Objekt has arrived!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MuttReason

11 May 2023

OK, spent a couple of hours playing with this new beast. First impressions....

1) The drum and tuned percussion patches are extraordinary. Beautifully done and completely convincing solo let alone in a mix. Not sure I'll be using multisamples for congas, marimbas etc in future, Objekt absolutely nails these - they really do sound like acoustic instruments with all of the micro-nuances through different velocity levels plus mod wheel. Well worth the price of admission alone IMO, drums/tuned percussion are brilliant on this thing.

2) There are some great bass and EP/Rhodes patches in here. Not exactly authentic but they feel very alive playing them, I can see lots of ways in which I'd use Objekt in place of a piano RE/plugin for a slightly quirkier sound.

3) Pads patches are pretty massive. But TBH Reason has so many good options for big complex and evolving pads that Objekt is less of a unique thing here, for me... but still, they sound great.

4) I think it's time for a new MacBook. I'm on an Intel MacBook Pro (2018 model) which normally just shrugs off anything I throw at it in the Reason DAW... but some of these patches are loading over 30% of CPU in a *single* instance of Objekt when I play a big fat 6-note chord. Gulp. No surprise really... complex modelling is computationally intensive I guess. Good job we now finally have the native M1 build out because I think I'm now that much closer to jumping on the M1/M2 bandwagon.

5) This is not a simple synth to dial in a patch from scratch from an init/device reset state without a lot of manual-diving. I love doing my own sound design, and one of my tests with every new synth is to work out how far I can get without needing to RTFM. Answer with Objekt (so far) is I can get to semi-melodic clankiness pretty quickly but I'd need to spend a lot of time with the manual and reverse-engineering a bunch of patches to work out how to fly round this thing like I can most other Reason devices. This ain't your grandma's two-oscillator subtractive synth, put it that way. Looking forward to an epic Ryan Harlin walkthrough vid for this one.

TL;DR - wow.

bjmatt

11 May 2023

Thank you so much RS! I hope you don't mind the comparison, but I always hoped someone would create a worthy competitor to Logic Sculpture and for me Objekt does the job and more. 🙏 Getting beautiful "Trifonic - Parks on Fire" vibes with the Exciter noise modulated by the Curve and LFOs.

Popey
Competition Winner

11 May 2023

First impressions for me are very good and i will be buying it.

Just made one patch so far and certainly travelled into some weird places trying the different controls (Watching Ryan's vid this morning certainly helped). Ended up making a edm/techno style rolling bass which changes as you turn on the other objects.

Add a noise source for some edm percussion or use the mod wheel for more grit

Thought i would share if anyone likes this type of thing. Combi includes pump re (i know you cannot get it anymore) so there is also just the patch which you can sidechain to a kick. Created using 1 bar of c1 16notes.
Objekt Patch & Combi.zip
(7.53 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

Fraxis

11 May 2023

Really impressed with this! Was expecting it to be something we didn't need at all when it was announced, especially as I had Resonans. But there's a huge amount going on! I'm particularly liking the acoustic guitars.

A few thoughts and questions for RS and in general though:

- Wa a Unison mode ever considered? Or would it have been to processor-intensive?
- As there s no Unison, I was disappointed that there was no chorusus/flanger/phaser/unison option in the FX to thicken the sound a bit more. As the FX module in in recent RS devices are becoming very standardised,I think it would be good if what was in them was consistent. Or at least that there were a guaranteed 5 or 6 slots where you could pick what you liked out of all the ones that have featured in those recent devices so far, as they're already coded. I know I can add chous etc. to the output, but it's not the same as putting it into the correct position in the FX chain. Even an FX insert on the back of these newer devices would be a good compromise.
- Is everyone else's 'Classic Plucked Strings' preset just sounding like a basic square wave mallet sound? I don't think that's right. Faulty patch? If so, could it be corrected please? Anyone else spotted any more?

Good to see great devices like Objekt coming out. My faith in RS has been rather dented in the past year or so, but it look like they're very much back on top of the situation now and about to forge ahead again.

Matti

11 May 2023

I wanted to see what it was like using it as a processor for beats like how I use Corpus for Live, and I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I went a little overboard and made this prank sounding track. Sounds like your speakers are blown! I promise - this isn't just redlining - listen to that rattle!

Btw - little UI tip. For the first stage in Modal/Object 1/2, the KBD tracking indicator can't be clicked off - you have to click and drag left to turn off. A little unintuitive, I think.

Last edited by Matti on 11 May 2023, edited 1 time in total.

jfrichards

11 May 2023

bjmatt wrote:
11 May 2023
I always hoped someone would create a worthy competitor to Logic Sculpture and for me Objekt does the job and more.
I didn't realize Logic had made something similar to Objekt 19 years ago. Now I'll have to go through Logic carefully after having stopped using it for years (I switched to Reason for its musician-friendly approach).

aeox
Competition Winner

11 May 2023

Thanks, bout time ;)

joeyluck

11 May 2023

ryanharlin wrote:
11 May 2023
That’s one of FOUR I put in! Did you think I would make it that easy to find them all?? Two are JoeyLuck-relate and two are Friends references in keeping with your gifs
Ok I'm home from work now and I think I found the rest :D

Easter Egg Prize lol.jpg
Easter Egg Prize lol.jpg (327.8 KiB) Viewed 6451 times

This very large Hangdrum download of mine :lol:
Hangdrum Monster.png
Hangdrum Monster.png (83.27 KiB) Viewed 6451 times

How Udu'in? This pun is amazing haha
Howudoin.png
Howudoin.png (182.56 KiB) Viewed 6451 times

Woopah!
woopah.png
woopah.png (152.65 KiB) Viewed 6451 times

Thanks so much for the easter eggs!! Now I'm off to play with Objekt :D

_andreypetr_

11 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
11 May 2023
ryanharlin wrote:
11 May 2023
That’s one of FOUR I put in! Did you think I would make it that easy to find them all?? Two are JoeyLuck-relate and two are Friends references in keeping with your gifs
Ok I'm home from work now and I think I found the rest :D

Easter Egg Prize lol.jpg

This very large Hangdrum download of mine :lol:

Hangdrum Monster.png

How Udu'in? This pun is amazing haha

Howudoin.png

Woopah!

woopah.png

Sooo cute :lol:
Best wishes, Joey!

Popey
Competition Winner

11 May 2023

Aosta

11 May 2023

A test for me that I'm really into something is if I go to take a sip of my tea and find out I've been so engrossed in what I was doing the mug is stone cold...my tea is cold and this weird Objekt has passed the test! Wow :shock: :clap:
Right off to put the kettle on again...
Tend the flame

jam-s

11 May 2023

Popey wrote:
11 May 2023
I was wondering if you could send stuff from outside of the RRP (eg an audio track in live) but off the top of my head cannot think of any rs device in the rrp that would receive the audio and then be able to patch to the audio in of objekt. It's not a problem as I will just use rs devices for this.
If should be easy to do when using the FX style RRP by simply connecting the audio input to the exciter input of Objekt.

Carambo

11 May 2023

Does someone have also AAS Chromaphone, is there a big difference, except audio input ?

Popey
Competition Winner

11 May 2023

So Much fun. Used a sampled kick, open hat and clap for a solid foundation (have not tried making these yet) but everything else is Objekt.

Oper-8

11 May 2023

@Fraxis : Yup, I feel the same about the "Classic Plucked Strings" patch.

@Carambo : I would say it goes way deeper than Chromaphone and Resonans.

So I could test Objekt a bit more. Well, for now, I'm still fiddling, messing around randomly from scratch or starting from the factory patches. Some of them (Udu, Timpani, Acoustic Bass, to name a few) are wonderful !
I noticed a slight bug : the Template display stays on "Select" when you load up a patch. There's a template selected in the drop-down menu (but not on the display), but it doesn't seem to match the template contained in the patch that was loaded.
Speaking of that display : maybe it would be nice to have icons there instead of names ?
Sync music : Pond5 | Sound design : Vimeo | Ambient, Downtempo : Oper-8 | Shoegaze, Synthwave : Fake Luxury

_andreypetr_

11 May 2023

Reason studios new device revealed their dark secrets
Cry Baby.cmb.zip
(4.09 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

wendylou

11 May 2023

Quick experiment using BeatMap to drive Objekt via CV while concurrently triggering Reason Drum Kit. Fun! :puf_smile:

:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

mimidancer

11 May 2023

Quarmat wrote:
10 May 2023
joeyluck wrote:
10 May 2023
@Ryan I found the easter egg!! (at least this one) Thank you! :lol:
Lots of videogames references in the patch names too: Zelda (Gerudo Santur, Sand Sanctuary), Monkey Island (Island Melee), Final Fantasy (Kugane Castle)!

When Ryan played that crystal sound in today's video, I thought he was about to play the lick. I was so sad when he did not.

challism

11 May 2023

joeyluck wrote:
11 May 2023
ryanharlin wrote:
11 May 2023

Joey, Joey, Joey!
Joey Luck:The OBJEKT of Ryan's Easter Eggs.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

jfrichards

11 May 2023

Objekt is like the Logic Sculpture from 20 years ago but it also has audio inputs on the back, so it will modify voice, guitar, and any instrument, real, or synthetic, such as all the devices in Reason. This may not be as earth-shaking as what Guttenburg and his press did for language, but it's in the same direction.
Logic Skulpture 19.png
Logic Skulpture 19.png (927.81 KiB) Viewed 6119 times

gbuck

11 May 2023

jfrichards wrote:
11 May 2023
Objekt is like the Logic Sculpture from 20 years ago but it also has audio inputs on the back, so it will modify voice, guitar, and any instrument, real, or synthetic, such as all the devices in Reason. This may not be as earth-shaking as what Guttenburg and his press did for language, but it's in the same direction.Logic Skulpture 19.png
Yeah, but they spelled objekt wrong back then.

challism

11 May 2023

gbuck wrote:
11 May 2023
jfrichards wrote:
11 May 2023
Objekt is like the Logic Sculpture from 20 years ago but it also has audio inputs on the back, so it will modify voice, guitar, and any instrument, real, or synthetic, such as all the devices in Reason. This may not be as earth-shaking as what Guttenburg and his press did for language, but it's in the same direction.Logic Skulpture 19.png
It appears as though the French are responsible for originally misspelling the word.
obiectum.jpg
obiectum.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 6086 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

gbuck

11 May 2023

challism wrote:
11 May 2023
gbuck wrote:
11 May 2023

It appears as though the French are responsible for originally misspelling the word.
obiectum.jpg
It was just an obicerevation.

deeplink
Competition Winner

12 May 2023

Let's give Mattias and the Reason team some love over at the sonicstate channel

Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Faastwalker

12 May 2023

Objekt is just about perfect! The only thing missing ................ is the merchandise :D

• Information