the same way, but easier to demonstrate this by the Pulses mode )
Ah, so you CAN have triplets, septuplets, etc. So I see some intense polyrhythms in my future… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

challism

17 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
17 Jun 2023
Vil wrote:
17 Jun 2023

Ah, so you CAN have triplets, septuplets, etc. So I see some intense polyrhythms in my future… ;)
I see Vil beat me to the answer (and gave a better one that I would have).
Yes, this thing is a polyrhythm monster!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

turbopage
Competition Winner

17 Jun 2023

Vil wrote:
17 Jun 2023
gkillmaster wrote:
17 Jun 2023
The music for the main video and demo songs in the playlist made by turbopage!

Thank you turbopage!

;)
Thanks to you Vil! Very creative tool
Music Will Save Us

gkillmaster

18 Jun 2023

I believe this is my favorite and most useful purchase since I started using reason some 15 years ago or so with a close second being Complex-1. And they go SO well together. Thanks Tonicmint! Looking forward to see what fun stuff might be added to it, but feel bad saying that cause there is just so much already in it. Anyways, thanks for such a wonderful creation!

• Information