Best Remoteable Sequencer and Drum Players

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
dioxide

28 May 2023

What are the best Players out there that have good Remote mapping? I need things like Step On/Off, a playback light, perhaps even velocity levels. The Players I have only have very basic Remote mapping and I think I don't have any that allow even toggling steps on and off.

The best device in Reason by far for this is Redrum, but obviously it is designed for drums. The non-Player devices are better but not by much. I wondered if the Retouch devices can do this but the Remote files don't look promising.

Why is Remote support so bad for Players and Sequencer devices? No wonder everyone is using Ableton or hardware.

Jackjackdaw

28 May 2023

I think you answered your own questions. The players are not very remotable. If buttons are your thing, buy hardware.

dioxide

28 May 2023

Players can be Remoteable though, it's just that devs aren't adding the capability. Redrum is actually very good at this but it's more or less alone.

buddard
RE Developer

29 May 2023

dioxide wrote:
28 May 2023
Players can be Remoteable though, it's just that devs aren't adding the capability. Redrum is actually very good at this but it's more or less alone.
It works better with Redrum because it isn’t an RE, so it has capabilities that are not currently possible with the RE SDK. So it’s not a matter of RE devs neglecting to add
Remote support.

dioxide

29 May 2023

buddard wrote:
29 May 2023
dioxide wrote:
28 May 2023
It works better with Redrum because it isn’t an RE, so it has capabilities that are not currently possible with the RE SDK. So it’s not a matter of RE devs neglecting to add
Remote support.
I know there are some things that non-RE native devices can do that the RE devices can't. But are Remoteable step buttons one of those things? I'd have thought it would be possible to have a current step playing Remote output light as well.

EDIT: Actually this came up when I was searching for a solution to this yesterday. The RB Euclidean Player has a Force Step command that acts as a step on/off button. So unless I'm mistaken it shows it is possible. It's the only Player that I'm aware of that can do this through, although as far as I know that's only because other Devs didn't see that it was worth adding rather than a limitation of the SDK.

buddard
RE Developer

30 May 2023

dioxide wrote:
29 May 2023
buddard wrote:
29 May 2023

Remote support.
I know there are some things that non-RE native devices can do that the RE devices can't. But are Remoteable step buttons one of those things? I'd have thought it would be possible to have a current step playing Remote output light as well.

EDIT: Actually this came up when I was searching for a solution to this yesterday. The RB Euclidean Player has a Force Step command that acts as a step on/off button. So unless I'm mistaken it shows it is possible. It's the only Player that I'm aware of that can do this through, although as far as I know that's only because other Devs didn't see that it was worth adding rather than a limitation of the SDK.
You can do it if you skip having multiple patterns in the device, and It seems that a significant majority of users prefer patterns over remotable step buttons.

electrofux

30 May 2023

The issue is that IF you want to have multiple patterns the number of remotable items multiplies by the number of patterns. Now i dont think there is a Limit to the number of remote items in REs but i am not sure. It is a bit more complicated to program remote codecs with another item multiplier but it is doable if you can keep track of your arrays. So if it was about me i could live with remote items in the thousands.

Redrum and Thor as native devices have the ability to "overload parameters (someone called it like that), where a knob can control more than one parameter at a time depending on the setting of another knob. Like the step rotaries of thor control velocity or gate depending on the edit knob. This reduces the number of remote items needed.

So Thor and Redrum are very good for Remote. I personally use Step Note Recorder as it is also fully remotable and a very comprehensive sequencer- if not the best anyways. ChordSQ if i remember correctly is also very good.

My suggestion would be to compromise and make the first pattern of Re devices remotable and leave out the rest.

buddard
RE Developer

31 May 2023

electrofux wrote:
30 May 2023
The issue is that IF you want to have multiple patterns the number of remotable items multiplies by the number of patterns. Now i dont think there is a Limit to the number of remote items in REs but i am not sure. It is a bit more complicated to program remote codecs with another item multiplier but it is doable if you can keep track of your arrays. So if it was about me i could live with remote items in the thousands.
There's a limit of 1024 properties that can be declared for an RE, so if you want many steps and/or properties per step, it might not be feasible to store them in discrete properties, especially with multiple patterns. Instead it has become more common to encode pattern data in string properties.

electrofux

07 Jun 2023

buddard wrote:
31 May 2023
electrofux wrote:
30 May 2023
There's a limit of 1024 properties that can be declared for an RE, so if you want many steps and/or properties per step, it might not be feasible to store them in discrete properties, especially with multiple patterns. Instead it has become more common to encode pattern data in string properties.
Does that mean more than 1024 remotable parameters are not possible or a mad amount to implement?

buddard
RE Developer

07 Jun 2023

electrofux wrote:
07 Jun 2023
buddard wrote:
31 May 2023

Does that mean more than 1024 remotable parameters are not possible or a mad amount to implement?
1024 is the maximum amount of properties you can have in a Rack Extension, remotable or not.

mimidancer

16 Jun 2023

My optimistic hope is that players have not been given remote capabilities because they are secretly working on a sequencer/midi overhaul. Though my optimism is often rewarded with disappointment.

• Information