Polar Madness

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BRIGGS

06 Jun 2023

I was using Polar for standard pitch shifting duties, but it can really transform factory loops!

Try doing pitched shifted ghost notes, using loop mode. The loop length and delay time can add strange grooves. Also try using dissonant intervals like flatted 2nd/5ths for weirdness. Try also, in conjunction with sugar bytes looperator, for even more variety. Also, try Audiomatic....etc......

This video helped as a spring board, to get me down the rabbit hole:

You can spend hours doing this by just loading up different loops, other fx, and messing with parameters.

Fun times. :puf_smile:
r11s

challism

06 Jun 2023

This is cool. Thanks for posting it. I have been underwhelmed with Polar since I got it and it hasn't gotten much use from me. My biggest complaint with it is the latency. But maybe this technique will bring some inspiration.

You could even record your "Polar jam" directly into Grain or Mimic (sample button) for more experimentation.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

moneykube

06 Jun 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
06 Jun 2023
This video helped as a spring board, to get me down the rabbit hole:
nifty tips... I like :thumbs_up:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Aosta

07 Jun 2023

Nice video! :thumbup:

Just did this set up but then added Objeckt and hooked the Polar to the external in, some great sounds and textures coming out...I'm going to go play and might be some time :D
Tend the flame

Jagwah

07 Jun 2023

Cool I have had great fun using Polar on drums before especially with stutters and what not. Will check out the video, cool thread!! :thumbup:

Faastwalker

08 Jun 2023

Cool. I need to give Polar some more love ............... along with who knows how many other RE's I've gotten hold of and not given the time to.

DaveyG

08 Jun 2023

The video is interesting but I'm not really wowed by any of the noises he makes.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2023

I got Polar the week it came out and never used it. Might take another look but there’s better pitch shifters with less latency.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

BRIGGS

08 Jun 2023

DaveyG wrote:
08 Jun 2023
The video is interesting but I'm not really wowed by any of the noises he makes.
same here...

I'm more impressed by the possibilities/implications.
r11s

BRIGGS

08 Jun 2023

MrFigg wrote:
08 Jun 2023
I got Polar the week it came out and never used it. Might take another look but there’s better pitch shifters with less latency.
I don't use it anymore for normal pitch shifting.

It's better at weird stuff. And, the latency just adds to the weirdness.
r11s

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Jun 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
08 Jun 2023
MrFigg wrote:
08 Jun 2023
I don't use it anymore for normal pitch shifting.

It's better at weird stuff. And, the latency just adds to the weirdness.
They got me with the Wes Montgomery video.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

08 Jun 2023

I kind of hit a wall with Polar a while ago, but hadn't considered the possibilities of just going nuts with it, recording the audio and then recycling it. Will have a play around today

Polar imo is one of those devices that really come into their own when you push them beyond the boundaries of "normal" music

challism

08 Jun 2023

Jagwah wrote:
07 Jun 2023
Cool I have had great fun using Polar on drums before especially with stutters and what not. Will check out the video, cool thread!! :thumbup:
I've never tried it for drum stutters. That could be interesting.
DaveyG wrote:
08 Jun 2023
I wasn't wowed either. Not sure that any of us were. In fact, if the video wowed you, I would be wowed by that. But... I'll bet you can wow your self by playing around with this technique on your own.
dvdrtldg wrote:
08 Jun 2023
I kind of hit a wall with Polar a while ago, but hadn't considered the possibilities of just going nuts with it, recording the audio and then recycling it. Will have a play around today

Polar imo is one of those devices that really come into their own when you push them beyond the boundaries of "normal" music
I'm going nuts anyway.. might as well take Polar along for the ride.

dvdrtldg

08 Jun 2023

Aosta wrote:
07 Jun 2023
Just did this set up but then added Objeckt and hooked the Polar to the external in, some great sounds and textures coming out.
YES

Can recommend. And it works really well with loops that aren't instrumental, like field recordings

Jagwah

09 Jun 2023

challism wrote:
08 Jun 2023
Jagwah wrote:
07 Jun 2023
Yes man Polar is great fun with stutters. You could have a stutter that speeds up, goes from 1/4 to 1/8th to 1/16th, and also have a polar pitching / moving it down so it's like it is going backwards and forwards at the same time! And many other disturbing ideas! :twisted:

BRIGGS

09 Jun 2023

MrFigg wrote:
08 Jun 2023

Try a compressor to even out the signal, going into Polar.
r11s

MrFigg
Competition Winner

09 Jun 2023

BRIGGS wrote:
09 Jun 2023
MrFigg wrote:
08 Jun 2023

Try a compressor to even out the signal, going into Polar.
Thanks. Will do.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

arnigretar

09 Jun 2023

Ah the good old Polar. Welcome back to the conversation old pal.
https://futuregrapher.bandcamp.com/

Reason 12, Ableton Live 10 Suite, Roland Cloud, Arturia V9, Korg Legacy 3, Soundtoys 5, Waves Mercury, Sonic Charge Bundle, N.I.: Massive, Reaktor 6, FM8. + a lot of Hardware. Windows 7/10.

turn2on
RE Developer

09 Jun 2023

Polar as dual pitch-shifter with locking buffer, was been a pretty awesome when was been released.

In the way of Polar, when I tried guitar pedal Catalinbread "Coriolis Power", I just have idea to create "Coriolis Force" RE, dual pitch-shifter with buffer Hold and filtering variations.
So, this kind of devices with Hold signal and processing it in various way - is ideal sound-crackers for drum loops and other sounds, from vocal up to synths.. total Drooones...))

some synth drone with filtering

loop hold drones (subs from kick, etc)

challism

09 Jun 2023

Jagwah wrote:
09 Jun 2023
challism wrote:
08 Jun 2023

Yes man Polar is great fun with stutters. You could have a stutter that speeds up, goes from 1/4 to 1/8th to 1/16th, and also have a polar pitching / moving it down so it's like it is going backwards and forwards at the same time! And many other disturbing ideas! :twisted:
Ggggg gg gg ggg good iddd d dd ddd ddea

turn2on wrote:
09 Jun 2023
In the way of Polar, when I tried guitar pedal Catalinbread "Coriolis Power", I just have idea to create "Coriolis Force" RE, dual pitch-shifter with buffer Hold and filtering variations.
So, this kind of devices with Hold signal and processing it in various way - is ideal sound-crackers for drum loops and other sounds, from vocal up to synths.. total Drooones...))
+1 for Coriolis

• Information