Pearls - Euclidean Collision Sequencer - by Tonicmint

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dvdrtldg

23 Jun 2023

Faastwalker wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Wondering if there is any crossover with Lectric Panda's PSQ-1684? That's another Player device that looked amazing but I never really got my head around! :|
I'm not too well acquainted with Pearls yet, but apart from the fact that they're both sequencers and they both offer various kinds of intelligent randomisation, they seem pretty different. I think Pearls is more feature-rich in the note sequencing department, and it's got the whole Euclidean rhythm thing going on which PSQ doesn't. But PSQ beats it hands down as a creative CV utility. I love just plonking PSQ in the middle of the rack and building big generative systems around it, it's amazing what you can do with just one instance of it

challism

23 Jun 2023

Faastwalker wrote:
22 Jun 2023
selig wrote:
22 Jun 2023

Basically, and one thing I really like about this Player, is you have rhythm and pitch available as separate (or not) elements. You can do things like have a one bar rhythm with 7 notes, playing a 5 note sequence, which gives you an evolving sequence of notes/rhythms that are much longer than either the original rhythm or the note sequence. Basically allows you to come up with something that is not random and also not obviously repetitive both at the same time!

Applications could be to take a melody from your song and construct a second part that plays the melody "de-constructed" or disconnected from the original rhythm. But that's just ONE way to use this device, which is why I see it as so powerful (and with great power comes great responsibility to learn what is actually going on!).
Sounds good. Definitely the kind of thing I like to play around with. Wondering if there is any crossover with Lectric Panda's PSQ-1684? That's another Player device that looked amazing but I never really got my head around! :|
I'd put Pearls miles ahead of PSQ-1684 in the ease-of-use department. Both are capable of Euclidean rhythms but that is where I would drop the comparison. I still don't really get how to use the left side of PSQ-1684, even after all these years (and I have put time into using it). The sequencer/quantizer sections are cool and useful, but the pulse side is still a mystery to me.

I can get instant results from Pearls. PSQ-1684 takes a lot more time, and I often times end up just deleting it and moving on with something else.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

dvdrtldg

23 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
23 Jun 2023
I still don't really get how to use the left side of PSQ-1684, even after all these years (and I have put time into using it). The sequencer/quantizer sections are cool and useful, but the pulse side is still a mystery to me.
If you guys are interested, hydlide did a great 4-part YouTube explainer a few years ago that completely demystified PSQ for me. It's the pre-update version, but it'll still get you started on the left hand side of the device
https://www.reasonexperts.com/psq-1684- ... nsion.html

He then did a later 4-part video that gets deep into the updated PSQ

With the later series he includes a zip file of the patches he created to make the videos (scroll down) https://www.reasonexperts.com/psq-1684- ... eries.html

It's a bit of a time investment, but well worth it if you want to get to grips with PSQ

Kinda weird that we're talking about it in the Pearls thread, but I don't think for a moment that the two should be considered market competitors

selig
RE Developer

23 Jun 2023

After working with Pearls a bit I’ve realized a few things that were not as obvious as they maybe should be. First off, there are really just three main sections - could use a bit of UI ‘clarity’ to better identify this and simplify/clarify the concept IMO as I feel this should have been the first things I ‘saw’ when first working with this otherwise excellent device!

There are a few other oddities such as displays that look like you should be able to click on them (in what I call the “notes” section on the far right), and a display button in the center that shows an overview when clicking on it but instead of allowing a second click to return to the first display requires (I FINALLY figured out) a command/click to do so. All stuff that could easily be updated in the future without affecting any functionality/patches.
Or not, as this device is totally usable ‘as is’ fwiw, just playing ‘armchair quarterback’ here! :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Vil
RE Developer

23 Jun 2023

I forgot to mention, I broke up with my tradition, and Pearls HAS a user guide.. ;)

You can find it here: https://tonicmint.com/wp-content/upload ... _1_0_0.pdf

Few image from the documentation:

The main parts of Pearls:
Pearls_main_parts_01.jpg
Pearls_main_parts_01.jpg (154.88 KiB) Viewed 7874 times

Pages in the user guide about the controls:
guide_page_14.png
guide_page_14.png (108.63 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
guide_page_15.png
guide_page_15.png (138.88 KiB) Viewed 7874 times

Jagwah

23 Jun 2023

Wow this looks amazing :thumbup:

huggermugger

24 Jun 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
23 Jun 2023
I think Pearls is more feature-rich in the note sequencing department, and it's got the whole Euclidean rhythm thing going on which PSQ doesn't.
PSQ definitely does Euclidean. One of the pulse generation modes is Euclidean, though not as elegantly presented in the UI as something like Euclid or Euclidean Rhythms.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 4.15.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-24 at 4.15.42 PM.png (58.4 KiB) Viewed 7803 times

dvdrtldg

25 Jun 2023

huggermugger wrote:
24 Jun 2023
PSQ definitely does Euclidean.
Arrgghh you're right, my bad

Which is weird because I use that Density knob all the time, I'd forgotten that it's Euclidean

Hardly my fault though, it's not like the knob has EUC next to it in capital letters

huggermugger

25 Jun 2023

dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Jun 2023

Hardly my fault though, it's not like the knob has EUC next to it in capital letters
The UI is necessarily fussy, I guess, given the vast range of options on such a small footprint. I find it most useful to visualize Euclidean rhythms, which is why I go to Euclid for my Euclidean thrills.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 10.24.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 10.24.22 AM.png (943.96 KiB) Viewed 7702 times

challism

25 Jun 2023

huggermugger wrote:
25 Jun 2023
dvdrtldg wrote:
25 Jun 2023

The UI is necessarily fussy, I guess, given the vast range of options on such a small footprint. I find it most useful to visualize Euclidean rhythms, which is why I go to Euclid for my Euclidean thrills.
I love Euclid and Euclidean (player). Both are wonderful.

But let's get back to talking about Pearls on this Pearls announcement thread, shall we? :)
And my apologies to Vil for my part in derailing the thread.

Has anybody experimented with stacking two Pearls yet? Or stacking other players with Pearls? Try it.
3.jpg
3.jpg (97.77 KiB) Viewed 7668 times

Faastwalker

27 Jun 2023

I'm going to get it. Will wait for pay day next week .......... if possible. Anyone know when the intro price ends?

Vil
RE Developer

27 Jun 2023

I don't remember exactly, but in this week it will be on intro sale...
Maybe until the beginning of the next week...

crimsonwarlock

27 Jun 2023

I tried it for a few minutes, hooked up to Friktion, and bought it right away just to grab it for the intro price. Even though it will be a few months before I really get to play with it.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

PhillipOrdonez

27 Jun 2023

I really don't want to try this one cause i know I'll get a nice idea going with it and I'll have to buy it cause I'm gonna love it 😂

crimsonwarlock

27 Jun 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Jun 2023
I really don't want to try this one cause i know I'll get a nice idea going with it and I'll have to buy it cause I'm gonna love it 😂
Yep, that's what happened to me :lol:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

challism

28 Jun 2023

I love this patch! Put it in dynamic (arp) mode and run some 7 or 8 note chords through it. Sounds great with some E-piano.
chance motif.jpg
chance motif.jpg (87.63 KiB) Viewed 6355 times

Vil
RE Developer

29 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
25 Jun 2023
And my apologies to Vil for my part in derailing the thread.
absolutely no problem. There aren't hundreds of REs in this topic, and nice from you guys to coming up with them. Every of them has own uniqueness.
challism wrote:
25 Jun 2023
Has anybody experimented with stacking two Pearls yet? Or stacking other players with Pearls? Try it.
oh yes, pairing Pearls with other players is really fun (in my biased opinion ;) )

My favorite combination (of course :) ) Pearls - ScaleMatrix - Pearls,

but here is another example with Chord Sequencer:

selig
RE Developer

29 Jun 2023

Vil wrote:
23 Jun 2023
The main parts of Pearls:
Pearls_main_parts_01.jpg
I'm 100% loving this but this approach would have been welcome in the UI, as understanding this basic concept took me far longer than it should have IMO (or maybe I'm just getting old…):
Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 1.44.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 1.44.09 PM.png (270.09 KiB) Viewed 6266 times
Selig Audio, LLC

sdst
Competition Winner

29 Jun 2023

bought this

it would be nice a shuffle knob, and in the velocities section be able to see the ones that are in use

crimsonwarlock

29 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
29 Jun 2023
I'm 100% loving this but this approach would have been welcome in the UI, as understanding this basic concept took me far longer than it should have IMO (or maybe I'm just getting old…):
That explanatory image with the interface zones came straight from the user manual :puf_wink:
-------

challism

29 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
29 Jun 2023
selig wrote:
29 Jun 2023
That explanatory image with the interface zones came straight from the user manual :puf_wink:
What the heck is a schuser schmanual?

DaveyG

30 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
29 Jun 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
29 Jun 2023

It's like a YouTube video but much quicker and with no egos involved.

crimsonwarlock

30 Jun 2023

DaveyG wrote:
30 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
29 Jun 2023

It's like a YouTube video but much quicker and with no egos involved.
:lol: :thumbup:
-------

dvdrtldg

30 Jun 2023

Vil wrote:
29 Jun 2023
My favorite combination (of course :) ) Pearls - ScaleMatrix - Pearls,
Having just bought Pearls and Scale Matrix, I'd love to see a video of how you use these together! I'm having fun with Scale Matrix but wish there was a manual, as I know I'm not using it to anything like its full potential

• Information