Objekt has arrived!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Aosta

03 Jul 2023

SebAudio wrote:
03 Jul 2023

Thanx for posting, amazing !
It really is a somewhat mindblowing video isn't it. Shows how versatile and useful this RE is, one of the best 'inhouse' releases yet.
Tend the flame

robussc

03 Jul 2023

Faastwalker wrote:
28 May 2023
Aosta wrote:
28 May 2023
I wonder if there are any plans to bring Objekt to IOS? Think it would make a great app though I'm not sure if I read somewhere they have abandoned that area of development.
Seems unlikely. Not much happening on the iOS front for a while from RS unfortunately. But, They did make Europa into a VST plug-in. Maybe an Objekt VST might happen? Seems to be a good amount of interest outside of Reason circles for Objekt.
It is a VST already, thanks to the RRP. And that seems to be the way RS are handling it going forward. Makes sense, and gives all the REs VST support too "for free".
Software: Reason 12 + Objekt, Vintage Vault 4, V-Collection 9 + Pigments, Vintage Verb + Supermassive
Hardware: M1 Mac mini + dual monitors, Launchkey 61, Scarlett 18i20, Rokit 6 monitors, AT4040 mic, DT-990 Pro phones

DaveyG

04 Jul 2023

robussc wrote:
03 Jul 2023
Faastwalker wrote:
28 May 2023

Seems unlikely. Not much happening on the iOS front for a while from RS unfortunately. But, They did make Europa into a VST plug-in. Maybe an Objekt VST might happen? Seems to be a good amount of interest outside of Reason circles for Objekt.
It is a VST already, thanks to the RRP. And that seems to be the way RS are handling it going forward. Makes sense, and gives all the REs VST support too "for free".
"For free", apart from having to buy Reason to use just one of its synths as a VST. One of the mags reviewed Objeckt recently. It's rare to see an RE get a review but I wondered how many non-Reason people got excited by it then discovered the catch. I also wonder if it's possible to buy an RE in the RS shop with an account that doesn't own Reason. That would pi$$ you off, although I assume they would refund it when asked.

crimsonwarlock

04 Jul 2023

DaveyG wrote:
04 Jul 2023
"For free", apart from having to buy Reason to use just one of its synths as a VST. One of the mags reviewed Objeckt recently. It's rare to see an RE get a review but I wondered how many non-Reason people got excited by it then discovered the catch. I also wonder if it's possible to buy an RE in the RS shop with an account that doesn't own Reason. That would pi$$ you off, although I assume they would refund it when asked.
There are several great instruments that are locked to a specific DAW, and they won't integrate in your DAW of choice. Camel Audio Alchemy comes to mind. Not only do you need to buy the DAW it runs in, you must even buy a specific computer to use it.

Besides, people where buying Reason before, to rewire it into their DAW of choice.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

DaveyG

04 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Jul 2023
DaveyG wrote:
04 Jul 2023
There are several great instruments that are locked to a specific DAW, and they won't integrate in your DAW of choice. Camel Audio Alchemy comes to mind. Not only do you need to buy the DAW it runs in, you must even buy a specific computer to use it.

Besides, people where buying Reason before, to rewire it into their DAW of choice.
But imagine how many more Objekts they might sell on the back of that review if it came with a free, empty RRP.

_andreypetr_

04 Jul 2023

DaveyG wrote:
04 Jul 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Jul 2023

But imagine how many more Objekts they might sell on the back of that review if it came with a free, empty RRP.
They fixing bugs for years and literally for years. What you talking about, they can't afford it (even if they will have empty RRP)

SebAudio

05 Jul 2023

Still trialing Objekt it’s obvious it can make realistic « acoustic » instruments or « object ». The « object » sections are great if not easy to « master » for me now.
The modal section is quite basic however : having used Plaits, Rings and Elements (thanks to VCV), I’ve enjoyed the « morphing » approach of the « structure » (or geometry) and « harmonics » (or « brightness ») on offer. Even if Objekt provides modulation of the frequency and decay of each filter I don’t think we can achieve something similar but I’d like to be wrong !

selig
RE Developer

05 Jul 2023

DaveyG wrote:
04 Jul 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
04 Jul 2023

When beta testing RRP many devs including myself were pleading for this, seems like a super obvious way to draw folks into the Reason world. Most of my engineer friends don’t use Reason and are never going to purchase it just to use one or two plugins. :(

There would still be a few things to sort out, but such a gesture would seemingly provide a great way to appeal to folks not interested in Reason itself but who COULD be interested in a few specific devices (Objekt being the most recent/obvious example).

Not sure what is in the way of this happening…
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

05 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
05 Jul 2023
My guess is that the RRP uses a significant part of the DAW code in the background (basically all native devices, combinator, cable routing logic, etc.). The RRP is actually everything in the full DAW, minus the sequencer and the SSL mixer. So making a separated RRP product might mean they have to maintain two almost equally complex code stacks. With RS being a rather small company, it might simply come down to business economics.
-------
Analog tape ⇒ ESQ1 sequencer board ⇒ Atari/Steinberg Pro24 ⇒ Atari/Cubase ⇒ Cakewalk Sonar ⇒ Orion Pro/Platinum ⇒ Reaper ⇒ Reason DAW.

Aosta

05 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2023
My guess is that the RRP uses a significant part of the DAW code in the background (basically all native devices, combinator, cable routing logic, etc.). The RRP is actually everything in the full DAW, minus the sequencer and the SSL mixer. So making a separated RRP product might mean they have to maintain two almost equally complex code stacks. With RS being a rather small company, it might simply come down to business economics.
This makes sense, real shame they can't split the DAW because they would sell a ton of individual REs and not just Objekt.
Tend the flame

DaveyG

05 Jul 2023

Aosta wrote:
05 Jul 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Jul 2023

This makes sense, real shame they can't split the DAW because they would sell a ton of individual REs and not just Objekt.
I don't see why they couldn't ship the whole RRP thing but with the built-in devices disabled. Same code base. They could even choose to leave some of the simpler devices enabled, and maybe even something like Subtractor, as a taster of the "real thing". A gateway drug if you like.

The only reason they haven't done it is that they don't want to. Quite why is anyone's guess. I would have expected that their evil venture capitalist overlords would be looking to squeeze every last drop of money out of the ecosystem. Maybe I'll email Dave Verdane and ask him (please don't confuse him with the Megadeth guy).

SebAudio

05 Jul 2023

DaveyG wrote:
05 Jul 2023
Aosta wrote:
05 Jul 2023

I don't see why they couldn't ship the whole RRP thing but with the built-in devices disabled. Same code base. They could even choose to leave some of the simpler devices enabled, and maybe even something like Subtractor, as a taster of the "real thing". A gateway drug if you like.

The only reason they haven't done it is that they don't want to. Quite why is anyone's guess. I would have expected that their evil venture capitalist overlords would be looking to squeeze every last drop of money out of the ecosystem. Maybe I'll email Dave Verdane and ask him (please don't confuse him with the Megadeth guy).
I think the same. At one time they had a « intro » version of Reason (or whatever it’s name was). So they know how to make a « light » version. I think that people who wants some RE are only / already Reason « clients », that is people who are ok with buying the all thing even if it’s only to use the RRP. There are so many VSTi out there that if not interested in the all Reason concept, few people are going to buy 1 RE. No wonder they’ve gone with RRP and not continuing with specific VST after Europa : it didn’t sell well.

PhillipOrdonez

05 Jul 2023

Aosta wrote:
05 Jul 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Jul 2023

That was a guess. We don't know if this is the case or how difficult or easy it is.

crimsonwarlock

05 Jul 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
05 Jul 2023
That was a guess. We don't know if this is the case or how difficult or easy it is.
It's an educated guess (I've been running several software companies for 40 years now). Maintaining two separate code stacks pretty much means double the number of devs, even if the stacks share code. If you don't believe me, just read The Mythical Man Month :puf_wink:
-------

Popey
Competition Winner

05 Jul 2023

Someone on here mentioned that for each free rack rs would have to pay code meter but the new authorisation in house negates this.

Personally I hope this is true as I think a fair few of the players and synths would be of interest to others with a lower cost barrier of entry. There are probably a fair few people that have used reason in the past but perhaps do not have a version with RRP.

Would open up a new potential audience for rs and re devs and if possible would be a great move imo.

PhillipOrdonez

05 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Jul 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
05 Jul 2023
It's an educated guess (I've been running several software companies for 40 years now). Maintaining two separate code stacks pretty much means double the number of devs, even if the stacks share code. If you don't believe me, just read The Mythical Man Month :puf_wink:
That's the thing, it may not be two code stacks 🤷‍♂️ we don't know

crimsonwarlock

06 Jul 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
05 Jul 2023
We do know it is currently one code stack. It has been said (I think it was Mattias) that the RRP uses the Reason DAW in the background. As I see it, the RRP is just a VST connector with an alternative front end for the DAW, which makes a lot of sense from a development perspective.
-------

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Jul 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
05 Jul 2023
We do know it is currently one code stack. It has been said (I think it was Mattias) that the RRP uses the Reason DAW in the background. As I see it, the RRP is just a VST connector with an alternative front end for the DAW, which makes a lot of sense from a development perspective.
What makes you think it'll be two then?

crimsonwarlock

06 Jul 2023

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Jul 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Jul 2023

You obviously didn't read my previous replies here. I said that splitting the RRP into a separate product (without the DAW) would probably need two code stacks to be maintained. Currently it is one product, so it is one code stack.
-------

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Jul 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
06 Jul 2023

You obviously didn't read my previous replies here. I said that splitting the RRP into a separate product (without the DAW) would probably need two code stacks to be maintained. Currently it is one product, so it is one code stack.
You do not understand what I'm trying to get at.

One stack, but with limited or blocked functionality, and the same stack without those blocks or limits.

selig
RE Developer

06 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
05 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
05 Jul 2023
Maybe, but they’ve already done this with various “Reason Intro/Lite/Essentials/Adapted” versions over the years, with most native devices removed (so it’s certainly easy enough/possible to do). Which may mean they see no way of justifying this because they don’t believe it would increase sales enough to make sense. Remember, they make at least 30% of every RE sold, so if removing the “pay wall” to run REs isn’t going to increase RE sales then it’s more about how they feel about the strength of RE format on it’s own, which may be influenced by the lack of interest in Europa as a VST a while back.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

06 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Jul 2023
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
05 Jul 2023
This seems to imply that a free RRP could simply do the same, no? The current RRP simply ignores all of the Sequencer and Mixer features as you describe it. A free version could therefore ignore MORE features in the same way if this is true. Or am I missing something that makes it possible for one but not the other?
Selig Audio, LLC

crimsonwarlock

06 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
06 Jul 2023
A free version could therefore ignore MORE features in the same way if this is true. Or am I missing something that makes it possible for one but not the other?
Ignore features is not the same as removing features. What you describe is a version that still installs the full DAW, but the full DAW is completely disabled while it still delivers the needed functionality for the RRP. That makes no sense to me at all.
-------

PhillipOrdonez

06 Jul 2023

crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Jul 2023
selig wrote:
06 Jul 2023
A free version could therefore ignore MORE features in the same way if this is true. Or am I missing something that makes it possible for one but not the other?
Ignore features is not the same as removing features. What you describe is a version that still installs the full DAW, but the full DAW is completely disabled while it still delivers the needed functionality for the RRP. That makes no sense to me at all.
It makes perfect sense! The standalone could just load the rack and sequencer and mixer with nothing but the devices the license unlocks.

DaveyG

06 Jul 2023

selig wrote:
06 Jul 2023
crimsonwarlock wrote:
06 Jul 2023

This seems to imply that a free RRP could simply do the same, no? The current RRP simply ignores all of the Sequencer and Mixer features as you describe it. A free version could therefore ignore MORE features in the same way if this is true. Or am I missing something that makes it possible for one but not the other?
That's how I was seeing it too. The only downside is the likely size of the download and the slow loading time for what the end user will think of as a empty rack. But I think it could be an easy way in for RS. If it takes off they could then consider whether more software effort to streamline it might be justified.

• Information