Summer Bash Sale (slowly emerging)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
crimsonwarlock

22 Jun 2023

MrFigg wrote:
22 Jun 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Jun 2023
This sale, so far, I bagged...

- JP Steerpike, rounding out my delays selection.
- JP the Animus, as I didn't have a shimmerverb yet.
- Kuassa Lancaster, the only one amp I didn't have but still wanted. I was waiting for a sale on this one.
- Pads the big box, you can never have too much pads.
- MIDI compressor, nice for some more control, and it is dirt cheap right now.
- Velocity Curve, same as midi comp, but it's a player.
- Analog Sequencer, been eying it for quite some time to do some more early TD-ish stuff.

Still thinking about...

- Auto X compressor, but not sure if I have a use case for it (that I don't have a comp for already).
- Red Queen EQ, same dilemma. But I got Black Knight EQ before, thinking well why not, and it is now my most used EQ.
You're still thinking about the Harpsichord. I sense a disturbance in the Force.
Nooooo.... I'm strong, I can resist... Repeat with me, I'm strong, I can resist.. :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

jam-s

22 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Jun 2023
MrFigg wrote:
22 Jun 2023

You're still thinking about the Harpsichord. I sense a disturbance in the Force.
Nooooo.... I'm strong, I can resist... Repeat with me, I'm strong, I can resist.. :puf_bigsmile:
Resistance is futile - the Borg. :twisted:

crimsonwarlock

22 Jun 2023

Did some reading on Red Queen, decided I don't need it.

Now, can someone tell me why I need or don't need Auto X compressor :puf_bigsmile:
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

moalla

22 Jun 2023

What’s your experience with Synapse RE-160 comp people. I still own Lindell Audios 7x500 fet for drums and Softubes Fet, the MC DSP bundle and C1L1 but I’m searching for a nice vocal compression where for example the softube can’t give the smoothness I’m looking for, does Synapses emulation are get close to the dbx 160A sound?
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

crimsonwarlock

22 Jun 2023

moalla wrote:
22 Jun 2023
What’s your experience with Synapse RE-160 comp people. I still own Lindell Audios 7x500 fet for drums and Softubes Fet, the MC DSP bundle and C1L1 but I’m searching for a nice vocal compression where for example the softube can’t give the smoothness I’m looking for, does Synapses emulation are get close to the dbx 160A sound?
It is on my default vocal chain, right after MooTube. Serial compression with these two is smooth as butter :puf_smile:
-------

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Jun 2023
moalla wrote:
22 Jun 2023
It is on my default vocal chain, right after MooTube. Serial compression with these two is smooth as butter :puf_smile:
That’s the only Synapse thing I don’t have. Completist in me says buy it. The guy who knows that I already have a million compressors already and still only use RE-2A says nah.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

22 Jun 2023

MrFigg wrote:
22 Jun 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Jun 2023

That’s the only Synapse thing I don’t have. Completist in me says buy it. The guy who knows that I already have a million compressors already and still only use RE-2A says nah.
It is basically the opposite of RE-2A. I use MooTube because I don't have RE-2A. If I did, my vocal chain would be RE-2A into RE160 :puf_wink:

RE160 is in the same league as RE-2A for being the only RE compressor with “that” character. I'd say they are extremely complementary :thumbup:
-------

moalla

22 Jun 2023

RE-160 "sounds" really nice (it does not add colouring to the signal) :thumbs_up: , especial its gain cv out is a big game changer when you play with BZR-1 for machine generated sound scapes.
Indeed tried mootube with the synapse comp behind and it´s creamy, so now I can understand why a lot of electronic music makers are so crazy with this old dbx design for the finmal touch, well made synapse.

So I have no needs now for a relativly expensive distressor plug, for mastering I still use the kratos maximizer or hornets syncpressor what is as well a unexpenisve gem when at sale.
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

dvdrtldg

22 Jun 2023

I like RE-160 but I really wish it had a HPF for the input (which is why I prefer the Waves version, which has this feature)

I wasn't going to buy anything in this sale but somehow I blacked out and then when I woke up again, I had

Pearls
Champagne Supernova
Algoritm
Complex-1
BV-X Vocoder
Retrazoo Delay

Also seriously considering Valley Plateau reverb, ScaleMatrix and DRUMSYN/SYNR drum synths. Those are on the "Do I really need these?" list

moalla

22 Jun 2023

I can only recommend valley plateau, i still own it and made a comparison with synapses dr1 and it´s sounding comparable, at least better and you can mangle sounds in a way i never discovered in that way before. If you want thicken up your voices in a modular way, this effect is yours, quiet in a way like the MS-2 synth can transform a signal with it´s build in effect chain.

crimsonwarlock

23 Jun 2023

moalla wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Indeed tried mootube with the synapse comp behind and it´s creamy, so now I can understand why a lot of electronic music makers are so crazy with this old dbx design for the finmal touch, well made synapse.
DBX comps are very nice for vocals, that's why my vocal chain starts with a hardware DBX comp (286s vocal processor). In the box, I also have Selig Leveler before MooTube and RE160. Anything vocals I throw at this setup comes out great. That is, if the vocals are worth anything :puf_bigsmile:
-------

selig
RE Developer

23 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Jun 2023
They are BOTH players, MIDI Comp is an essential device IMO!
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

23 Jun 2023

selig wrote:
23 Jun 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
22 Jun 2023
Yep, I overlooked that. But both are still nice to have as they seem to function a bit differently :puf_smile:
-------

strangers
Competition Winner

23 Jun 2023

MrFigg wrote:
22 Jun 2023
:lol: I'm in the same boat. I 100% don't need another compressor but for $9 I'm tempted to grab the Synapse comp. Going to try and avoid the Reason shop until next week to avoid buying anything unnecessary. Can't make any promises.

crimsonwarlock

25 Jun 2023

Final purchases this sale: parafilter sequencer, arkus user knobs and extreme dynamics comp. No money left, but happy with the new toys :puf_bigsmile:
-------

challism

25 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Jun 2023
selig wrote:
23 Jun 2023

Yep, I overlooked that. But both are still nice to have as they seem to function a bit differently :puf_smile:

Isn't MIDI Compressor basically doing the same thing as Velocity Curve (more or less)? Which is limiting how high the note velocity can go. I thought so, anyway, when I trialed them both at the same time. I ended up going with Velocity Curve because of the beautiful GUI.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
25 Jun 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
23 Jun 2023

Isn't MIDI Compressor basically doing the same thing as Velocity Curve (more or less)? Which is limiting how high the note velocity can go. I thought so, anyway, when I trialed them both at the same time. I ended up going with Velocity Curve because of the GUI.
Yep- Same.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

crimsonwarlock

25 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
25 Jun 2023
Isn't MIDI Compressor basically doing the same thing as Velocity Curve (more or less)? Which is limiting how high the note velocity can go. I thought so, anyway, when I trialed them both at the same time. I ended up going with Velocity Curve because of the GUI.
They basically do the same thing, but the approach slightly differs afaics. MIDI compressor seems good to quickly dial in, while Velocity Curve seems aimed at more surgical stuff. But what do I know, as I can't use them right now anyway. However, I like to have options, that's why I bought another compressor while I have almost every compressor in the shop already :lol:
-------

Iggster

26 Jun 2023

Hi guys, a few of you have mentioned MIDI Compressor and the Velocity Curve rack extensions.

Just wondered if either of these will allow you to overdub the velocity information of a MIDI clip you’ve already recorded in real-time using a MIDI controller, eg. the mod wheel?

I’m away with work at the moment so not around to try the demos but would love to know before the sale ends (or any other RE that does this if these don’t).

Steedus
Competition Winner

26 Jun 2023

Grabbed Ekss Janus as I'm always "making do" with other phasers. Apparently in another life I had already trialled it so had to just buy it blind.

Was pretty tempted to also grab Auto X Comp but exchange rate doesn't favour the Aussie dollar and it put it into the "hmm I really shouldn't be spending $50 on a whim right now" category, haha.

crimsonwarlock

27 Jun 2023

Steedus wrote:
26 Jun 2023
Was pretty tempted to also grab Auto X Comp but exchange rate doesn't favour the Aussie dollar and it put it into the "hmm I really shouldn't be spending $50 on a whim right now" category, haha.
Same here. The eks stuff is rather pricey and with the Euro markup they are expensive even on sale. The sale price of Auto X comp is close to 60$ here, so no go for me as well. The normal eks pricing is way too expensive tmo.
-------

Steedus
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2023

Also on the Auto X Comp, I haven't tried it, but I imagine it could sort of double as the Vintage HP Filter right, (without the peak setting ofcourse) ? ie: if you set the compressor so it's not actually doing anything, and solo the high band it would be somewhat like using the HP Filter 1012? That would be a bit of a bonus.

crimsonwarlock

27 Jun 2023

Steedus wrote:
27 Jun 2023
Also on the Auto X Comp, I haven't tried it, but I imagine it could sort of double as the Vintage HP Filter right, (without the peak setting ofcourse) ? ie: if you set the compressor so it's not actually doing anything, and solo the high band it would be somewhat like using the HP Filter 1012? That would be a bit of a bonus.
I won't buy a comp to get a high pass filter :lol: Especially when there are great free options like this one https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ow-filter/
-------

Steedus
Competition Winner

27 Jun 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
27 Jun 2023
Steedus wrote:
27 Jun 2023
I won't buy a comp to get a high pass filter :lol: Especially when there are great free options like this one https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ow-filter/
Ha, well the HP/LP Filter 1224 has also been on my watchlist .. Might be trying to convince myself I'd kill 2 birds with 1 device, so to speak :puf_wink:

ambi

27 Jun 2023

Was The Legend from Synapse Audio ever on sale?

• Information